E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

CIC Retrofit Installation LOG

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 11:53 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The entrance cover strip is held by 3 clips and then a small screw which you can access by removing the rear seat. There is no way getting around it--you also have to remove the rear backseat to route the wires. The special tool is a plastic wedge. If you don't already have it, buy youself a cheap "soft" plastic wedge trim removal pieces for less than 10 dollars. Not necessary but better than taking a chance of denting things with a screwdriver as leverage.

I just recently completed the 6FL/Aux to center console, if I get some more time will upload the pictures.

Originally Posted by D.W.D.
Have finally got my CIC installed and, with some coding help from Patryk this morning, it is working a treat! Massive improvement on the CCC. Big thanks to Patryk!

Next step, of course, is to install the Combox. Am currently stuck with how to run the USB and Aux cables from the Combox through to the centre console. I want to run the cables along the existing wiring loom route from the luggage compartment into the cabin but haven't been able to remove the plastic entrance cover strip inside the rear left door. TIS suggests a special tool is required but I'm sure there must be another way to remove it. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 05-10-2011, 06:09 PM
Members

Bruce, i'm based in the uk also,
Read you made a great job of your install and it looks like the best option, could you provide more details on your harness, install details via PM or in post, i've got a CIC retrofit kit coming from Patryk and have the Hifi option so just realising i'll have some additional install work....

Cheers

Steve

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
Today I finally set my sound system up on the CIC.

As everyone knows the Hi-Fi amp has changed between the CCC and the CIC. In the CIC the Hi-Fi amp drives all the speakers. To over-come this problem you have to buy an amp.

Here's what I did.

1. Reuse the old Hi-Fi amp to drive only the front speakers. I works perfect and it so small you can hide it above the glovebox in the front. All you need to do is rewire the CIC speaker outputs a bit. Take the CIC speaker outputs and feed them as amp inputs and then amp outputs feed back to the speaker wires. You can take power from the front fuse box as well.
2. Now replace the rear amp in the back with a new 4 channel amp. Use 2 channels to drive your sub woofers and the other 2 channels to drive your rear speakers. Getting to the rear speaker is very easy from inside the boot.

The sound is very good because the speakers are now all being driven by amps from low level outputs of the CIC.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:31 AM
Members

My Ride: E39 M5, E60 M5 and F06 M6GC
Model Year: 2000/2006/2016

Originally Posted by RootKit
The entrance cover strip is held by 3 clips and then a small screw which you can access by removing the rear seat. There is no way getting around it--you also have to remove the rear backseat to route the wires. The special tool is a plastic wedge. If you don't already have it, buy youself a cheap "soft" plastic wedge trim removal pieces for less than 10 dollars. Not necessary but better than taking a chance of denting things with a screwdriver as leverage.

I just recently completed the 6FL/Aux to center console, if I get some more time will upload the pictures.
Thanks Rootkit - have now got the rear seat out. It would be be really helpful if you were able to upload your pictures to see where you ran the cables.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:09 AM
Senior Members

Just to clarify:

All I need in my E61 LCI is the CIC, the screen and the controller right, no new trim panels etc. ?
Old 05-15-2011, 09:07 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by E60Sim
Just to clarify:

All I need in my E61 LCI is the CIC, the screen and the controller right, no new trim panels etc. ?

If you send me your VIN by email I will tell you what you need to buy to retrofit the CIC.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:30 AM
Members

I'm got a coding issue here: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...ml#post2075470
Old 05-18-2011, 12:03 PM
Contributors

sdt777, ventilation in pre-lci had more controls via idrive. I rarely adjust my climate using the idrive so it is something that I don't miss. The newer LCI I believe don't really have adjustments on idrive. When using the climate control it only sort of have a display confirm screen on idrive. I am not too sure since I don't know exactly how things are with the lci climate setting.

The vehicle and emission inspection can be set by the user....I have mine set at 2025 and didn't think it was really necessary to have it. Maybe depending on the region you are at, didn't have those two options. I'm sure it is very minor problem and another coding session should easily fix those options.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:18 PM
Contributors

Did the 6FL (USB/Aux) retrofit to Combox the other day. Depending on your car the trunk compartment or backrest may be removed differently. It would have been nice to be able to route wires without removing a lot of things in the way. Many trims/panels were removed: luggage compartment floor trim, wheel arch trim (right & left), door sill strip, backseat and backrest etc.

I placed the USB/Aux-in jack on the rear of center console, with some modification I'm sure it can be placed inside the console. Seems to be a limitation with earlier years car? For rear console installation, the center console can be partially disassemble. But if you are planning to install inside, then the center console must be taken fully apart. One of our member, pclausen did an excellent job of showing the complete center console removal earlier in this same thread.

Do give yourself a lot of time! I'm sure even a caveman can do it.

CIC Retrofit Installation LOG-001wheelarchcompartmentbattery.jpg
CIC Retrofit Installation LOG-002wheelarchcompartmentleft.jpg
CIC Retrofit Installation LOG-003rearseat.jpg
CIC Retrofit Installation LOG-004rearseatbuckles.jpg
CIC Retrofit Installation LOG-005doorsilltrim.jpg
CIC Retrofit Installation LOG-006trunkreleaselocks.jpg
CIC Retrofit Installation LOG-007backseat.jpg
CIC Retrofit Installation LOG-008combox.jpg
CIC Retrofit Installation LOG-009pins.jpg
CIC Retrofit Installation LOG-010passengerfootwell.jpg
CIC Retrofit Installation LOG-011centerconsole.jpg
CIC Retrofit Installation LOG-012centerconsole.jpg
CIC Retrofit Installation LOG-013centerconsole.jpg
CIC Retrofit Installation LOG-014wires.jpg
CIC Retrofit Installation LOG-015centerconsole.jpg
Old 05-19-2011, 05:16 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2007 Black Sapphire 535i

Great post RootKit,
I have to route Amp inputs to my CiC, video cable for rear camera and LCI Xenon headlight wires for the rear tails. I need to rip everything apart as you have done. I intend to do all the cabling in one shot so I don't have to take things apart three times.

Nice pics!
Old 05-19-2011, 06:39 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

what is the part number of the 6FL wire (USB+AUX) that you used from the Combox to the socket?

Also you could have bought a better socket that has the labels printed the right way around.

Quick Reply: CIC Retrofit Installation LOG