E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

CIC Retrofit Installation LOG

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 06:38 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 M5 w/ all options

Originally Posted by Georgieb
I always assumed that the car's CPU and OS software/firmware was one and the same as the CCC/CIC and iDrive firmware. Given your experiences I'm guessing now that the car has another CPU module with software independant of CIC, correct? If this is the case, and in this instance, when you go to the dealer, you are requesting a firmware update for the car's CPU and not the CIC?
Yes, that is now my understanding as well. Since I got a brand new CIC, it would stand to reason it already has the latest software. So I agree, there must be another processor somewhere that can be upgraded to version 3.2 or later to match. It's pretty confusing.

By NOT upgrading to 3.2 or later, do I possibly miss out on functionality/reliability that would otherwise be nice to have?

Regarding the iDrive controller, I'll take some measurements at home and post tonight. As Nelson suggests the controller does seem bigger than the hole in the shifter panel for the old iDrive knob.
Don't forget there are also the 2 buttons below the iDrive knob itself. Here's a picture of my interior where you can make out the buttons below the knob. Those are integrated in the new controller, so I want to make sure it is long enough to completely cover both factory holes in the center trim.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:40 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i Silver Gray/ Gray Leather. SP,PP

Originally Posted by Georgieb
I always assumed that the car's CPU and OS software/firmware was one and the same as the CCC/CIC and iDrive firmware. Given your experiences I'm guessing now that the car has another CPU module with software independant of CIC, correct? If this is the case, and in this instance, when you go to the dealer, you are requesting a firmware update for the car's CPU and not the CIC?

Just want to ensure I have this straight.

Regarding the iDrive controller, I'll take some measurements at home and post tonight. As Nelson suggests the controller does seem bigger than the hole in the shifter panel for the old iDrive knob.
Correct. you are requesting the update on the car CPU.

The problem is if you have the CIC installed while the update is in progress the system wont recognize the CIC because it wasnt originally registered to the Vehicle Order and would request to have the CCC or M-ask to be installed to continue with the update.

From what i understand they working on a way to permanently add the CIC to the Vehicle Order.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:49 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pclausen
Yes, that is now my understanding as well. Since I got a brand new CIC, it would stand to reason it already has the latest software. So I agree, there must be another processor somewhere that can be upgraded to version 3.2 or later to match. It's pretty confusing.

By NOT upgrading to 3.2 or later, do I possibly miss out on functionality/reliability that would otherwise be nice to have?

Don't forget there are also the 2 buttons below the iDrive knob itself. Here's a picture of my interior where you can make out the buttons below the knob. Those are integrated in the new controller, so I want to make sure it is long enough to completely cover both factory holes in the center trim.
The update in question is what is called the "CIP" thats the software for the whole car.
The CIC can also be update on its own, thats what the orange connector in the back is for.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:06 AM
Members

Talked to my SA. He says they have no way of knowing what software version I have until they hook it up to check.

Got an appointment Thursday morning to have the version checked and upgraded to the latest if it is less than v32.

Guess I'll be reinstalling the CCC tonight. I'll start with just the old climate control to see if the issues related to that will go away.

Who knows, perhaps my software is so old that it doesn't play nice with the LCI climate control?
Old 07-13-2010, 07:10 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pclausen
Talked to my SA. He says they have no way of knowing what software version I have until they hook it up to check.

Got an appointment Thursday morning to have the version checked and upgraded to the latest if it is less than v32.

Guess I'll be reinstalling the CCC tonight. I'll start with just the old climate control to see if the issues related to that will go away.

Who knows, perhaps my software is so old that it doesn't play nice with the LCI climate control?
Question, when you click on the driver knob on the LCI climate control panel, does it take you to the driver climate settings on the CIC?
Old 07-13-2010, 07:13 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2007 Black Sapphire 535i

Peter,
my sentiment exactly. Our E60s also have the two buttons below the iDrive knob. We have to ensure the new cavity covers that area and the hole left behind from the old control knob.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:14 AM
Contributors

Here's a couple of qick pics i took of the new controller with the old one.
Attached Thumbnails CIC Retrofit Installation LOG-photo.jpg   CIC Retrofit Installation LOG-photo.jpg  
Old 07-13-2010, 07:17 AM
Contributors

Peter,
Will you be updating your CIP firmware at the dealer with your old CCC re-installed or will you leave your new CIC in place during the upgrade?
Old 07-13-2010, 07:20 AM
Members

Originally Posted by nelson29
Question, when you click on the driver knob on the LCI climate control panel, does it take you to the driver climate settings on the CIC?
Yes. And when I turn it left or right, the graphic changes to show where the airflow is changed to. Pretty cool feature!

How do I turn off the LCI climate control. There is no longer an OFF button like the old one had.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:21 AM
Contributors

Here's a couple of qick pics i took of the new controller with the old one.
Thanks Nelson looks like we're covered. No pun intended. Ha ha

Quick Reply: CIC Retrofit Installation LOG