E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 for Singaporeans

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 07:45 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 523iA

Originally Posted by tategoi' post='288759' date='May 28 2006, 11:36 PM
1. Only Singapore and JB, Batam not included.

2. Malaysian map will be available soon, according to PW, you still need to purchase it even if you buy N300 now.

3. Not a user of N300 yet. Thinking of doing a group buy with my friends. Approx. S$1,100 all in incl. delivery, with US maps only, but no local warranty.
Hey Tategoi,

No Batam map? How to be best Contractor like that?

If you buy US model, say nuvi 350 or 360, with US maps, how then can you get the MalSin maps uploaded? Do you have to purchase it or is there a free download?
Old 05-28-2006, 07:47 AM
Zig
Senior Members

My Ride: E39 525i, E60 530i, F10

Originally Posted by SFL33X' post='288717' date='May 28 2006, 09:49 PM
Should bring it in... my problem is that of the musky smell... which the "heat treatment" seem to work... but why does it happen only to E60...I wonder...
BMW cars will always exhibit minor problems that irritates the driver every now and then. Here are a list of problems I have experienced:

My former 3 year old E39 BMW 525i
1. Left Brake Light broke down 3 times in 1 year
2. On the third time, it melted the metal plate that held the bulb in place. Had to replace the rear light assembly.
3. Plastic cup holder broke while holding a can of Coke when I did a high speed cornering. Maybe the engineers did not expect the cup holder to hold the weight of a can of Coke in place.
4. Rubber hosing around the engine hardened. Touched some of them accidentally and it cracked, some turned into powder. Had to replace some of these tube housings.
5. 2 vertical rows of of LED on my Odometer went blank in the day but works on rainy days or at night when the weather is cool.
6. Aircon fan controller broke down
7. Fuel pump broke down

Current E60 530i
1. Car Computer complained Reverse light not working. Took it out, tested on a bench power supply, nothing wrong with the bulb, it works fine. The Car Computer simply does not like this bulb. Only way is to replace this bulb with a new one.
2. A small plastic retainer on the cup holder broke off. The plastic that held this retainer onto the main cup holder is too small and becomes brittle after a while and is easily broken.
3. Aircon motor start generating wierd hummy noise.
Old 05-28-2006, 07:49 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by SFL33X' post='288716' date='May 28 2006, 09:47 PM
Re the Tibo which I got yesterday... (against the advice of Garmin recommendations... )...was not too good eventhough my only other GPS was the HP 6515...(which was crap)...

Cons:

- Map very outdated...
- No individual HDB blocks... only clusters of blocks.
- When on the CTE.. it kept telling me to keep right in 1km, 400m, 200m, 100m when I was ALREADY on the CTE... this was repeated throughout the whole CTE journey! I suspect it interpreted slip roads joining to the highway as though I was approaching it...
- inability to select a favourite by pointing on the map (i.e. via the GPS longtitude/latitude)
- the locking of signals even from a warm start took 3-5minutes... which is far too long.
- no "learning capability" of your preferred journey between home and favourite points...
- the reploting of journey too forever...
- the MP4 playback didn't work at all
- no "hibernation mode"... you either swich off the backlighting (which still drains the battery overnight) or you do a hard shutdown...resulting in 10minutes of recalibration etc...

Elecom or Core Technologies... should do a better job of updating the maps...otherwise TiBo won't survive in Singapore...

I think I just wasted S$1200...
I did not buy Tibo because of (1) maps not updated as frequent as I want to be (2) the price (3) Tibo is too big to keep out of sight, a risk when parking at HDB and dark public car parks.

CTE....are you in the tunnel?...
My 60CS also took very long to log on, especially when I am moving....
Also no learning capability, I have my favourite route, but the Garmin does not share my view...

And now I seldom use my garmin because I have to keep charging the batteries after 2-3 days. I could wire it up permanently, but I still need to plug it out and keep the GPS when I park my car overnight, a bit leceh lah.
Old 05-28-2006, 07:53 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BZSAB' post='288761' date='May 28 2006, 11:45 PM
Hey Tategoi,

No Batam map? How to be best Contractor like that?

If you buy US model, say nuvi 350 or 360, with US maps, how then can you get the MalSin maps uploaded? Do you have to purchase it or is there a free download?
Free download at malsingmaps.com. PW suggest that you store the malsing maps in a separate SD card, and just put that card in to get malsing maps. And if you go US driving, then put back the SD with US maps.
Old 05-28-2006, 06:57 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tategoi' post='288764' date='May 28 2006, 11:49 PM
I did not buy Tibo because of (1) maps not updated as frequent as I want to be (2) the price (3) Tibo is too big to keep out of sight, a risk when parking at HDB and dark public car parks.

CTE....are you in the tunnel?...
My 60CS also took very long to log on, especially when I am moving....
Also no learning capability, I have my favourite route, but the Garmin does not share my view...

And now I seldom use my garmin because I have to keep charging the batteries after 2-3 days. I could wire it up permanently, but I still need to plug it out and keep the GPS when I park my car overnight, a bit leceh lah.
No I wasn't in the tunnel.. was travelling from Moulmein CTE all the way to Yishun... and the "keep right, XXXm ahead" was annoying as it kept doing it for the entire 12km stretch...
Old 05-28-2006, 07:09 PM
Senior Members

On the strong recommendations of many on this forum, I booked my appointment to be at Kampong Arang... My appointment was 9am with Mr Koh Guan Lee... they made me wait until 1020 before I got to see him.... the Receptionists did not even bother to pacify me ... (and I didn't see any Chio ones contrary to wat Edlee described).

Koh told me that the CIP v21 should not be updated unless I got problems with the car, as it will INCREASE my fuel usage... cos of long time to stay in each gear... and that I can only upgrade my s/w 13 times in the entire life span of the car...

Regard the cigaretter lighter socket... I was SURPRISED when it was refused repair/replacement as I am into my 3rd year warranty (i.e. PML's and not BMW's). They claimed that all internal parts are excluded from this PML warranty...

He further enlightened me that in all BMW cars, the cigarette lighter socket is NOT meant for charging phones or GPS... its meant for only for cigarette which incidentally for Singapore-bound cars, the lighter has been replaced with a dummy as our Government discourages smoking! :'( Therefore they are absolving themselves of an essentially poor design where once you pull out the device...the socket disengages itself..!

How is it possible for a BMW to NOT come with ability to charge gadgets???
Old 05-28-2006, 09:45 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Nothing to boast about!

Originally Posted by SFL33X' post='289050' date='May 28 2006, 10:09 PM
On the strong recommendations of many on this forum, I booked my appointment to be at Kampong Arang... My appointment was 9am with Mr Koh Guan Lee... they made me wait until 1020 before I got to see him.... the Receptionists did not even bother to pacify me ... (and I didn't see any Chio ones contrary to wat Edlee described).

Koh told me that the CIP v21 should not be updated unless I got problems with the car, as it will INCREASE my fuel usage... cos of long time to stay in each gear... and that I can only upgrade my s/w 13 times in the entire life span of the car...

Regard the cigaretter lighter socket... I was SURPRISED when it was refused repair/replacement as I am into my 3rd year warranty (i.e. PML's and not BMW's). They claimed that all internal parts are excluded from this PML warranty...

He further enlightened me that in all BMW cars, the cigarette lighter socket is NOT meant for charging phones or GPS... its meant for only for cigarette which incidentally for Singapore-bound cars, the lighter has been replaced with a dummy as our Government discourages smoking! :'( Therefore they are absolving themselves of an essentially poor design where once you pull out the device...the socket disengages itself..!

How is it possible for a BMW to NOT come with ability to charge gadgets???
You had been very patient to wait for 1hour20mins. I was fuming after 40mins, and pressed the reception (firmly and not hiding my displeasure). Then I got to see him.

I have heard of the limited updates but whether 13 or not I don't know. If the whole thing is Non-volatile memory base, it has limited write cycle life span. But 13 is way too short just because of this. There must be something else.

I won't want to update the software if I do not have any issues either. That's for sure. I got rear locking problems after I asked for an update to remove the silly lawyer's screen. And I think people tend to give a reason for them to update the software because BMW says it's not free ... even during warranty period.

Didn't follow your story on the cigarette issue; so don't quite understand. But I am disgusted with the claim that internal parts are excluded in the warranty. Is this stated anywhere? Small prints? Even small prints are debateable now even in Singapore.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 523iA

Originally Posted by lmk' post='288622' date='May 28 2006, 12:38 PM
Called PW this morning and sales guy confirms TTS is available for nuvi 300. Just to be sure, I visited the malsingmaps.com site and found a forum confirming this. Bad news is, PW has one nuvi left.....
Old 05-28-2006, 09:59 PM
Members

Originally Posted by SFL33X' post='288716' date='May 28 2006, 09:47 PM
Re the Tibo which I got yesterday... (against the advice of Garmin recommendations... )...was not too good eventhough my only other GPS was the HP 6515...(which was crap)...

I think I just wasted S$1200...
I bought the Tibo and returned it for a full refund - due to the same reasons you cited. Elecom tried to pacify me by offering free external antenna, memory cards, etc. Now I'm using Nuvi 360 with malsingmaps which is much much better.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:08 PM
Senior Members

if we buy a nuvi from the US, is there a way to load in the Garmin Singapore/Malaysia maps which are more detailed than the Malsingmaps?

Quick Reply: E60 for Singaporeans