E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

"Neat tricks" thread!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 01:36 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hondik' post='490355
I never knew my side mirrors automatically unfolded (on LCI) after you start to drive...if you forget to unfold them beforehand. I found this out last night.
I had that happen to me I folded them on my ex E70 X5 because the space was quite to little to pass between a big truck then I was like "WTH? I fold them so I wont scuff them against some truck they unfold?!" Was a nice surprise for me
Old 01-08-2009, 02:20 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='762243' date='Jan 8 2009, 02:25 AM
A neat trick would be for Russ to reappear from his hiatus. Hahahahaha! Where is that guy? I miss him. He always stirs up good stuff.
He's been around - see this recent thread from earlier in the week HERE!
Old 01-08-2009, 10:08 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 5_Is_Alive' post='762126' date='Jan 7 2009, 04:57 PM
If you're in your back seat a lot for whatever reason (helping your kids get buckled, installing car seats, changing diapers, etc.) then set your seat memory "2" to all the way forward and all the way up for extra room. That way you just hit "2" when you're loading up and the seat moves out of the way for easy access. This also works wonders for those of us too cheap to rent a hotel room.

I guess this is more of a time saver than a "neat trick"...
lmao good one! but a good trick indeed i know better next time
Old 01-10-2009, 07:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

I guess this should go here.... http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=763713
Old 01-11-2009, 04:32 AM
Members

My Ride: 520D M Sport Manual, Media Package, Dakota Grey leather, USB, Folding mirrors, Carbon Black.

I tried the Anti-Car jacking feature on an 08 520d LCI, it works. Interestingly, after you have started the car without the key, you can push the start/Stop button to switch the engine off and back on again as many times as you want. As long as you do so within 10 seconds of stopping the engine. Another thing to bear in mind is that, when you switch off the engine from a keyless start, the electronics and computer remain on until you stick the key into its slot and remove it again. This is a handy way of having things like communication (so you can make hands free calls) still on after the engine has been switched off while also having the key in your pocket.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:23 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BMDiesel' post='482172' date='Oct 16 2007, 07:12 AM
don't know if this works on all versions but with the E39 and E60 I don't have to put it in the door. Just keep the remote control's 'open' or 'close' button pressed to open or close all windows. should include electric sunroofs as well..

whoops, didn't realise this thread had grown so long so quickly.... above mentioned already a couple of times....
i think it's been mentioned that this only works for non-US models.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:30 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='483035' date='Oct 18 2007, 05:25 AM
Welcome. One quick additional detail is that you can play a DVD full of audio files in that slot. In other words, you can burn your own DVD full of MP3 files so you'll have much more music available than a regular CD.
Does the DVD MP3 trick work on the standard 10speaker audio system audio player w/o nav? My 2006 Alpine White 530xi isn't being delivered till next week so I can't test it.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:57 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pgetsch' post='726959' date='Nov 20 2008, 09:23 PM
thank god im not alone....my fiance did not believe that other people spend as much time as i do contemplating the best parking spot. also, i honestly thought that i was the only one who considered the driver 100% chance of door opening vs passenger chances of opening....incredible
I've found that if you leave too much of a gap between your car and a car next to you, you have a greater chance of being dinged. The leverage of a door swinging open over a great distance means it's at maximum speed or accelerating as the edge of the door hits your door skin...

The best thing to do is park miles away from any other car, in the last space (as mentioned above) or next to new clean cars (quality marques) where that drivers door would open towards your car...driver's of those are more likely to be like you...

The other alternative is to hope for the best and budget for one visit to the ding repair man every 6 months....

As far as neat tricks are concerned, switching on DTC in slippery conditions really really works...it makes DSC less sensitive, but appears to "detune" the car for a slower and more controlled take of. No matter how slippery it is, you get traction. I was amazed at how easy this car, with standard UK tyres and an auto box, has been to drive in really icy conditions, even up hill on roads with an evil camber.

My last rear wheel drive car was a Lexus, which was evil in the snow...on the same stretch of road, my Lex was atrocious...
Old 01-12-2009, 04:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

Originally Posted by DrLev99' post='762270' date='Jan 7 2009, 09:57 PM
I never knew my side mirrors automatically unfolded (on LCI) after you start to drive...if you forget to unfold them beforehand. I found this out last night.
lol im gonna try that today..lol
Old 01-12-2009, 03:21 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i Premium, Sports, Comfort Access

Originally Posted by neoe60' post='765022' date='Jan 11 2009, 09:30 AM
Does the DVD MP3 trick work on the standard 10speaker audio system audio player w/o nav? My 2006 Alpine White 530xi isn't being delivered till next week so I can't test it.
Why mess around with dvd's that only hold 4.7gb of data? put all your mp3's on a thumb drive and stick it in the USB port.(not sure if this is standard though) I dont have the nav/premium sound. I ripped all my cd's that I have around here, about 200 or so and it took just over 8gb on a 16gb thumb drive. Would imagine the 32 and 64 gb thumb drives would work too. And if you are a music junkie, you could have unlimited music with multiple drives.

It works just like an ipod at a fraction of the cost. You control it with your car controls and you can play via directorys, playlists, genre(sp) I used windows media player to rip the cd's to mp3(change from defaulted .wmp file)

Quick Reply: "Neat tricks" thread!