E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

CIC Retrofit Installation LOG

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 06:46 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2007 Black Sapphire 535i

Interesting. Hopefully that means the signals for controlling the iDrive knob are present on the connector that goes to the menu/voice control switch. Seems kinda odd.
I was just thinking the same thing. My console also has the menu button and button for voice control. I've noticed that based on some of the pre-LCI models, some cars do not have the voice control button and only the menu button populates this area.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:11 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i Silver Gray/ Gray Leather. SP,PP

Originally Posted by Georgieb
I was just thinking the same thing. My console also has the menu button and button for voice control. I've noticed that based on some of the pre-LCI models, some cars do not have the voice control button and only the menu button populates this area.
Good observation Nigel, my car only has the menu button and not the VC button. I have the same 4 pin connector for the Menu button as you guys, im pretty sure the idrive connector is also the same.

Check out this thread made by Technic about replacing his old controller for the new one. He has an 08 M3

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277690

Im trying to verify with Technic if his controller indeed only has one connector. If it indeed has only one connector my guess is the idrive controller was redesign when the LCI model was introduced.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:42 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 M5 w/ all options

Thanks for the link. Here's a zoom shot of the new iDrive controller wires that I stole from Technic thread:

We might need to move/swap some wires from the larger connector to the smaller one. Similar to what we had to do for the power connector for the display.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:56 AM
Contributors

A M5 board member with a 05 M5 was able to retrofit the new controller

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...on-log-12.html

We gonna be ok. We just have to figure out what the old controller cables correspond to the new controller. Im trying to get a hold of the schematics. Like Patryk said if e90 members were able to retrofit their cars with Idrive we should not have a problem figuring this out.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:59 AM
Contributors

@ Peter-

The other connector, how many cables does it have? 5 or 6? Just spoke with Technic and if it has 5, one is power, one is ground, 2 are the CAN cables and one is for illumination.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:00 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2007 Black Sapphire 535i

A M5 board member with a 05 M5 was able to retrofit the new controller
Nice Nelson, I see you already asked him the question regarding wiring configuration for the new controller. Hopefully he can give us some feedback also.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:00 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 M5 w/ all options

Originally Posted by nelson29
@ Peter-

The other connector, how many cables does it have? 5 or 6? Just spoke with Technic and if it has 5, one is power, one is ground, 2 are the CAN cables and one is for illumination.
There are 7 wires on the connector for the old iDrive. None of them would be for illumination.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:40 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

The idrive controller issue is weird, havent heard of anybody having that issue. Hopefully is something that can be fix via coding from Patryk!!!

Again congrats on the installation of your CIC Peter. Welcome to the CLUB!!!

I do recall I had this issue on my M-ASK to CCC retrofit on my pre-LCI. However, my car was pre-wired for navigation and thus a software update fixed this issue.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:46 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by pclausen
As for my iDrive controller issue, Patryk believes I need to get the dealer to upgrade my car to the latest software and that no additional coding on his part will solve the issue.

I just picked it up a month ago from a private seller and according to the service records, they checked for the latest software back on April 23, 2010 and found it to be current.

Is v26 that came out in 2007 the latest software, or should I be looking for something newer?

Nelson, do you know what software version you are on? I'm wondering what I should ask the dealer for as they also told me I was current when I took my car there a month ago when I first picked it up.

I replied to a previous post. I do believe this to be correct. it worked for me.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:44 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 545/6

Good observation Nigel, my car only has the menu button and not the VC button. I have the same 4 pin connector for the Menu button as you guys, im pretty sure the idrive connector is also the same.

Check out this thread made by Technic about replacing his old controller for the new one. He has an 08 M3

http://www.m3post.co...ad.php?t=277690

Im trying to verify with Technic if his controller indeed only has one connector. If it indeed has only one connector my guess is the idrive controller was redesign when the LCI model was introduced.

don't worry about the difference between the single menu button and the split menu/VR one- mine had the large menu button before I did the CCC retrofit, I installed the split menu/voice recognition unit and it worked (once I had the enabling code for the voice recognition, of course.) there was no wiring change necessary there.

of course, since those buttons no longer exist on the new controller, I don't know if/what that will mean for you guys.

Quick Reply: CIC Retrofit Installation LOG