E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 for Singaporeans

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 09:25 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 523iA

Have to add road test results on the Nuvi! Generally the Nuvi was able to lead me to destination but maps of some areas in Nilai are not very accurate. Although speed trap POIs warns you of probable speed traps, I find them a little irritating.... After awhile, I juz ignored the warnings. Maybe that's why I had to pay RM50 to Malaysia's friendly law enforcement agents on the way back last night. I think it is better to invest in Sixth Senses! Group Buy?

Coming back last nite, the Nuvi keep directing me to the 1st link even after I hit the Detour button several times.

The rated 4 - 8 hours operating life of batteries dont hold. Battery went kaput after 3.5 hours! Had to plug in power for remaining journey. I muz get our friendly installer to tap vehicle's power.

Based on my experience, I am really interested to invest in Garmin's maps!
Old 06-18-2006, 09:33 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by SFL33X' post='299524' date='Jun 19 2006, 01:21 PM
Sorry to hear about the molestation Leslie.

Re the spare tire... I actually threw my away when I changed to Runflats some 1 yr ago! Didn't know it has value!

Does anyone know the resale price for 4 x 16" Continentals 225x55xR16 with original MB rims? My dealer only willing to take them in (brand new) for $350 (for all 4 pieces!)....
33, for your info, normal runflats wont fit space for spare tires. thats what chin wah said. So if we want spare, must buy from PML. A monopoly!
Old 06-18-2006, 09:46 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Black 520i, Black leather interior, Active Steering, DSC, PDC, Ornamental grille, Audio Aux Input

Originally Posted by Edlee' post='299296' date='Jun 18 2006, 10:57 AM
Bring your along too leh. Would be nice to see both SLKs parked next to each other.
would love to - but mine doesnt get delivered till end Sep/Oct
that's why SFL33 got PI

making C&C give me 10-day-ly updates on progress of build - that's how often the status of an order gets updated on Merc's NetStar tracking system

the buggers have probably all but stopped work on the car because of world cup
Old 06-18-2006, 09:49 PM
lmk
Contributors

Originally Posted by SFL33X' post='299526' date='Jun 19 2006, 01:24 PM
Re the Garmin MalSingMaps... seems that the message thread at MalSinMaps has stopped since end May... no one seems to be addressing the lack of "street search" functionality in the Garmin/Nuvi devices for SGP...

I was tinkering with the POIloader and found that we can emulate the street search functionality... having a bunch of us update sections of the street directory (index on street names A-Z) and have them as POI. That should get us pretty close to where we want to go... instead of have to use our finger to scan the map on the device...

What do you guys think? Prof Lmk?
Malsing guys are still working on it as all (except for 60cx) new Garmin receivers refused to do address search. They think Garmin is trying to "disable"amatuer maps like malsingmaps.
POI loader is just another function named as GPX recogniseable by Garmin, so are the addresses input by the malsingmaps group. technically it is the same. let's wait for their solution first.

i had the chance to sit in my friend''s Granduer in Korea, i have to say the GPS system built in the car is superb! i was staying in Intercontinental COEX. we were in the Basement 3 car park and i wanted to go to a place nearby but not sure of the address. He just use his finger to point to the place near where i wanted to go, the receiver receives signals! and it is dead reckoned to even location of the basement car park lot!
The details is so good that i can tell by looking at the POI and pinpoint my destination just by pointing and not by entering address manually...GOSH! what a Hyundai! it has 13 speakers logic controlled processor and as a high fi geek, i am impressed with the sound.

Lack of sleep every night, World cup, the HD transmission in KOrea is also very good...but i still miss my HD TV at home.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:53 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BZSAB' post='299527' date='Jun 19 2006, 01:25 PM
The rated 4 - 8 hours operating life of batteries dont hold. Battery went kaput after 3.5 hours! Had to plug in power for remaining journey. I muz get our friendly installer to tap vehicle's power.

Based on my experience, I am really interested to invest in Garmin's maps!
Leslie,

if you don't have major jobs.. you can try TipTop on L3 of Sin Ming AutoCentre... (the end of the corridor after J4C)... I got mine done and Amerthyst525 had his done there too... Very quick and clean job... The Nuvi turns off itself after I stopped the car... and its very neat.

I will be fixing the AUX this Wed and should be ready to transplant your Left Kidney and Right Lung soon after... Already got the iPod Universal and Cigarette Lighter charger... and the Remote...
Old 06-18-2006, 10:09 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by SFL33X' post='299538' date='Jun 19 2006, 01:53 PM
Leslie,

if you don't have major jobs.. you can try TipTop on L3 of Sin Ming AutoCentre... (the end of the corridor after J4C)... I got mine done and Amerthyst525 had his done there too... Very quick and clean job... The Nuvi turns off itself after I stopped the car... and its very neat.

I will be fixing the AUX this Wed and should be ready to transplat your Left Kidney and Right Lung soon after... Already got the iPod Universal and Cigarette Lighter charger... and the Remote...
:'( This is a really low point in my life... selling organs! I muz say that the video would have been pretty good for my Malaysia trip to keep the kids occupied. Unfortunately, dun have iPod video and TV wont work in Malaysia. I am sure you could manually tune to some M'sia off air channels but was too occipied ducking license plates to bother.

Call me when you have made appointment with Ah Boa! Nuvi will lead me to your place
Old 06-18-2006, 10:16 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Black 520i, Black leather interior, Active Steering, DSC, PDC, Ornamental grille, Audio Aux Input

Originally Posted by BZSAB' post='299546' date='Jun 19 2006, 01:09 AM
:'( This is a really low point in my life... selling organs! I muz say that the video would have been pretty good for my Malaysia trip to keep the kids occupied. Unfortunately, dun have iPod video and TV wont work in Malaysia. I am sure you could manually tune to some M'sia off air channels but was too occipied ducking license plates to bother.

Call me when you have made appointment with Ah Boa! Nuvi will lead me to your place
hey! you coming over to see 33? i live in the same condo as 33
if memory serves - his SLK will be delivered tomorrow - so can meet up & watch the major op on his 5 series too. let ah bao get some practice before he does mine... haha

got to do the "daddy thing" once a week when i am not working nights then will come down & see you guys.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:46 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by eugeneloke' post='299549' date='Jun 19 2006, 02:16 PM
hey! you coming over to see 33? i live in the same condo as 33
if memory serves - his SLK will be delivered tomorrow - so can meet up & watch the major op on his 5 series too. let ah bao get some practice before he does mine... haha

got to do the "daddy thing" once a week when i am not working nights then will come down & see you guys.
Hi doc and 33, Onz, welcome mini meet up at yours and 33 place. Btw, part of the deal for my "organs" was for him to buy beers So, lets have drinks while we (at least me) drool over his new Merc.

Btw doc, tot your e60 already molested by Ah Boa and gang! Looking for seconds?

33... please remind Ah Boa to bring a longer antenna cable! Currently one of my powered antenna is mounted at the front wind screen which may not be the best position for TV reception. Was told that mounting the second powered antenna under the bumper will improve reception.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:57 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BZSAB' post='299520' date='Jun 18 2006, 11:15 PM
Wah leow! Away for 3 days and 4 pages to read! Btw, called Chin Wah for spare tires but they said they dont carry spares for e60. Instead, they recommended that I go back to PML. PML charging $559 exclusive of installation. Yes! Installation (can you believe it) to put spare tire in your trunk which they will charge close to $50. I think I will apply to be a mechanic at PML.... at the rate they charge, I can make mucho $$$ and retire in 2 years. Bro Ed was nice enough to offer his spare to me but I was already at the 2nd Link. Thanks Ed!
Leslie, Chin Wah don't sell the donut spare for the E60 i.e the official spare. Why don't you buy a trade-in 225 rim and a 2nd hand tyre from Chin Wah and use that when driving up north (fullsize spare is safer). For local roads just use a tyre repair kit. That's what I did when I changed out of the runflats. Total costs:

225 rim + tyre from Chin Wah - $150
Tyre repair kit + air pump - $120
E39 jack from junk yard - $30 (works for E60, I tried it!)
Total - $300
Old 06-19-2006, 01:04 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Fireplace' post='296416' date='Jun 12 2006, 11:53 PM
Hahaha...that's kind of funny isn't it. Told Stanley you are a good friend and asked him to take great care of your ride, and that we are very particular about our rides, and he reassure me he will do his best. And here we are, never met in person. Cool.

I am sure your ride will look as good as new. Here's the thing, it is easier for us to spot the minor difference in the workmanship after repair because we are sensitized to the fault area. But to most people who are not aware of the flaw would not notice anything out of ordinary. Best way to find out is to ask some friends to see if they can notice any irregularity on the body works after the repair. If most or all could not spot the difference, then the job is considered well done.

Lets catch up in the next meet up, by then I am sure your ride will be restored.
Hi Fireplace,

Are you joining us in the coming GTG on 24 June?

Stanley said my repair is progressing smoothly and I hope to have it back this Friday. This would be ideal as all of you guys can help me determine if the worksmanship by PML is acceptable.

Quick Reply: E60 for Singaporeans