E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

CIC Retrofit Installation LOG

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 03:57 AM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yesterday I did put new controller in the car and its working. I am not totally happy with the fitment of the bezel. Even my skills with the rotary tool were not that good hence I could not produce the result I was expecting. Its hard to cut thick aluminium and plastic and also using bezel its difficult to mark exact guide line where bezel will fit. Also bezel lip underside is angled so whatever you do bezel lip will show undercut rough aluminium, unless you do very precise job. I can live with this for the time being, however as soon as I spot a new CIC trim I will probably go for that.

Here are some pics of the install. This is applicable on E60 LCI model only. You will need to dash trim off trim off, I had to do it anyway because I wanted to install USB too.

Most of the instruction related to removing center console is same as Peter's but since this is LCI its bit easy. Best part is you don't have to take shifter level out. Push the gear level base circular sorround and the lift up the aluminium bezel (the one with black sorround and raised aluminium) by fingers. This will reveal 3 screws.

Take them off and it pry off the trim. You will need to undo the two screws (they are black coloured as shown besides the right hand side hanging red connector, other one hidden behind shifter lever) connecting horizontal to the dash too.

Take the rear bit off (refer to Peter's guide same steps) , pull handbrake trim out of handbrake (not completely) and pull handbrake to the highest possible angle. Remove two bolts in the rear behind cigarette lighter socket and two at the front sides after removing their convering trim.

Lift up the console and it will clear out.

Getting ready for surgery.

Cables ready for reshuffling

All installed

Rough edges

Manageable for the moment

I know its not full diy but most of steps are same described by Peter earlier somewhere in this post.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

I too found that the frame doesn't fit flush against the trim. I got around this by putting glue around the entire bezel and then clamping the bezel all around to the trim and kept it overnight. It now seems fine and ofcourse doesn't move as well - which is a bonus.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:21 PM
Members

Is there a way to play mp3 directly from the USB drive. Also can I create playlist etc. in it?
Please don't tell me these features are for future generation of iDrive.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

Originally Posted by AI001
Is there a way to play mp3 directly from the USB drive. Also can I create playlist etc. in it?
Please don't tell me these features are for future generation of iDrive.
if you meant the USB of the CIC, then no. The USB of the CIC is only for import/export from the CIC.

For MP3 you need the 6FL via the Combox or similar.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:36 AM
Members

So I will take no video from USB too... what a shame. Such an expensive device and nowhere near what it is physically capable of.
If I get combox does that mean I need to install a few more USB sockets in the centre console and would that play video from USB and music with playlist etc too?

BT (A2DP) audio is nice option on its own, I don't think anything else is required once audio streaming from phone works. I am not Apple fan boy, so don't use i stuff, hence not really bothered about apps and other thingy related to iPhone only. Slightly off topic: I read everywhere people giving excuse for their poor quality photos of diy taken from iPhone; guess what I took mine too from a phone (non-Apple) and I don't think its bad quality. LOL
Old 07-05-2011, 05:20 AM
Contributors

yes combox gives you USB audio etc.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:05 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
yes combox gives you USB audio etc.
Yeah, good to know this. I am getting inclined towards media combox too. Telematics is costly over here, dealership quoted me this price for following part numbers:
84109257161 - £374.71 + VAT (telematics)
84109257160 - £214.71 + VAT (media)

What I need to know once I get combox installed :
Can I can play video using USB (which format)
Audio with Playlist using USB
and Internet too or not

Would media combox allow SOS atleast? I am not paying BMW £120/pa for Assist subscription. Free subscription ends later this month.

If not its not for me, I can just put a2dp bluetooth device to my dension gw500 for less then £80 :-)
My CIC's software is quite old (04/2009), not sure if it needs newer software to get combox first. In the trace file I see many CDMM BT options though.

Its going to be another project to install these too.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:28 AM
Members

Connected SSS to code newer version of IHKA to my car yesterday and SSS measure plan was insisting on this. I was tempted to accept SSS's plan but additional code option kept me away and I cancelled it. What could have happened if continued with this?

I did update my IHKA using WinKFP after a bit of struggle. However I was worried about many module in my car not having my car's VIN number, like LDM/ICM, ACC, CDC, CCC (obvious). When my car went in service last year these parts were replaced under warranty and service manager told me that they have problem with the coding. I believe they could not do it properly at all. However updating software codes it to my VIN, I tried CDC and it had my VIN afterwards. I didn't affect functionality. Is having my VIN against all the module necessary? I am tempted to do LDM/ICM and ACC. What impact will it have if I update CIC (using OPS interface) too?
Attached Thumbnails CIC Retrofit Installation LOG-bmw-sss-2011-07-06-14-55-34.png   CIC Retrofit Installation LOG-bmw-sss-2011-07-06-14-55-47.png   CIC Retrofit Installation LOG-bmw-sss-2011-07-06-14-55-47.png  
Old 07-07-2011, 01:16 AM
Contributors

Can I can play video using USB (which format) : No, video playback so far is only from an ipod.
Audio with Playlist using USB : Yes this works (I think) I've not tried a playlist.
and Internet too or not : Internet will work, but depends on the phone being used and service provider allowing teethering.

Would media combox allow SOS atleast? I am not paying BMW £120/pa for Assist subscription. Free subscription ends later this month. : No SOS on media.

If not its not for me, I can just put a2dp bluetooth device to my dension gw500 for less then £80 :-) : Have you got the Dension working on the CIC, because I couldn't. Ofcourse I didn't try hard enough and replaced it with the Combox.

My CIC's software is quite old (04/2009), not sure if it needs newer software to get combox first. In the trace file I see many CDMM BT options though. : Your CIC will need to be updated. Combox support only came in with ISTA/P 2.40.0
[/quote]
Old 07-07-2011, 01:17 AM
Contributors

Can I can play video using USB (which format) : No, video playback so far is only from an ipod.
Audio with Playlist using USB : Yes this works (I think) I've not tried a playlist.
and Internet too or not : Internet will work, but depends on the phone being used and service provider allowing teethering.

Would media combox allow SOS atleast? I am not paying BMW £120/pa for Assist subscription. Free subscription ends later this month. : No SOS on media.

If not its not for me, I can just put a2dp bluetooth device to my dension gw500 for less then £80 :-) : Have you got the Dension working on the CIC, because I couldn't. Ofcourse I didn't try hard enough and replaced it with the Combox.

My CIC's software is quite old (04/2009), not sure if it needs newer software to get combox first. In the trace file I see many CDMM BT options though. : Your CIC will need to be updated. Combox support only came in with ISTA/P 2.40.0

Quick Reply: CIC Retrofit Installation LOG