E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

CIC Retrofit Installation LOG

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 05:09 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2007 Black Sapphire 535i

Good morning all,
I took my car out of winter storage yesterday and after driving around for a bit decided to get on with doing the Combox upgrade based on the hardware I received from Patryk a few months ago. swapping the TCU for the Combox, mounting and changing the main connector pin-out all went very well however the BNC cable connections were somewhat confusing. The older TCU module has three BNC connectors (White, Red and Black) whiles the new Combox module's BNC connectors are Yellow, Blue and Black. Moreover only the White cable connector from the car will fit correctly with the Yellow BNC connector on the Combox. The Red and black cable connectors do not fit with the Combox's Blue and Black BNC interfaces. (I'm not sure they are meant to anyways).

Can others who have already done this upgrade shed some light on the correct protocol for installation. Is the White cable connector from the car supposed to interface with the Yellow BNC connector on the Combox and is this the Bluetooth antenna? Additionally, given that we cannot physically connect the Red and Black cable connectors to the Combox, are these intended to be left out of the install modification circuit?

Thanks in advance for the feedback. Once I get past this, a little programming luv from Patryk and I should be good to go!

EDIT - We only need to use the White BNC cable from the car Interfaced with the Yellow BNC connector on the Combox.
Attached Thumbnails CIC Retrofit Installation LOG-tcu_01b.jpg   CIC Retrofit Installation LOG-combox_02b.jpg  
Old 04-08-2011, 05:14 AM
Contributors

Also for reference, as I am not sure if this was already posted. Here is the configuration change for the Main 26-pin connector.

The following cables have to be connected to the Combox Media:
- Bluetooth antenna - yellow connector
- Fiber optics (MOST)
- Main 26-pin connector based on the below pinout

TCU Pin# Combox Pin#
18 -> 1 Power+
21 -> 11 Mic O
19 -> 12 Mic-
36 -> 14 Gnd
1 -> 25 Mic+
Attached Thumbnails CIC Retrofit Installation LOG-combox_01b.jpg  
Old 04-08-2011, 05:18 AM
Contributors

I had asked Patryk this question yesterday and just received his reply via email! We only need to use the White BNC cable from the car Interfaced with the Yellow BNC connector on the Combox. The other two BNC connectors are not utilized.

Thanks Patryk! Great sucess. All that is left is programming.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:32 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just one addition:
The two antennas from the TCU we dont need any more are connection to the emergency call antennas.
Do to the fact that Combox Media doesn't has this feature we do not need them.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:14 PM
Contributors

The two antennas from the TCU we dont need any more are connection to the emergency call antennas.
Do to the fact that Combox Media doesn't has this feature we do not need them.
Thanks for the clarification Matt!!
Old 04-08-2011, 02:17 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

You have used a Combox Media, had you used the Combox Telematics all 3 connectors would have been used. The other connectors are for the GPS and the back-up aerial used only for the Telematics functions.
Old 04-09-2011, 04:49 AM
Contributors

Gotcha Bruce. Makes sense. I should get the programming done soon and I'll be on my way.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:11 PM
Contributors

Thanks for the programming help today Patryk. As usual it is much appreciated. Another successful remote Combox install under your belt.
Attached Thumbnails CIC Retrofit Installation LOG-combox1.jpg   CIC Retrofit Installation LOG-combox2.jpg  
Old 04-10-2011, 05:43 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 525i Titanium Grey Metallic/ Gray Dakota Leather

Finished coding for Combox today with Patryk and I am loving the new features Very impressed with Patryk services. I would highly recommend him...Thanks Patryk!!!
Attached Thumbnails CIC Retrofit Installation LOG-025.jpg   CIC Retrofit Installation LOG-027.jpg   CIC Retrofit Installation LOG-028.jpg   CIC Retrofit Installation LOG-029.jpg  
Old 04-11-2011, 12:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Many BMW's

Guys , anyone here has CIC with OEM Integrated Ipod Kit ,,, ??

Quick Reply: CIC Retrofit Installation LOG