E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

CIC Retrofit Installation LOG

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 02:55 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 M5 w/ all options

As for my iDrive controller issue, Patryk believes I need to get the dealer to upgrade my car to the latest software and that no additional coding on his part will solve the issue.

I just picked it up a month ago from a private seller and according to the service records, they checked for the latest software back on April 23, 2010 and found it to be current.

Is v26 that came out in 2007 the latest software, or should I be looking for something newer?

Nelson, do you know what software version you are on? I'm wondering what I should ask the dealer for as they also told me I was current when I took my car there a month ago when I first picked it up.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:56 AM
Members

Originally Posted by JWD
Thanks so much for posting these pics, too bad that I lost the 'first M5 race' but I hope I will have some time this afternoon to start the install.
Good luck with the install. Hopefully you won't have the issue with the iDrive controller that I have.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:33 AM
Members

Drove the car to work this morning and uncovered these additional issues:

* HUD display reads km/h, not miles/h.
* Outside temp reads Celsius, not Fahrenheit
* Mileage indicator shows km/liter, not miles/gallon
* Cruise control, interestingly enough, shows set speed in miles/h
* A/C compressor never comes on even though the LCI climate control otherwise appear to function correctly
* The engine cooling fan is on permanently once the engine is at operating temp

Hopefully all of the above will be fixed by coding to complete making the CIC standard instead of metric

Additionally, I discovered the following issues:

When I put in an audio CD, it does not begin playing. In fact, when I go to the CD/Multimedia section and then the CD section, after a while CD0 shows as unknown.

When I put in the Nav DVD 1, nothing happens.

I got an interface cable on order, so hopefully Patryk will be able to sort out these issues.

I might try putting the original climate controller back in tonight to see if my AC compressor comes back on and the engine cooling fan returns to normal.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:47 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i Silver Gray/ Gray Leather. SP,PP

Peter-

You can change the KM and temperature setting by going to the settings menu and clicking on language/units sub menu.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:55 AM
Members

Originally Posted by nelson29
Peter-

You can change the KM and temperature setting by going to the settings menu and clicking on language/units sub menu.
Thanks Nelson. As soon as I get the controller working, I'll try that. Did the CCC have an option to change units? I don't recall seeing that anywhere. I'm glad the CIC has this option.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:57 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pclausen
Thanks Nelson. As soon as I get the controller working, I'll try that. Did the CCC have an option to change units? I don't recall seeing that anywhere. I'm glad the CIC has this option.
Yes, The CCC had the option.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:00 AM
Contributors

As for my iDrive controller issue, Patryk believes I need to get the dealer to upgrade my car to the latest software and that no additional coding on his part will solve the issue.

I just picked it up a month ago from a private seller and according to the service records, they checked for the latest software back on April 23, 2010 and found it to be current.

Is v26 that came out in 2007 the latest software, or should I be looking for something newer?

Nelson, do you know what software version you are on? I'm wondering what I should ask the dealer for as they also told me I was current when I took my car there a month ago when I first picked it up.
To be honest im not sure what version im on but i i know they latest version should be V31+
Old 07-13-2010, 05:58 AM
Members

According to Patryk, the latest is v3.8 but at least version v3.2 is needed for the controller to function properly with the CIC.

If it turns out I'm at less than v3.2 and they want to charge me more than $100 to upgrade, I might as well just get the new controller.

Nelson, do you happen to know the dimensions of the new controller (length and width). I want to make sure I can cut my existing center trim to match without leaving a hole from the old menu and voice command buttons.

Thanks
Old 07-13-2010, 06:12 AM
Contributors

According to Patryk, the latest is v3.8 but at least version v3.2 is needed for the controller to function properly with the CIC.

If it turns out I'm at less than v3.2 and they want to charge me more than $100 to upgrade, I might as well just get the new controller.

Nelson, do you happen to know the dimensions of the new controller (length and width). I want to make sure I can cut my existing center trim to match without leaving a hole from the old menu and voice command buttons.

Thanks
Im pretty sure the dealer will want to charge you about $150-200 for the update. I dont know the exact dimemsion right now but i already did the measurements and there wont be a problem fitting it. the controller is huge.

Do you already have a shop in mind that can cut out the trim?
Old 07-13-2010, 06:28 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2007 Black Sapphire 535i

I always assumed that the car's CPU and OS software/firmware was one and the same as the CCC/CIC and iDrive firmware. Given your experiences I'm guessing now that the car has another CPU module with software independant of CIC, correct? If this is the case, and in this instance, when you go to the dealer, you are requesting a firmware update for the car's CPU and not the CIC?

Just want to ensure I have this straight.

Regarding the iDrive controller, I'll take some measurements at home and post tonight. As Nelson suggests the controller does seem bigger than the hole in the shifter panel for the old iDrive knob.

Quick Reply: CIC Retrofit Installation LOG