E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

"Neat tricks" thread!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 11:41 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: -Current- 535d Sport LCI Bi-Xenon Adaptive Lights, S.A.T, Professional SatNav, Logic7, Elec Memory seats, iPod interface, 19" Alloys WITHOUT RUNFLATS! CIC and Combox Retrofit, White Angel Eyes, Speed in Centre console. -Previous- Mini Cooper S 525d Tourer Auto

Originally Posted by kevin_m
Any more tips? Have just picked up a used 535d and loving this thread.
Yea, I have one!

Coming from a manual car, the gear choice in an Automatic is not always what you want (although this is the best auto I have ever had the pleasure of) - for instance, it changes down too late or changes mid corner. I find these more when driving normally as the auto box is better when working a bit harder.

Tips:
1) change down a gear with your foot:
when driving normally, or accelerating gently, simply ease up off the accelerator and back on again and the car will change down a gear. This takes a little getting used to for it to work, and to also to do it smoothly but does help when you are just not in a rush!

2) Avoid mid-corner changes:
Simply put the car into D/S or sport (or both for those with S.A.T) and the car will change up a gear to raise the revs. as long as you are not too quick on the accelerator coming out of the corner, the car stays in the more sensible gear! if you put the box back in D mode mid corner you can time it so the car then drops a gear at the right time

-OR-

Drive the 535d like it wants to be driven!
Old 10-03-2010, 03:56 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 530i 2009 M-Style Black w/ biege interior Fully loaded

any new tips guys?

lets keep this thread going... its very useful
Old 10-04-2010, 12:29 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Member545
I think I had the car 6 months before I realized there is a power outlet in the passenger footwell.
Sounds very cool. Where exactly please? Can't find it.

UPDATE: N/M found it!
Old 10-04-2010, 02:18 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by MiamiPhill
One last parking tip, I always check my reflection in the car next to me to judge how close I am to that dredded bump stop...
Awesome hack. Never thought of that
Old 10-04-2010, 02:48 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BMDiesel
- the gearbox reset by keeping foot down on gaspedal for 25secs + is difficult to prove true. Do this in the middle of a longer trip. I wish for a switch to turn off this 'learning mode'. too microsoft thinking style for me....
Engine should be off when performing this. Only the electrics has to be on. So it's actually easy to try.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:17 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i

WOW! Thanks for bumping this thread. My wife has had her 550i for 3-4 months, and we've read every thread on this 5series.net since then. We hadn't seen this though!

I've spent the entire night running back and forth to the garage. Holy crap....I can roll the windows and sunroof down with the remote! Holy crap...there is a 12V outlet in the passenger footwell! Holy crap....new way to access function on iDrive quickly! Holy crap....this thread is FULL OF AWESOME!

/I'm only up to page 15. Just had to jump forward to page 25 and say THANKS INTERNET! You're the best! I <3 you so much!
Old 10-04-2010, 11:14 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by DominikB
Engine should be off when performing this. Only the electrics has to be on. So it's actually easy to try.
I wonder how many people just redlined their engine for 25 seconds lol
Old 01-04-2011, 08:01 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

Here's a little tip if you have the sports automatic transmission installed.

When you are in regular auto-mode and you engage a steering wheel paddle then it drops back to automatic mode a few secs later.

However, you can hold a gear for any specific time you want by keeping the paddle engaged for the duration; it can be useful for e.g. engine braking as the car otherwise have a tendency to hop back to a higher gear after a short while.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:18 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm risking a re-post here, but I don't think I've seen it mentioned. Although I'm not a big user of cruise control, I got a kick out of something on the "resume" feature on my 2005 545 (has Active Cruise and a manual transmission), where I was able to accelerate via resume, shifting up through the gears without the cruise control cutting out when I stepped on the clutch to engage the next gear.

For all I know it's not all that unique on newer cars, but every car I had ever driven before would basically cut the cruise completely when the clutch was depressed. I got a kick out of how the throttle would neatly and automatically let up and then come back on after the next gear was engaged.

Worked from a very low speed - if nothing else my Dad was impressed.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:08 AM
Members

My Ride: Mine: 2005 545i Sport Pkg, Black Saphire/Black, Nav, Chrome Wheels ---------- Wife's: 2007 335i Sport/Prem Pkg, White/Auburn, Nav

Originally Posted by igord
See attached image
That's awesome! So, according to the manual, there are 5 or 6 outlets (including the trunk one)? Is this correct? Here's what the manual shows:

My other question is,...in the Nissan Armada I owned the driver's side outlet was powered directly, meaning that you could use it without the key or ignition on. Are any of these wired direct in the '05 545i? I haven't tried yet.

Quick Reply: "Neat tricks" thread!