E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

CIC Retrofit Installation LOG

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 07:32 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i Silver Gray/ Gray Leather. SP,PP

Originally Posted by StasGS4
Pay it forward? So does that mean you are going to post a DIY for this mod after you retrofit your own?
There's plenty of info posted on the installation aspect of the retrofit. If you're talking about coding which I think you are that will NEVER be possible. Trust me!! Info will always be outthere for those that insist in doing this on their own, but to actually documented in a way rookies can understand... Not possible.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:48 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

Nelson and I talked for like 2 hours, he's a pretty cool dude. it was a small miss-communication but we are definitely on the same page now and I learned a TON from him yesterday about how getting the parts and installing/fabricating everything is just the beginning of the CIC retrofit process...i had no idea it was so difficult coding wise...

@ StasGS4 i will definitely contribute whatever i learn, but it appears that most of the install info is already on this thread. as for the coding, im still trying to figure all that stuff out...but anything i learn im down to share. however, if someone charges me for their services and requests that i keep it proprietary then ill definitely oblige them...im just not sure where things will shake out right now.

yesterday i was SUPER excited because i had procured all my parts necessary for the installation thinking that the coding solution was easily out here on the forum for me to learn (like the CCC nav coding was), but that's not the case so now im a bit overwhelmed by the task before me. let the coding research begin!

Patrick, ill be shooting you a PM for a coding quote. Nelson gave a glowing review of your professionalism and abilities...something i could definitely use...
Old 08-19-2011, 06:57 AM
Members

Best thing will be to install the hardware first. Add 6VA to your VO options list, and code an empty .MAN file to your CIC. How to do these steps are explained in much detail elsewhere.

By coding empty MAN file your CIC will take defaults based upon the VO and then 99% of your options will be working and available (depending upon the hardware and software configuration of your car and the CIC).

For Nav and Voice just get pnp or pcb based can filter. You can get it first and then install them all in one shot. Don't worry too much about OEM and FSC codes, running CIC on non-CIC car can't be OEM compliant at the first place.

If anything else is not working you can see expert advise (paid or free, whatever you prefer).

To me this procedure worked nicely.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:01 AM
Senior Members

ok, all of those steps make sense. im not really sure if i want to do the blank .man file yet though....the CIC i bought is from a 2010 US 528i so the FSC codes are already present....i read about an aftermarket solution that will allow the FSC code to work even with my differering VIN. so installing, adding the 6VA option and writing the blank .man file would override the previous coding and FSC codes right? meaning if i want to go this aftermarket route...i will be shoointing myself in the foot before i start....hopefully (fingers crossed) i will be able to read the module and get the FSW file so i can save it for later and restore if necessary.

thoughts?
Old 08-19-2011, 08:03 AM
Members

Coding (job SG_CODERIN) will not overwrite your FSC. I have done it so many times before. My situation was just like yours.

If you use WinKFP there is a chance of losing FSC (and there is workaround that, you will need to go down this route only you want combox later, which I believe you definetely will ), so stay away from WinKFP/Tool32 and you should be fine.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

In fact even upgrading the software using WinKFP doesn't wipe out the FSC.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:40 AM
Senior Members

quick update w/ some questions too...

got my CIC nav unit, screen, CiC idrive controller and USB interface all installed last night. i went into full PANIC MODE for a bit during the install as my video screen and idrive controller would not power up. after a quick consult with Nelson29 i went out and bought a voltmeter and figured out that neither components were getting power. i have no idea what went wrong, but i ultimately tapped the power and ground lines for the CD Changer to power the screen and idrive controller. after some carefully wire rerouting, i got everything cleaned up and tucked away.

i am happy to report that everything is fully functional: screen, main unit and controller all work together flawlessly.

here are my remaining issues though: i have no sound, i assume i need to get in and code some things. I plan to adjust my VO w/ the proper option codes and some have suggested coding a blank .man file to the CIC in order for all the options to load (possibly directly from the CAS or LMA?) to the CIC. I have Logic7 so hopefully i wont experience the sub woofer issue that others had.

also, the cic recognizes my USB interface (i wired/routed that to my glovebox) but when i plug in my iphone it does not read it or display any playlists....it does charge the phone though. is this a coding thing too? the bluetooth wont connect to my iphone either....not a big deal, but curious as to why? is that a combox thing?

navigation: as i expected, the navigation does not work. the pre-existing fsc codes are present but of course wont work w/ my differing VIN number....this is a LOWER priority for me right now....but will address later....looking to reach out to Patrick for remote coding solution more than likely on this one or an emulator...still reading up on that one.

any help, ideas, links would be helpful to wrap things up as far as sound & ipod are concerned....those are my top priorities now...THANKS!
Old 08-24-2011, 11:59 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by umichchris
quick update w/ some questions too...

got my CIC nav unit, screen, CiC idrive controller and USB interface all installed last night. i went into full PANIC MODE for a bit during the install as my video screen and idrive controller would not power up. after a quick consult with Nelson29 i went out and bought a voltmeter and figured out that neither components were getting power. i have no idea what went wrong, but i ultimately tapped the power and ground lines for the CD Changer to power the screen and idrive controller. after some carefully wire rerouting, i got everything cleaned up and tucked away.

i am happy to report that everything is fully functional: screen, main unit and controller all work together flawlessly.

here are my remaining issues though: i have no sound, i assume i need to get in and code some things. I plan to adjust my VO w/ the proper option codes and some have suggested coding a blank .man file to the CIC in order for all the options to load (possibly directly from the CAS or LMA?) to the CIC. I have Logic7 so hopefully i wont experience the sub woofer issue that others had.

also, the cic recognizes my USB interface (i wired/routed that to my glovebox) but when i plug in my iphone it does not read it or display any playlists....it does charge the phone though. is this a coding thing too? the bluetooth wont connect to my iphone either....not a big deal, but curious as to why? is that a combox thing?

navigation: as i expected, the navigation does not work. the pre-existing fsc codes are present but of course wont work w/ my differing VIN number....this is a LOWER priority for me right now....but will address later....looking to reach out to Patrick for remote coding solution more than likely on this one or an emulator...still reading up on that one.

any help, ideas, links would be helpful to wrap things up as far as sound & ipod are concerned....those are my top priorities now...THANKS!
In case you are considering an emulator

Old 08-24-2011, 06:42 PM
Senior Members

ok so a couple questions....

right now im only trying to get sound working...all the other stuff is secondary right now. here is where im stuck...

i cannot add the option code $6VA to my VO...when i try to add it to the CAS or LMA i get an invalid code error. so my initial thought is to update my vehicle build date to say #0909 or something like that then attempt to add the option code $6VA....but each time i try to add the #0909 or even an older date of #0907....it wont stick in the CAS or the LMA....my original date of #1203 just pops right back in after i hit 'ok'.

...is this because i need updated DATEN files?

to my understanding i need to perform the following to get my audio to work (Logic7):
  1. Change vehicle build date to #0909
  2. Add option $6VA to my CAS and LMA so i can start coding the CIC
  3. Once the CIC is recognized as a module, i can then begin to code it (right?)
  4. Write a blank .man file to the CIC which should somehow allow my CIC to bring in the proper option codes (ie Logic7 audio and finally giving me sound)
i need help here....either free or paid. if free post the answer here or PM....if paid send me a quote via a PM or email me at umichchris (at) gmail dot com

thanks!
Old 08-25-2011, 04:59 PM
Senior Members

ok, thru a lot of patience, trial and error i was able to finally update my VO and FA with the proper codes to get my CIC to communicate with my car and NCS Expert...

only thing is, now i still dont have sound. the CIC now recognized a lot of components of my car it did not recognize before: cd changer, LMA, CAS....allows me to change settings to the car, etc.

but i cannot play media...if i insert a CD all the info pops up but it doesnt play (play count/time stays at zeros) and there of course is no sound. i have the CIC coded with top_hifi for logic7 which my car has...i can even see it in the menu now where i could not see it before coding today....but no sound.

do i need to update my amp? i see that as a solution in some other forums but im not sure how to go about that.

pics attached. i can also upload my .trc file from the cic if that helps....
Attached Thumbnails CIC Retrofit Installation LOG-photo-34-.jpg   CIC Retrofit Installation LOG-photo-33-.jpg   CIC Retrofit Installation LOG-photo-32-.jpg  

Quick Reply: CIC Retrofit Installation LOG