E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

"Neat tricks" thread!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 06:59 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545i sport
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by JAY'545
had my key programmed to open and close the windows using the remote. I have a pre lci.
The key is not programmed, but rather the General (body) Module is programmed to recognize the "lock" button being held down on the remote. IOW, the feature is activated within the GM. Even in the USA, but dealers won't do it.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:28 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Mine: 2005 545i Sport Pkg, Black Saphire/Black, Nav, Chrome Wheels ---------- Wife's: 2007 335i Sport/Prem Pkg, White/Auburn, Nav

Here's something that I found out by mistake. With bluetooth enabled car, I pressed the telephone button on the steering wheel a little too long (like 2 sec) and it redialed the last person I had called. Cool! So basically it works like holding down the talk button on my blackberry. I guess you all knew that one already...?
Old 01-10-2011, 12:02 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 535d Msport Auto, Silver, 18" Alloys Engine Remapped - 315 bhp (apparently), Black Badges, Bright white Angels & Fogs, M-Tech Badge Front Grill, rear LCI upgrade

Originally Posted by luigi524td
Neither does mine ... in fact the dimming is done internally and not by "dipping" as was the case with older cars.
by "tinting" I mean the mirror still does the internal electronic dim/fade when someone comes up behind.. I think its called chromium tinting or something like.. but it also has a mechanical "drop" when I spin the nose.. does nobody elses do the spin? am I the only one with this amazing feature? surely not!
Old 03-05-2011, 09:03 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 - 530i Sport, Auto, Alpine White, Dark Poplar, Beige Dakota w/ Comfort Seats, Cold Weather Package (yeah I know I live in SC, but I love it on my back after a long day of golf), Logic 7, Parking Assist, & Auto Sunshade.

someone mentioned earlier about possibly making this sticky so it could always be found.

I just had trouble finding it again and will bump it here, but i met a new e60 owner yesterday and was trying to explain this thread to him. And I couldnt find it to email him a link until now. I think it was one of the most informative threads I ever read after getting my e60.

Lets make it sticky so we dont have to keep bumping it. Or maybe someone with lots of time could cull the main items out without the duplication and make that a sticky. Unfortunately that person certainly isnt me these days.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:16 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 530d M sport

Originally Posted by Geo
If you have one of the older "key" based BMWs, you can simply insert your key into the driver's door and turn and hold to the lock position. That will automatically close all the windows including the sunroof.
Yes.... or press and hold the LOCK button on the remote and it closes all windows and sunroof.... must press it for more than 5 secs after getting out. Press the lock button and hold even after the lights flash to say locked
Old 03-06-2011, 10:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 550i
Model Year: 06

^ That doesn't work in the US tho...
Old 03-07-2011, 05:14 PM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i 19" MRR GT1 Interior LED retrofit

Originally Posted by ETNav382
^ That doesn't work in the US tho...
Any idea why this is not an option on US models? My wife's E46 has this option, kind of hard to believe that my better optioned E60 does not have this capability.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:43 PM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i 19" MRR GT1 Interior LED retrofit

I stand corrected. I never tried rolling the windows down this way before. Just attempted it again tonight and they will roll down, however, pressing the lock button for extended period of time will not roll them up.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by HiOffcr
Any idea why this is not an option on US models? My wife's E46 has this option, kind of hard to believe that my better optioned E60 does not have this capability.

Ask your local plaintiff's attorney, I'm sure they are advertising on your local TV or billboards. I know, I know! There are countless legitimate attorneys out there but the US is a very litigious country and for the thousands E60 owners who understand that they need to be sure the window's and sunroof need to be clear before closing with the remote someone will use the function, hurting someone and suing BMW over the "unsafe" operation. Sad but true... :thumbsdown:
Old 05-04-2012, 05:24 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Automatic, Gray in color, two axles, four wheels, brakes

Not a trick, but a "good to know" for new owners with PDC. The front sensors give off a higher pitched tone then the rear sensors, it is a "beep beep" for the front vs. a "boop boop" for the rear.

This is good thing to know when I am backing out of my garage, as I can ignore the front sensors that are beeping and sensing the wall in front of me - and I can listen for the rear sensors since I am traveling in reverse.

Quick Reply: "Neat tricks" thread!