E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

CIC Retrofit Installation LOG

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 12:16 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by AI001
After a lot of struggle finally I upgraded my CIC to the v41 latest version. I didn't write UIF to avoid any mess up with the stored FSCs. Despite upgrading Assist MyInfo still not working. Menus are changed, Update Assist is gone it always says Assist Activated, there is no specific option to trigger message update. My Assist subscription end later this month and I won't be able to investigate this further. I will leave Assist investigation to the side and move on to combox media setup now.

For upgrade I used OPS interface, which I have rented for a week. No, please don't try with OBD, its suicidal, read my posts here for experience I have been thru. Anyone local wants this interface?

Everything else in my car is working happily.
Did you upgrade the CIC to the latest E60 version or the E90 version. I notice that the E90 seems to have a more advanced software. I also know that in order to get the BMW Apps you need to again code the car as though it was an E90.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:40 AM
Members

Bruce, I upgraded to E60 first so:

CI62F1: was 9124157, after upgrade it became 9257182
CI63F1: was 9214946, after upgrade it became 9253419
CIA0F1: was 9214959, after upgrade it became 9257185

then I relized it was not right, I should can upgrade to E90 daten version so I did it again but just the first two:

CI62F1: was 9124157, after upgrade it became 9257182
CI63F1: was 9214946, after upgrade it became 9257171
Old 08-18-2011, 06:45 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST

Just ordered all my parts....they will be here on Monday. I am really eager to do this install/retrofit...the only thing im nervous about is the coding. Ive read through the first 25 pages of the 50 pages (lol) on this topic and havent seen much on coding advice (for the DIYers out here) do any of you have a link to coding information that i can start studying now? i recently coded a CCC retrofit so im a novice but have all the practical knowledge to perform coding (barely lol).

i bought a US spec CIC from a 2010 vehicle, so im hoping that all the maps and software are already loaded. if so perhaps i just need to code the unit to recognize my car/program my VIN to it...

thanks for the help and wish me luck!
Old 08-18-2011, 07:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i Silver Gray/ Gray Leather. SP,PP

Good luck finding the all the info you need. Most of us had to pay to play. It's funny how all of a sudden everybody in this board is DIYers?? I guess nobody wants to pay for service and expertise anymore, SMH
Old 08-18-2011, 07:46 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST

Yikes!

its not about being cheap or not wanting to pay to play....i love working on my car. i love learning to code my car. hell i even rolled my own fenders and did my brake work....not because of pricing or a lackadaisical stance on expertise, but because id rather do it myself. in our age, our society has become focused on the democratization of information. why would you want people to continue to pay to play when the information can be shared? why wish that everyone pay 3k or 4k just because the first few people who did this mod paid that much? im not looking to cheat the system, im looking to mod, have fun and learn. im kinda shocked that you would take my inquiry any other way.

i learned the whole process, bought my parts and got help coding my CCC nav system all on this very forum...all for a fraction of the cost that the people who were helping me initially paid.......why should the CIC nav system retrofit have to abide by a different set of rules?

if i were one of the people who already performed this mod, id be jumping to help others....give them short cuts and show them ways to maximize their budget and/or time...just take a peek at my threads/topics/contributions (tho not as extensive as yours, due respect).

before i got help for free on this very forum, i offered to PAY for remote coding. members like locomotivebart contacted me directly and helped me for free because he had been in my situation in the past and others helped him. for that i am very thankful.

pay it forward.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:29 AM
Members

I fully agree with umichchris's point. Why its funny to everyone as DIYers here? Isn't this the basic idea of this forum and many others. This is DIY and information sharing place I believe, unless I have mistaken this for an online shop.

I have done CIC retrofit myself and all went well atleast 99%. I would rather save money to spend on future retrofit like combox now
Old 08-18-2011, 09:53 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 525xi

Originally Posted by nelson29
Good luck finding the all the info you need. Most of us had to pay to play. It's funny how all of a sudden everybody in this board is DIYers?? I guess nobody wants to pay for service and expertise anymore, SMH

Originally Posted by umichchris
Yikes!

its not about being cheap or not wanting to pay to play....i love working on my car. i love learning to code my car. hell i even rolled my own fenders and did my brake work....not because of pricing or a lackadaisical stance on expertise, but because id rather do it myself. in our age, our society has become focused on the democratization of information. why would you want people to continue to pay to play when the information can be shared? why wish that everyone pay 3k or 4k just because the first few people who did this mod paid that much? im not looking to cheat the system, im looking to mod, have fun and learn. im kinda shocked that you would take my inquiry any other way.

i learned the whole process, bought my parts and got help coding my CCC nav system all on this very forum...all for a fraction of the cost that the people who were helping me initially paid.......why should the CIC nav system retrofit have to abide by a different set of rules?

if i were one of the people who already performed this mod, id be jumping to help others....give them short cuts and show them ways to maximize their budget and/or time...just take a peek at my threads/topics/contributions (tho not as extensive as yours, due respect).

before i got help for free on this very forum, i offered to PAY for remote coding. members like locomotivebart contacted me directly and helped me for free because he had been in my situation in the past and others helped him. for that i am very thankful.

pay it forward.
That is exactly the attitude more people need to have! There are two really big (and common) areas where I think the phrase "knowledge is power" comes into play.. computers and cars.

I'm a big tech guy, UNIX admin, web dev, local go-to-fixit-guy, bunch of other stuff in between. It pains me to see how many people get ripped off by Geek Squad and the like for stupid stuff, and on top of that they try to sell them on crappy AV software and the like. Same applies to cars. A shady mechanic (and/or dealership) will jump at the opportunity to sell you on stuff you don't need, or tell you things are wrong when they are not.

It's only when you learn to do stuff yourself that you can be 100% sure of what you're getting. Not saying everyone is a crook though - plenty of repeatable and honest tech people and mechanics out there.

Of course, it's not practical for everyone to learn everything, so there will always be a business for those who do. It's all about how much value something is to you. Give that.. 1) I have the time 2) I have the knowledge 3) I'd enjoy doing it, paying someone to do a task for me is of zero value. If I don't have at least two of those three, then it's beneficial to me to pay someone else to do it.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i Silver Gray/ Gray Leather. SP,PP

Just spoke to umichchris for over an hour in the phone
Old 08-18-2011, 05:40 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice hope you guys kissed and made friends i love this forum and everyone has rights to there own opinions glad this one didn't get ugly lol
Old 08-18-2011, 05:50 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by umichchris
Yikes!

pay it forward.

Pay it forward? So does that mean you are going to post a DIY for this mod after you retrofit your own?

Quick Reply: CIC Retrofit Installation LOG