E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

"Neat tricks" thread!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 03:27 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 530d Executive, all options except sunroof and comfort seats ECU remapped by ZipTuning to 260+bhp.

Originally Posted by MisterE' post='766166' date='Jan 13 2009, 01:21 AM
Why mess around with dvd's that only hold 4.7gb of data? put all your mp3's on a thumb drive and stick it in the USB port.(not sure if this is standard though) I dont have the nav/premium sound. I ripped all my cd's that I have around here, about 200 or so and it took just over 8gb on a 16gb thumb drive. Would imagine the 32 and 64 gb thumb drives would work too. And if you are a music junkie, you could have unlimited music with multiple drives.

It works just like an ipod at a fraction of the cost. You control it with your car controls and you can play via directorys, playlists, genre(sp) I used windows media player to rip the cd's to mp3(change from defaulted .wmp file)
The USB port isn't standard. And if you have an USB port, iPod's also work.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:17 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW 535xi
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Jambers' post='765715' date='Jan 12 2009, 08:57 AM
I've found that if you leave too much of a gap between your car and a car next to you, you have a greater chance of being dinged. The leverage of a door swinging open over a great distance means it's at maximum speed or accelerating as the edge of the door hits your door skin...

The best thing to do is park miles away from any other car, in the last space (as mentioned above) or next to new clean cars (quality marques) where that drivers door would open towards your car...driver's of those are more likely to be like you...

The other alternative is to hope for the best and budget for one visit to the ding repair man every 6 months....

As far as neat tricks are concerned, switching on DTC in slippery conditions really really works...it makes DSC less sensitive, but appears to "detune" the car for a slower and more controlled take of. No matter how slippery it is, you get traction. I was amazed at how easy this car, with standard UK tyres and an auto box, has been to drive in really icy conditions, even up hill on roads with an evil camber.

My last rear wheel drive car was a Lexus, which was evil in the snow...on the same stretch of road, my Lex was atrocious...
"The best thing to do is park miles away from any other car..." I love this. Very basic. LMAO. Witty.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:55 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2005 BMW 525i A/T (E60) 2005 MBenz C200K Elegance 2004 BMW 320D A/T Exclusive (E46 F/L) 2003 MBenz C180K 2001 BMW 318i (E46)

I don't know if this is standard, but my PDC is automatically activated when reversing, but not when moving forward into a space. Because I'm a lazy bastard, and don't want to always keep hunting for the small PDC button, I usually stop before entering a narrow space, then flick the transmission D => R => D. PDC switched on without hunting for any buttons.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:44 AM
Members

1- If you have FM on, and you press the forward or reverse button on the wheel for just a tad longer, radio goes into "scan" mode
2- with interior sunroof cover in place, tilting the sunroof opens the interior cover in the middle about an inch to let air in.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:01 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i M Sport Induvidual; Induvidual Black exterior (475 Saphire Black metallic), Induvidual Z1XX Merino leather Platinum interior, Logic 7, shadow line trim.

Probably not on all models but the little pull out and retractable arm rest that is located above the handbrake. (this extension over your handbrake allows you to rest your arm more forward...closer to the gear shift).

Anyway, while in Drive or Sport, you can pull it out and it will lock in place. When you shift to back to park, or turn off ignition and leave the the arm rest will auto unlock and retract back into place!

Try it!...for some reason it doesn't allow it to lock into place unless your in "Drive" or "S", it just keeps retracting.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by rich545im' post='794507' date='Feb 16 2009, 08:01 PM
Probably not on all models but the little pull out and retractable arm rest that is located above the handbrake. (this extension over your handbrake allows you to rest your arm more forward...closer to the gear shift).

just found this last week as well, definitely a more comfortable driving position
Old 02-16-2009, 07:54 PM
Members

Hold on!!! Stop the presses!! Do you mean to tell me that the mighty GENEaTALS only just recently found out about this feature??? HAHA, I love it!!! No offense bro, I have gotten loads of info from you over the last 10 months but I just couldn't resist
Old 02-17-2009, 01:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

Originally Posted by benstone' post='766482' date='Jan 13 2009, 12:55 AM
I don't know if this is standard, but my PDC is automatically activated when reversing, but not when moving forward into a space. Because I'm a lazy bastard, and don't want to always keep hunting for the small PDC button, I usually stop before entering a narrow space, then flick the transmission D => R => D. PDC switched on without hunting for any buttons.
Good one!
Old 02-17-2009, 06:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by akfirepro' post='794553' date='Feb 16 2009, 08:54 PM
Hold on!!! Stop the presses!! Do you mean to tell me that the mighty GENEaTALS only just recently found out about this feature??? HAHA, I love it!!! No offense bro, I have gotten loads of info from you over the last 10 months but I just couldn't resist
haha, glad I can provide some insight, and a good laugh
Old 02-17-2009, 08:01 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi - Titanium Silver Metallic / Gray Dakota Leather / Dark Poplar Wood Trim / Cold Weather Package / Premium Package / Premium Sound Package / Lumbar Support / Xenon Adaptive Light Control / 6 speed auto - Steptronic Trans. /Sirius Satellite Radio / Voice Activation / Navigation / Moonroof

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='794794' date='Feb 17 2009, 10:00 AM
haha, glad I can provide some insight, and a good laugh
Saw this ability referenced in the manual, and I've tried in earnest to move the rest fwd, however, w/o much force for fear of yanking it out of the console. haven't been succesful in moving it yet.

Quick Reply: "Neat tricks" thread!