E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

CIC Retrofit Installation LOG

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 02:10 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jake-
Just want to report another successful CIC/combox retrofit in my E61-LCI:

I got the package from Patryk (CIC, combox media, 2x glove-box USB connector, coding ...). All parts were in excellent condition.

CIC installation was easy, most of the time was spent on finding a place for the USB connector in the glovebox (cut a hole in the top of the glove-box in the end). Navigation and VC were activated and almost everything was working out of the box (nice job Patryk!).

Combox installation was a little more difficult lying in the trunk rewiring the tcu connectors to the new layout of the combox. I installed the second USB connector to the 6FL connector of the combox (lying about under the floor trim) to be able to use a usb-stick or updating the combox.
After connecting the combox I lost phone, bt, VC and got a emergency-call error every time I started the car.

In the coding session Patryk fixed all of this, activated HUD, 6FL, ventilated seats, DVD-in-motion ... Everything is working as expected now :-)

PROS: CIC is worth the money: fast, nice resolution, HD for mp3

CONS: Combox seems to be a dead end for me as BMW decided to not enable the 6NR code for the E60/61 in the CIC. So no apps for me (would have kept the TCU knowing this)

Whats left is trying to get the armrest cradle to charge my mobile again. Any ideas how to rewire the old TCU power for the cradle to the new combox?

Thanks to Patryk again for his very professional work and his patience. This guy knows what he is doing!

jake-
Thanks for all kind words!

As for the 6NR option (BMW Apps) it is not available for the E60. In fact it is available but only for the Chinese software, which cannot be used with your Euro or US CIC.
I will keep working on a solution though.

The Combox and the 6FL will add the following features to the CIC:
- Album art cover
- Internet access
- Office menu
- Bluetooth Audio
- BT connectivity is improved

Not all phones are fully supported (www.bmw.com/bluetooth), but I think it's still worth installing the Combox...
Old 04-04-2011, 02:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

I'd like album art cover but it sucks that BMW don't support Iphones on the combox.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:31 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Patrys
Thanks for all kind words!

As for the 6NR option (BMW Apps) it is not available for the E60. In fact it is available but only for the Chinese software, which cannot be used with your Euro or US CIC.
I will keep working on a solution though.

The Combox and the 6FL will add the following features to the CIC:
- Album art cover
- Internet access
- Office menu
- Bluetooth Audio
- BT connectivity is improved

Not all phones are fully supported (www.bmw.com/bluetooth), but I think it's still worth installing the Combox...
No bad feelings about this.

- Album covers: nice
- Internet: working, but with emulated keyboard and mouse of course (besides you have internet access on the device that is tethering to the cic)
- Office menu: paired with my iphone only contacts show up (might change with other phones as described above)
- BT Audio: No playlists or display of MP3-Tag info. Only next/previous song skiping.
- BT connectivity: same as with the old TCU as far as I can see (minus SOS and armrest cradle charging/antenna)

Everybody has to judge the costs vs. the improvement. Definitely an upgrade for cars without BT
Old 04-04-2011, 03:32 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by NavarroOne
I'd like album art cover but it sucks that BMW don't support Iphones on the combox.
The Album art works even on a normal USB stick.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:37 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by NavarroOne
The iphone is supported. BT-Audio Streaming, Contacts, Album covers, internet. Mail and text are for blackberry only I guess.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:41 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jake-
No bad feelings about this.

- Album covers: nice
- Internet: working, but with emulated keyboard and mouse of course (besides you have internet access on the device that is tethering to the cic)
- Office menu: paired with my iphone only contacts show up (might change with other phones as described above)
- BT Audio: No playlists or display of MP3-Tag info. Only next/previous song skiping.
- BT connectivity: same as with the old TCU as far as I can see (minus SOS and armrest cradle charging/antenna)

Everybody has to judge the costs vs. the improvement. Definitely an upgrade for cars without BT
The Office menu for iPhone sucks, but with my Nokia E72 I had text messages, calendar, reminders, To-do list, etc.

As for the BT connectivity I remember that with my old TCU it wasn't that much responsive, e.g. when I dialed a number and then hang up quickly cause the number was wrong and then took another action the Bluetooth seemed to hang for a few seconds.
Also one of my customers from the US driving 2010 X5 reported the voice quality in his case was much better with the Combox, he could always see who's calling, which not always worked with the TCU...
Old 04-04-2011, 11:50 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

The office menu works well even with the older SE phones.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:57 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Georgieb
The end result was a perfect match. Once I was satisfied with the way the bezel fit I removed the tape and started to take the center console in the car apart. For an excellent read on how to do this simply roll back a few pages in this thread to Peter's pictures and info.

Post #366 :

BMW Part Number 51169169999

~ 30 $

Old 04-07-2011, 09:35 PM
Members

Old 04-07-2011, 09:38 PM
Members

Originally Posted by bert69
Post #366 :

BMW Part Number 51169169999