E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

"Neat tricks" thread!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 05:45 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2 cents:

When feuling my car I always lock it. I get out, open the feul door and lock the car. Then I feul it but when done feuling and I want to close the door it will not close because the locking pin is extended to lock the feul door as well. Till now I unlocked the car, closed the feul door and closed the car again.

I found that you can push the locking pin back in manually so you can close the feul door without unlocking the car. Lockin pin is located where the red arrow points.

"Neat tricks" thread!-feul_door.jpg
Old 11-07-2007, 08:50 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Bart sMartWeed' post='490738' date='Nov 6 2007, 08:45 AM
I found that you can push the locking pin back in manually so you can close the feul door without unlocking the car. Lockin pin is located where the red arrow points.
Be careful, some of those things are spring loaded and you could damage them if pushing them manually when they aren't meant to be. You must refuel in a very rough area that you can't unlock your car for 2 seconds to close the fuel filler cover
Old 11-07-2007, 09:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 CarbonBlack 535d, Ventilated and Heated Comfort Seats with Massage in Black Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Professional Navi, Folding Rear Seats, Load Through, Advanced Remote, PDC, Bluetooth, Dimming and folding Mirrors, Bi-Xenons, Hi-Fi, Tinted
Cool

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='491274' date='Nov 7 2007, 06:50 PM
Be careful, some of those things are spring loaded and you could damage them if pushing them manually when they aren't meant to be. You must refuel in a very rough area that you can't unlock your car for 2 seconds to close the fuel filler cover
Old 11-07-2007, 10:43 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='491274' date='Nov 7 2007, 05:50 PM
Speaking of which. Do you ever wonder which side the fuel filler is? Maybe not in your car but a hire or wife's car. Well you don't have to guess anymore. Just look at the fuel gauge icon on the instrument panel and see which side the pipe is on the icon, bingo.

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/fuel-tank-filler-icon-secret.shtml
Old 11-07-2007, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='491299' date='Nov 7 2007, 02:43 PM
Speaking of which. Do you ever wonder which side the fuel filler is? Maybe not in your car but a hire or wife's car. Well you don't have to guess anymore. Just look at the fuel gauge icon on the instrument panel and see which side the pipe is on the icon, bingo.

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/fuel-tank-filler-icon-secret.shtml
I don't know how reliable that trick is but most newer cars have a little arrow or triangle next to that fuel pump symbol that points in the direction of the filler door. Also, it seems as if most (if not all) German cars have the filler on the right side of the car and it seems as if American cars (real american cars, not re-badged Japanese cars) have them on the left.

What's funny to me is that the trick using the pump filler picture seems, at least to me, to be reversed. You'd think that the pump handle wouldn't indicate where the filler is, you'd think it would indicate how the pump should be positioned in relation to the handle. In other words, if the handle is depicted on the left of the pump, the fuel filler door should be on the right of the car so the pump picture would "meet" the filler...
Old 11-07-2007, 02:28 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Rudy, you obviously fell for the hoax.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='491388' date='Nov 7 2007, 06:28 PM
Rudy, you obviously fell for the hoax.
I guess I did -- I didn't even bother to read the top part of the page or understand what website I was looking at, I just looked at the pictures... (What's even funnier is that the commentary -- which I didn't read before -- mentions the same thing that I did about it being reversed, etc.) I guess I've had a few busy days in a row and I need to slow the hell down...

So I guess Bruce fell for it too?
Old 11-07-2007, 03:24 PM
Members

Don't think I read this one in this thread, but I might have read it elsewhere on this forum.... When faced with the default iDrive screen, every morning I like to put it into Entertainment and because I have HD Radio (I think) I need to pull the "selection box" down to the lowest level ("Set," I think). So, every morning was:

1. Shuttle the iDrive knob to the 6 o'clock position to access Entertainment
2. Shuttle the iDrive knob to the 6 o'clock position again to bring the selection box down to "Manual, Preset, Autostore"
3. Shuttle the iDrive knob to the 6 o'clock position AGAIN to highlight "Set"

After a few seconds, tha artist and title info would display.

NOW, just do this:

1. Shuttle the iDrive knob to the 6 o'clock position and then press it down (towards the road surface) and hold it for a second or two

It doesn't sound like much but I find it very satisfying....
Old 11-07-2007, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by sjaroslo' post='491429' date='Nov 7 2007, 07:24 PM
Don't think I read this one in this thread, but I might have read it elsewhere on this forum.... When faced with the default iDrive screen, every morning I like to put it into Entertainment and because I have HD Radio (I think) I need to pull the "selection box" down to the lowest level ("Set," I think). So, every morning was:

1. Shuttle the iDrive knob to the 6 o'clock position to access Entertainment
2. Shuttle the iDrive knob to the 6 o'clock position again to bring the selection box down to "Manual, Preset, Autostore"
3. Shuttle the iDrive knob to the 6 o'clock position AGAIN to highlight "Set"

After a few seconds, tha artist and title info would display.

NOW, just do this:

1. Shuttle the iDrive knob to the 6 o'clock position and then press it down (towards the road surface) and hold it for a second or two

It doesn't sound like much but I find it very satisfying....
I don't think you need to press it down (towards the road surface) -- just pull it toward 6 o'clock and hold it and I think you'll get the same results...
Old 11-07-2007, 04:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

Originally Posted by Richard in NC' post='488789' date='Nov 1 2007, 07:17 PM
Some of these must be pre-LCI. My 550i has TPM, it individually measures pressure in each wheel and doesn't use rotational speed. Also the warmup indicator on the tach is no longer functional. That one bugs me.

My tip, not necessarily a trick is to use the real time traffic if so equiped (std on LCIs with Nav). Set dynamic route in route preference, set a destination (I do home or work address), and say "traffic info". On the Nav map, it shows >>> on the route if issues. Also the triangle in the lower left turns red. Select it to see the issue. It has also rerouted me.

FYI, if on a call when exiting the car, bluetooth as mentioned, hangs on to the phone until 30 ft or more from the car. Some phones have an easy way to disconnect from bluetooth or you can go into iDrive and deactivate bluetooth. Be sure to reactivate the next time in the car.
Hey Richard, my 550 sport is a couple months newer than yours and my manual says it uses wheel rpm variation for the TPM. I got a warning a few weeks ago, checked with a pressure gauge and all were the same.

Then, I read the instructions and learned about the rotation business. Then reset TPM per manual and the warning ceased.

How does yours measure the pressure?

Quick Reply: "Neat tricks" thread!