E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

"Neat tricks" thread!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 05:15 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alts' post='488547' date='Nov 1 2007, 06:51 AM
You can push headlights on/off knob inside it's socket.
I am glad to hear that. I thought it was just me hitting my legs of the switch when attempting to get in the car if I dont have much room.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by s4iscool' post='488578' date='Nov 1 2007, 08:33 AM
yeah i never understood this, does it help turn the dial? then tuck it away?
I think the knob retracts to help dissipate energy during an accident...
Old 11-01-2007, 08:07 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by alts' post='488547' date='Nov 1 2007, 02:51 AM
You can push headlights on/off knob inside it's socket.
Only on the pre-LCI E60's...........the LCI's have a different knob that has overhangs, so it can't be pushed in.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by rodybmw' post='488629' date='Nov 1 2007, 12:07 PM
Only on the pre-LCI E60's...........the LCI's have a different knob that has overhangs, so it can't be pushed in.
Maybe that'll explain why there was a little problem with the crash test then...
Old 11-01-2007, 02:58 PM
Members

Not exactly a "trick", but it took me a month to figure it out: the idrive computer seems to start booting when you click the unlock button on the key, so if I hit the unlock from max range when I'm walking towards my car, the idrive is ready to go by the time I get into the car and start it up. If I wait until I'm standing right next to the car like I had been, there's usually a lag before everything boots and the radio comes on, nav screen shows, etc.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:17 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by BMDiesel' post='485638' date='Oct 24 2007, 03:26 PM
maybe not 'tricks' as intended by the topic starter but learned during usage:

- the park distance continuous 'beep' allows for 15 cm of safe space but when you look back it seems a lot less. Test and lear with something soft behind the car.

- drive hard and brake hard with the selector in 'S' and you'll notice a difference in downshift: it engine-breaks too (braking because the gearbox does not shift up and keeps the engine connected to the wheels to help brake)

- when driving in busy traffic, it's often more comfy to put the automatic in 'S' and then shift up to '6' to keep it in that gear rather than have it downshift each time you accellerate. There's enough torque to not shift.

- the navigation DVD (business nav, see other post too) and perhaps also the professional navi, has difficulty in handling copied dvd's when temperature between drive and interior is not equal. (my experience, not sure if this is a repeatable error and if this is also valid for original nav DVD's)

- making the automatic change (or not) when you want is possible by gas-pedal. Easier in 'S' mode than in 'D' but with some exercise it's quite possible to keep it from shifting up in corners.

- the gearbox reset by keeping foot down on gaspedal for 25secs + is difficult to prove true. Do this in the middle of a longer trip. I wish for a switch to turn off this 'learning mode'. too microsoft thinking style for me....

- the hood has TWO places where it's held to the car. You need to drop the hood from fairly high and CHECK if they BOTH are hooked into position. I've often noticed a 'flapping hood' when one of the two is not locked into position.

- the engine temperature is indicated at the top end of the rev meter. it's in the manual but often overlooked.

- keeping the heating system in the OFF position untill the abovementioned meter indicates a warm engine does not help in the diesel cars. The diesel engine does not warm up the coolant enough for the interior heating so it's (as I read elsewhere) electrically heated. I'm not sure about this though, because if this were true, why on earth did they not include a timer to start this electrical heater a bit earlier than engine start (standheizung simple style) as they do have an interior ventilation timer.

- switching from navigation arrow pane (with traffic info) to something else and back is a pain. So first go to your nav screen (with traffic info) and to go elsewhere keep the i-drive fat button to the side you want to go (example: full up to call someone) to get back to nav (even while in a call) keep the button to the right. Easier than to go through the menu's

- you can choose from what radio channel the nav takes it's TMC info. This may be different as this service is not always the same (may include speed traps from some radio stations)

- push the day-trip-reset (sorry, don't know the real name) during engine off to check km/miles on the meter

- the tyre pressure controlling system is a bit of a misleading thing: it checks relative rotation speeds of the wheels rather than tyre pressure. So if all 4 loose air, you will not be warned (as opposed to some cheap French car that shows each tyre's pressure in a display). In your all-automatic (lights, wipers, transmission, choke, speed, fuel. you name it) car, you need to manually check one of the remaining vital items yourself.

- there is a limit to the abilities of the electronics keeping you from sliding........
Some of these must be pre-LCI. My 550i has TPM, it individually measures pressure in each wheel and doesn't use rotational speed. Also the warmup indicator on the tach is no longer functional. That one bugs me.

My tip, not necessarily a trick is to use the real time traffic if so equiped (std on LCIs with Nav). Set dynamic route in route preference, set a destination (I do home or work address), and say "traffic info". On the Nav map, it shows >>> on the route if issues. Also the triangle in the lower left turns red. Select it to see the issue. It has also rerouted me.

FYI, if on a call when exiting the car, bluetooth as mentioned, hangs on to the phone until 30 ft or more from the car. Some phones have an easy way to disconnect from bluetooth or you can go into iDrive and deactivate bluetooth. Be sure to reactivate the next time in the car.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:08 PM
Members

My Ride: 525d E60

Originally Posted by Richard in NC' post='488789' date='Nov 2 2007, 01:17 AM
Some of these must be pre-LCI. My 550i has TPM, it individually measures pressure in each wheel and doesn't use rotational speed. Also the warmup indicator on the tach is no longer functional. That one bugs me.
Yes, mine is a pre-LCI as it is from 2005. Does have the temp thing.

(no pushable light button though, although I really have no idea why I would possibly want that )
Old 11-04-2007, 11:03 AM
Senior Members

Here's one, shown to me by my 6 year old.

To turn the heated seats off, press and hold the button, rather than toggling through the 3 heat settings.

Try it!

Regards,
Old 11-04-2007, 01:09 PM
Members

If you have folding mirrors then you can use the key to fold the mirrors in when you lock the car by holding the lock button for about a second. wierd thing is this option has to be turned on at the dealer. I really like it as it gives me a nice clear indication that the car is locked

No doubt it's been mentioned before but in the uk at least holding lock down closes all windows, holding open down opens all windows, double clicking the lock button when locking disables motion sensor etc inside the car for pets, dogs etc.

Use the inside grip of the boot to close it and save getting your hands dirty (uk weather usually results in muddy boot most of the year), it amazes me how many people can't manage this on cars they've owned for years.

The car remembers various settings for about 15 mins after turning off, handy if you stop for fuel etc. If you have a heated steering wheel and the car doesn't remember the settings then you can get a free software upgrade as you have a bug (I'd like to see the face of the dealer when you ask for it though)

Auto head lights have 3 settings on sensitivity, you can only change this at the dealer though
Old 11-04-2007, 02:22 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='488405' date='Oct 31 2007, 10:46 PM
In the UK, there is no AM/FM or Mode button. We get 8 favourite/short cut buttons. Is this different in the US? I've found in the UK you can't switch the stereo on unless you put the fob in and power up the electrics. Without the key in, pushing the on/off button of the stereo does nothing...
Does on mine. The key fob is not needed to power on the stereo using the on/off button. If doing this without the fob in, the iDrive screen comes on with the entertainment screen instead of the last one viewed if different - that's the only difference. The stereo then only stays on for a set time (maybe 15 mins) before powering off without the fob.

Quick Reply: "Neat tricks" thread!