E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

CIC Retrofit Installation LOG

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 07:53 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

Originally Posted by hoverid
Another successful conversion by Patrys! Completed my M6 CCC to CIC conversion this weekend, with the help from Patrys. All hardware supplied by him, remote coding for less than an hour and everything is on the go! You are the man Patrys. Just need another tutorial session then all will be good. My conversion includes the new iDrive button and involves some modification to the center console. If anyone interested, i will post pics.
we love pics here
Old 06-05-2011, 09:34 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Many BMW's

waw ,, CIC on an M6 ,, did you really changed the whole center console , or you still using the CCC I-Drive
Old 06-08-2011, 08:00 AM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have taken a plunge and ordered a CIC unit for my LCI 5 series. I am a bit worried about centre console change for new controller, I want new controller but don't want to replace the whole centre console for it. I heard some people saying you can cut the trim and fit the new controller but need to buy a bracket, guess this is the route I will take. However I am not sure what else needs cutting under the trim.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:26 AM
Members

it`s pretty simple and straighforward if you buy from Patrik. U will get a adapter/trim for the controller. check the thread and u will see successful installs of it.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Black Sapphire 535i

I have taken a plunge and ordered a CIC unit for my LCI 5 series. I am a bit worried about centre console change for new controller, I want new controller but don't want to replace the whole centre console for it. I heard some people saying you can cut the trim and fit the new controller but need to buy a bracket, guess this is the route I will take. However I am not sure what else needs cutting under the trim.
AI001,
Given that this is a "monster" thread its understandable if you missed the information. You can cut your center trim to fit the new controller as others including myself, have done. Here's the page I posted the information on..and a few pics.

https://5series.net/forums/topic/994.../page__st__360
Attached Thumbnails CIC Retrofit Installation LOG-idrive03.jpg   CIC Retrofit Installation LOG-idrive09.jpg   CIC Retrofit Installation LOG-idrive05.jpg  
Old 06-09-2011, 07:17 AM
Members

Originally Posted by flo_sb
it`s pretty simple and straighforward if you buy from Patrik. U will get a adapter/trim for the controller. check the thread and u will see successful installs of it.
Isn't adapter trim following part numbers:

51169155970 Support bracket - £5.67
51169155987 Support frame - £5.67

Price is from a London dealer with VAT, if this the part then doesn't matter where you buy it from it should fit.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:25 AM
Members

Thanks for your input Georgieb, looks much better. I will do full retrofit definitely including the controller. btw did you need any bracket to mount usb port in the glovebox, wouldn't that go besides aux input (which I have on the rear side of centre console between vents). Would my car which is MY 2007 LCI E60 need any programming to get started. I know few people say its straight swap (except nav and voice will need fsc code) but others say you have to change your car build date to newer date? Leaves me a bit confused.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Black Sapphire 535i

Thanks for your input Georgieb, looks much better. I will do full retrofit definitely including the controller. btw did you need any bracket to mount usb port in the glovebox, wouldn't that go besides aux input (which I have on the rear side of centre console between vents)
There is an insert for the USB connector which is used in the same place that your flashlight currently sits. I decided to just let my port hang in the glove box as I never did get around to purchasing the USB insert mount. I can't remember what the part number for this bracket it but I'm sure its hidden with this thread somewhere.

Would my car which is MY 2007 LCI E60 need any programming to get started. I know few people say its straight swap (except nav and voice will need fsc code) but others say you have to change your car build date to newer date? Leaves me a bit confused.
If you are referring to the iDrive contoller swap, then I do not believe additional coding is required although the wiring harness and conductor pinout will have to be changed. If you are refering to your CIC, then coding is definately required. It may be best that you ask Patryk's advice on this.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails CIC Retrofit Installation LOG-cic04.jpg   CIC Retrofit Installation LOG-usb_location.jpg   CIC Retrofit Installation LOG-idrive07.jpg  
Old 06-09-2011, 08:14 AM
Members

This forum is very informative. I appreciate your input. My case is little bit complicated here. I want to do full CIC upgrade including the controller, I have already bought the hardware and its on the way. I can't afford costly FSC so going with chip solution which doesn't require FSC for nav and voice activation (but will require for the map upgrade, which isn't extortion). I do have standard audio setup (not HiFi or Logic7/Top HiFi) which I upgraded with separate amp (PDC-5 in the boot), I hope there is no change in standard audio setup pinout from CIC and also they are high level signals (don't mind low level too but that will require some change in my wiring, but easily doable). I understand my custom amp setup completely and can easily tweak it for any change in the CIC so all I need is to understand the change if any, otherwise it will be straight swap.

I have little bit of know-how on coding too (I am full time IT since more then a decade, doesn't help much here but gives a bit of confidence ) so it shouldn't be a massive job, if I am stuck I give you guys a shout.

Waiting for all my parts to arrive from various parts of world and perhaps I will start this project in two week's time.

wish me good luck.

EDIT: Forgot to say I have Dension GW500 too. Not sure how CIC will react to dension. What do you guys use for iPod connectivity with CIC other then dension? Perhaps CDC is like a useless brick to the new CIC atleast. I have replaced my CDC with dension.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:14 AM
New Members

Doing the lot, including the new iDrive controller. As my interior is full leather anyway, its worth to mod the center console for the new iDrive controller. Also with the new a/c control panel, and combox with 6fl. Havent really got the chance to try everything yet. Patryk is again very helpfull and efficient in doing the remote coding.
Attached Thumbnails CIC Retrofit Installation LOG-img_0599.jpg  

Quick Reply: CIC Retrofit Installation LOG