E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 for Singaporeans

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 02:39 AM
Zig
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E39 525i, E60 530i, F10

Originally Posted by SFL33X' post='288678' date='May 28 2006, 05:51 PM
(Do they have Wing Flaps for Z4?)
I think the wing flaps can be retrofitted later.
Old 05-28-2006, 02:50 AM
Zig
Senior Members

My aircon blower motor started emitting loud humming noises in the morning lately. I've tried to drop by PML in the morning to complain about this problem but whenever I am near the service centre, the noise disappeared! There will be no noise for the rest of the day and it may or may not come back again the next morning. Sometimes, when I switch off he engine, a strange whistling noise continues to emit from the aircon duct for about 10 secs. This other problem happens once in a while and does not happen all the time.

Have anyone you here experienced the same problem? Maybe I'll just drop by PML anyway and describe the issue to them verbally.
Old 05-28-2006, 05:34 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 523iA

Originally Posted by lmk' post='288624' date='May 28 2006, 12:41 PM
Thoroughly went thru specifications of nuvi 300 and 310 again and note that there are only two difference; bluetooth and anti-thief feature. By the way, from the website, nuvi 310 will be available June 2006.

For the bros here who have actually tested and seen the product, can you please offer advice on the followings,

1. Are maps of Malaysia and Singapore pre-loaded on the nuvi 300?
2. If Malaysia maps are pre-loaded, is it for the whole of Malaysia? If not, can they be downloaded free?
3. Can the text-speech feature be disabled?
Old 05-28-2006, 05:47 AM
Senior Members

Re the Tibo which I got yesterday... (against the advice of Garmin recommendations... )...was not too good eventhough my only other GPS was the HP 6515...(which was crap)...

Cons:

- Map very outdated...
- No individual HDB blocks... only clusters of blocks.
- When on the CTE.. it kept telling me to keep right in 1km, 400m, 200m, 100m when I was ALREADY on the CTE... this was repeated throughout the whole CTE journey! I suspect it interpreted slip roads joining to the highway as though I was approaching it...
- inability to select a favourite by pointing on the map (i.e. via the GPS longtitude/latitude)
- the locking of signals even from a warm start took 3-5minutes... which is far too long.
- no "learning capability" of your preferred journey between home and favourite points...
- the reploting of journey too forever...
- the MP4 playback didn't work at all
- no "hibernation mode"... you either swich off the backlighting (which still drains the battery overnight) or you do a hard shutdown...resulting in 10minutes of recalibration etc...

Elecom or Core Technologies... should do a better job of updating the maps...otherwise TiBo won't survive in Singapore...

I think I just wasted S$1200...
Old 05-28-2006, 05:49 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Zig' post='288682' date='May 28 2006, 06:50 PM
My aircon blower motor started emitting loud humming noises in the morning lately. I've tried to drop by PML in the morning to complain about this problem but whenever I am near the service centre, the noise disappeared! There will be no noise for the rest of the day and it may or may not come back again the next morning. Sometimes, when I switch off he engine, a strange whistling noise continues to emit from the aircon duct for about 10 secs. This other problem happens once in a while and does not happen all the time.

Have anyone you here experienced the same problem? Maybe I'll just drop by PML anyway and describe the issue to them verbally.
Should bring it in... my problem is that of the musky smell... which the "heat treatment" seem to work... but why does it happen only to E60...I wonder...
Old 05-28-2006, 05:50 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Zig' post='288680' date='May 28 2006, 06:39 PM
I think the wing flaps can be retrofitted later.
I know on Saturday at Edlee's GTG... all mystery surrounding "Wing Flaps" would be revealed... but dying to know what it really is???
Old 05-28-2006, 06:01 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 523iA

Originally Posted by SFL33X' post='288718' date='May 28 2006, 09:50 PM
I know on Saturday at Edlee's GTG... all mystery surrounding "Wing Flaps" would be revealed... but dying to know what it really is???
Patience is the key 33! I would offer explanation but I will not do you justice..... Ed's Da Man for this!

BTW, sorry to hear your experience with Tibo.
Old 05-28-2006, 07:21 AM
Zig
Senior Members

Originally Posted by SFL33X' post='288716' date='May 28 2006, 09:47 PM
Re the Tibo which I got yesterday... (against the advice of Garmin recommendations... )...was not too good even though my only other GPS was the HP 6515...(which was crap)...

Cons:

- Map very outdated...
- No individual HDB blocks... only clusters of blocks.
- When on the CTE.. it kept telling me to keep right in 1km, 400m, 200m, 100m when I was ALREADY on the CTE... this was repeated throughout the whole CTE journey! I suspect it interpreted slip roads joining to the highway as though I was approaching it...
- inability to select a favourite by pointing on the map (i.e. via the GPS longtitude/latitude)
- the locking of signals even from a warm start took 3-5minutes... which is far too long.
- no "learning capability" of your preferred journey between home and favourite points...
- the reploting of journey too forever...
- the MP4 playback didn't work at all
- no "hibernation mode"... you either swich off the backlighting (which still drains the battery overnight) or you do a hard shutdown...resulting in 10minutes of recalibration etc...

Elecom or Core Technologies... should do a better job of updating the maps...otherwise TiBo won't survive in Singapore...

I think I just wasted S$1200...
You have the HP 6515? Why don't you try installing Garmin Que, GPSProxy and Malsingmaps on it? The maps are IMHO the most updated ones that I have come across.

I was playing around with Garmin Que on my MIO GPS Pocket PC in the last few days. Here are some limitations:

1. Does not zoom in and out of maps automatically with respect to travelling speed.
2. Sometimes it does not give the turn instructions at all. One example is from BKE joining PIE. My destination was supposed to be Toa Payoh when as I close in to PIE, it does not tell me if I should turn left to wards PIE east or go straight towards Jurong.
3. If you are driving too fast, the turn instructions will come in too late.
4. If you are in a small road not in its Maps, it will fail to route to your destination successfully. To solve this problem, I have to drive to a known road to route to my destination.

As Garmin Que is hardcoded to work with Harmin GPS 10 or GPS 18, you will need GPSProxy to convert standard NMEA GPS messages to Garmin's proprietry format. The problem with GPSProxy (I'm using version 2.2) today that on some PDAs (such as mine), it will hang your Pocket PC whenever it is switched off during its operation. The only way around this is to soft reset your PDA.

Other than the above complains, Garmin Que is far better than Agis Navigator.

For Singapore Navigation, I still prefer Mapking. My comments on Mapking:

+ves:
1. Screen updating and re-routing is lightning fast! Never failed to give me the right turn instructions in time
2. Nice 3D View
3. Map updates are free

-ves:
1. Maps are not as updated as Malsingmaps.
2. Voice always complaining "Please observe the speed limits and drive carefully" when I'm doing 60km/hr on most roads. The maps are probably coded at the old 50km/hr speed.
3. The speed warning voice "Please observe the speed limits and drive carefully", cannot be turned off. Its extremely irritating and the software likes to say it twice as though it was worried that I didn't hear it.
Old 05-28-2006, 07:36 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BZSAB' post='288713' date='May 28 2006, 09:34 PM
Thoroughly went thru specifications of nuvi 300 and 310 again and note that there are only two difference; bluetooth and anti-thief feature. By the way, from the website, nuvi 310 will be available June 2006.

For the bros here who have actually tested and seen the product, can you please offer advice on the followings,

1. Are maps of Malaysia and Singapore pre-loaded on the nuvi 300?
2. If Malaysia maps are pre-loaded, is it for the whole of Malaysia? If not, can they be downloaded free?
3. Can the text-speech feature be disabled?
1. Only Singapore and JB, Batam not included.

2. Malaysian map will be available soon, according to PW, you still need to purchase it even if you buy N300 now.

3. Not a user of N300 yet. Thinking of doing a group buy with my friends. Approx. S$1,100 all in incl. delivery, with US maps only, but no local warranty.
Old 05-28-2006, 07:42 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by lmk' post='288624' date='May 28 2006, 12:41 PM
Thanks, just updated the firmware.

Today driving down to Raffles City via ECP, Garmin suggested exit Rochor, up Rochor Rd, turn left at Victoria St, and left to Bras Basah with my destination on the right. But why Victoria St and not left to North Bridge Rd? I wonder if the problem is due to Malsing map, the firmware or the hardware?

Hiya, like someone told me, Garmin is helpful if you don't know how to go, but sometime it sucks if you already know the way. Well said.

Quick Reply: E60 for Singaporeans