E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

"Neat tricks" thread!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 01:00 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, I've come across a couple of very useful tricks recently buried within certain threads on this forum. I thought it might be a good idea to put them altogether in one place? These are the two I've picked up over the last few days. It's the kind of thing that if you've read the manual you probably know about it already. But if like me you got bored after page 473 and stopped reading, things like this make a huge difference to how I use the car!

So, here are two to start us off...

1) Pressing "Stop/Start" without foot on the brake. Doing this allows you to cycle through the different stages of ignition on your car, in the same way you used to be able when you had a key (which had multiple positions). This is especially useful if you have items powered by the cigarette lighters which don't usually come on until you start the engine. Hit the "start" button without your foot on a pedal and the electronics will power up, without starting the engine.

2) Holding "iDrive knob" in a direction for 1 second. Doing this allows you to jump straight to another menu without having to navigate back to the main screen. E.g., if you are in "entertainment" (down) and want to go to "Navigation", just hold the knob to the right for one second. When you've finished, pull it towards you for one seond, and you're back in entertainment. This one has saved me so much time...

... so, any more?
Old 10-07-2007, 03:19 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: G30 530i M-sport
Model Year: 2018

Great idea, Russ! My only contribution to date would have been your item 2, so the only thing I would add is a request to our moderators to make this post sticky. It would be a great one-stop-shop for all.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:26 AM
Members

My Ride: Sept '06 535d M sport ,Silver ,Black Dakota Leather,HUD ,TV, Media ,Visibility,Heated F+R seats,Comfort Seats, Active seats ,Sun protection glass,Dark Poplar wood, sunroof ,Elec Sunblinds , Folding mirrors, 19" 172s ,Extended lights Package, Debadged

THE ANTI CAR-JACKING FEATURE

(Copied from a previous post of mine).

I was first told about this by a BMW tech. I think it is intentional and may be due to technology leftover from the comfort access.

The way it was explained to me was that it could be used as an anti car-jacking feature in non comfort access cars.

It allows you to drive the car without the key in: thus if you are unlucky enough to be car-jacked , you just let the thieves take your car.They will assume that the key is in the ignition because the engine is on. As soon as they stop and turn off the ignition they will be unable to turn the car on again as they have no key.

The guy who told me worked for BMW emergency services and said he did this all the time with his 5 series tourer as he was often called to unsavoury locations to assist drivers.

The procedure is:-

1) start the car as normal.
2) stop the engine ( you do not have to leave the engine running for 30 secs unlike previously stated)
3) remove key
4) Put the key in your pocket ( very important not to leave the key lying in the car for obvious reasons).
5)put foot on brake and press start engine button. you have only about 10 secs to do this.
6) Voila ! You can drive without the key.

You can also lock the car with the engine running using this method which may be handy on winter days to warm up the car before you get in.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

I'll check this out , I always put my car in the garage without closing the sun roof,and when i realize it is still open always end up having to start the car to allow it to close. This must be the way to do it without starting it .... I hope.

Cheers
Old 10-07-2007, 08:32 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='478828' date='Oct 7 2007, 05:15 PM
I'll check this out , I always put my car in the garage without closing the sun roof,and when i realize it is still open always end up having to start the car to allow it to close. This must be the way to do it without starting it .... I hope.

Cheers
I think all windows will close for a period of about 30 secs even after the key is removed.

My neat tip is the one I posted a while ago about Switching the High Beam Assist feature off without having to switch the High Beams on.

"Just learnt a new trick today and it may be useful for all those with High Beam Assist feature. If you have it switched on and you want to switch it off without affecting the headlights, all you have to do is use the Light Knob on the dashboard and quickly turn the knob to the OFF position and back on. If you do it fast enough it cuts the High Beam Assist feature off but doesn't affect the lights. This way you dont blind the people in front of you and you dont have to switch the lights off too. "
Old 10-07-2007, 09:45 AM
Members

Might be more logic to turn the light knob into ON Mode to the right without any hectic and your HBA is off too. You want it back just turn the knob left to automatic.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:33 AM
Geo
Members

My Ride: 530i

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='478828' date='Oct 7 2007, 12:15 PM

Cheers

If you have one of the older "key" based BMWs, you can simply insert your key into the driver's door and turn and hold to the lock position. That will automatically close all the windows including the sunroof.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:50 PM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

Not much of a trick, but still... (LCI only)

Toggle clima 'Auto'-button to switch between soft, medium & intensive programs.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:07 AM
Members

My Ride: 535D Sport Touring '05

Originally Posted by Geo' post='478880' date='Oct 7 2007, 07:33 PM
If you have one of the older "key" based BMWs, you can simply insert your key into the driver's door and turn and hold to the lock position. That will automatically close all the windows including the sunroof.
Try holding the lock button on the remote as well - seems to be press once to lock, then press and hold - windows up.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by elmbeck' post='479219' date='Oct 8 2007, 01:07 PM
Try holding the lock button on the remote as well - seems to be press once to lock, then press and hold - windows up.
That only works outside of North America... :thumbsdown:

Quick Reply: "Neat tricks" thread!