E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

"Neat tricks" thread!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 09:07 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it's been a while since I was lost on the forum...what a great thread!
I read through every page to see if someone mentioned my favorite neat trick...and it wasn't lsited! Makes me think others cars can do this, but regardless, here it is:

With my manual trasmission in 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd gear, I can let the engine idle with my foot off the gas and clutch, and it moves along as if it were an automatic. I stumbled across this while learning the clutch when I first bought the car. From a standstill, you can actually slowly release the clutch without using any gas and you will begin to move along, which is great for traffic as it's less of a workout on the legs.

When traffic is idling along at a faster pace, I simply drop it in 2nd gear and the car moves along at a faster crawl.

This has made my car the easiest manual to drive in traffic...BY FAR! Having learned this trick, driving a manual in NYC is a lot easier and much more doable.

Has anyone else realized this?
Old 11-08-2007, 10:33 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d E60

Originally Posted by KCooke82' post='491759' date='Nov 8 2007, 07:07 PM
When traffic is idling along at a faster pace, I simply drop it in 2nd gear and the car moves along at a faster crawl.
I do that with the automatic in 'M'

what I'd like though, is something for 0-4 km/h as that's the part where I either have keep my foot on the brake or put it in 'N'. taking it out of 'N' neding the brake pushed again is a bit annoying.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by sixcard' post='491460' date='Nov 7 2007, 07:37 PM
Hey Richard, my 550 sport is a couple months newer than yours and my manual says it uses wheel rpm variation for the TPM. I got a warning a few weeks ago, checked with a pressure gauge and all were the same.

Then, I read the instructions and learned about the rotation business. Then reset TPM per manual and the warning ceased.

How does yours measure the pressure?
With an LCI 550 here in the states, you have the TPM not the FTM. My old 545 has the FTM which uses wheel rotation speed to determine if a tire is low. The newer cars have TPM which actually uses a sensor in each wheel to monitor pressure, warning when a wheel is low. The manual still describes FTM on page 94 of my manual but then describes TPM on page 95. We have TPM. The easiest way to tell is iDrive. My new 550 actually says TPM in the system while my 545 says FTM in the iDrive.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:01 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E90 330i + E60 550i

thats normal behavior for manuals.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E90 330i + E60 550i

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='491806' date='Nov 8 2007, 02:52 PM
With an LCI 550 here in the states, you have the TPM not the FTM. My old 545 has the FTM which uses wheel rotation speed to determine if a tire is low. The newer cars have TPM which actually uses a sensor in each wheel to monitor pressure, warning when a wheel is low. The manual still describes FTM on page 94 of my manual but then describes TPM on page 95. We have TPM. The easiest way to tell is iDrive. My new 550 acuually says TPM in the system while my 545 says FTM in the iDrive.
easier way to tell is look at the valve stems...rubber = ftm
metal = tpms.

ive had both and kinda miss FTM as its less expeinsive to get new wheels
Old 11-08-2007, 11:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport Carbon Black Metallic/Cream Beige Manny tranny and other stuff Recently gone, but never forgotten: 2005 Ford Mustang GT (hence the name) Torch Red/Crimson Manny tranny and every option available for that year 2002 Chrysler 300M Special Brilliant Black/Light Taupe/Dark Slate Autostick and goo-gobs of neat features that I will sorely miss

Speaking of TPMS, why the heck doesn't it show you the actual air pressure instead of just green tires?? My Chrysler's TPMS showed the actual pressure in each tire and even monitored the pressure in the spare tire. Granted, the spare was a matching full-size and it said Spare High or Spare Low, but still...
Old 11-08-2007, 11:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by KCooke82' post='491759' date='Nov 8 2007, 10:07 AM
Well it's been a while since I was lost on the forum...what a great thread!
I read through every page to see if someone mentioned my favorite neat trick...and it wasn't lsited! Makes me think others cars can do this, but regardless, here it is:

With my manual trasmission in 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd gear, I can let the engine idle with my foot off the gas and clutch, and it moves along as if it were an automatic. I stumbled across this while learning the clutch when I first bought the car. From a standstill, you can actually slowly release the clutch without using any gas and you will begin to move along, which is great for traffic as it's less of a workout on the legs.

This has made my car the easiest manual to drive in traffic...BY FAR! Having learned this trick, driving a manual in NYC is a lot easier and much more doable.

Has anyone else realized this?

Kcooke - good point!! My other manuals do this too and it does help (unless of course you have a "panic stop" driver in front of you) who insists on speeding up then slamming on their brakes forcing eveyone to a complete stop. I'm so use to driving a manual, I really don't even notice it in rush hour any more.

Good tip!
Old 11-08-2007, 03:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

Yep, as kscarroll, notes, my manual discusses both TPM and FTM. My window sticker says I've got TPM (it was a no cost option). I did not notice the colored wheels when I got my alarm.

Old 12-18-2007, 03:41 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by GarryF' post='489901' date='Nov 4 2007, 05:09 PM
If you have folding mirrors then you can use the key to fold the mirrors in when you lock the car by holding the lock button for about a second. wierd thing is this option has to be turned on at the dealer. I really like it as it gives me a nice clear indication that the car is locked

No doubt it's been mentioned before but in the uk at least holding lock down closes all windows, holding open down opens all windows, double clicking the lock button when locking disables motion sensor etc inside the car for pets, dogs etc.

Use the inside grip of the boot to close it and save getting your hands dirty (uk weather usually results in muddy boot most of the year), it amazes me how many people can't manage this on cars they've owned for years.

The car remembers various settings for about 15 mins after turning off, handy if you stop for fuel etc. If you have a heated steering wheel and the car doesn't remember the settings then you can get a free software upgrade as you have a bug (I'd like to see the face of the dealer when you ask for it though)

Auto head lights have 3 settings on sensitivity, you can only change this at the dealer though

does this work in US?
Old 12-18-2007, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by alex123' post='508291' date='Dec 18 2007, 07:41 PM
does this work in US?
Depends on what tip you're referring to.

In the US, you can't have the mirrors automatically fold and you can't close the windows and roof from the key fob...

Quick Reply: "Neat tricks" thread!