E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 for Singaporeans

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 07:32 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lmk' post='287867' date='May 26 2006, 11:24 AM
nuvi 300 is the european equivalent to US nuvi 350
Nuvi 310 is the equiv. to Nuvi 360 in USA

the main difference is the bluetooth built in Nuvi 310 and 360

Both models are firmware upgradeable and provide "text to speech""

i.e. turn right 100m ahead into Orchard road.

and not

"turn right 100m ahead at the junction.""
I see... so the key difference is still the lack of Bluetooth...which means it cannot use as a speaker phone for our HP...correct?

I kinda like the TiBo's ability to view MP4.... how does the C320 and the new Nuvi fare in that dept?
Old 05-25-2006, 09:48 PM
Zig
Senior Members

My Ride: E39 525i, E60 530i, F10

Originally Posted by SFL33X' post='287848' date='May 26 2006, 10:58 AM
Hi, sorry for sounding confused.... Garmin uses the malsingmaps maps right? and it also has it own "off the shelf" map? So... I should get Garmin C320 cos the maps are free and more updated?

I went to Pin Liang this morning to see its VDO and Vit@s GPS.
I think if the Garmin doesn't come thru by tmr... I am gonna head down to Sin Ming to get the TiBo...
You are right. Garmin has its own maps and most models can read Malsingmaps as well.

Pin Liang may not be the best place to buy a GPS, you probably know a lot more than them after spending some time in this forum. They used to provide excellent personalised services but these days, they charge high prices and have this "take it or leave it" attitude.

Not sure how often TiBo updates its maps but IMHO buying a GPS with good updated maps is important. You can either get a Garmin or Pocket PC running Garmin's free Que software that reads Malsingmaps for both Singapore and Malaysia.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:07 PM
lmk
Contributors

Originally Posted by SFL33X' post='287874' date='May 26 2006, 11:32 AM
I see... so the key difference is still the lack of Bluetooth...which means it cannot use as a speaker phone for our HP...correct?

I kinda like the TiBo's ability to view MP4.... how does the C320 and the new Nuvi fare in that dept?
take a look here

http://www.garmin.com/products/nuvi360/

where do you want MP4? if you install the v/interface, you can almost play all video files through your CID.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:53 PM
Members

Originally Posted by lmk' post='287908' date='May 26 2006, 01:07 AM
take a look here

where do you want MP4? if you install the v/interface, you can almost play all video files through your CID.

if i buy a nuvi here with out the US maps can the US maps be copied over or must buy from garmin..ie password protected???
Old 05-25-2006, 10:55 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by lmk' post='287908' date='May 26 2006, 02:07 PM
take a look here

Thanks lmk... btw, how do I install the v/interface?
Old 05-25-2006, 11:07 PM
Senior Members

Something I found on the net for the much touted SiRF III and WAAS... unfortunately this feature which you pay for...in the Garmin Nuvi 310/360 would not be useful outside North America....

WAAS

You've heard the term WAAS, seen it on packaging and ads for GARMIN products, maybe even know it stands for Wide Area Augmentation System. Okay, so what the heck is it? Basically, it's a system of satellites and ground stations that provide GPS signal corrections, giving you even better position accuracy. How much better? Try an average of up to five times better. A WAAS-capable receiver can give you a position accuracy of better than three meters, 95 percent of the time. And you don't have to purchase additional receiving equipment or pay service fees to utilize WAAS.
What is WAAS?

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and the Department of Transportation are developing the WAAS program for use in precision flight approaches. Currently, GPS alone does not meet the FAA's navigation requirements for accuracy, integrity and availability. WAAS corrects for GPS signal errors caused by ionospheric disturbances, timing and satellite orbit errors and provides vital integrity information regarding the health of each GPS satellite. Although WAAS has not yet been approved for aviation, the system is available for civilian use, such as for boaters and recreational GPS users.

How it Works

WAAS consists of approximately 25 ground reference stations positioned across the United States that monitor GPS satellite data. Two master stations, located on either coast, collect data from the reference stations and create a GPS correction message. This correction accounts for GPS satellite orbit and clock drift plus signal delays caused by the atmosphere and ionosphere. The corrected differential message is then broadcast through one of two geostationary satellites, or satellites with a fixed position over the equator. The information is compatible with the basic GPS signal structure, which means any WAAS-enabled GPS receiver can read the signal.

Who benefits from WAAS?

Currently, WAAS satellite coverage is only available in North America. There are no ground reference stations in South America, so even though GPS users there can receive WAAS, the signal has not been corrected and thus would not improve the accuracy of their unit. For some users in the U.S., the position of the satellites over the equator makes it difficult to receive the signals when trees or mountains obstruct the view of the horizon. WAAS signal reception is ideal for open land and marine applications. WAAS provides extended coverage both inland and offshore compared to the land-based DGPS (differential GPS) system. Another benefit of WAAS is that it does not require additional receiving equipment while DGPS does.

Other governments are developing similar satellite-based differential systems. In Asia, it's the Japanese Multi-Functional Satellite Augmentation System (MSAS), while Europe has the Euro Geostationary Navigation Overlay Service (EGNOS). Eventually, GPS users around the world will have access to precise position data using these and other compatible systems.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:12 PM
lmk
Contributors

Originally Posted by SFL33X' post='287926' date='May 26 2006, 02:55 PM
Thanks lmk... btw, how do I install the v/interface?
just buy the interface, ask Ah Boa to install.
or you can ask him to arrange everything for you including wires and tv tuner.
he installed for most of us.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:22 PM
lmk
Contributors

Originally Posted by SFL33X' post='287928' date='May 26 2006, 03:07 PM
Something I found on the net for the much touted SiRF III and WAAS... unfortunately this feature which you pay for...in the Garmin Nuvi 310/360 would not be useful outside North America....

WAAS

You've heard the term WAAS, .......
Too Chim liao.

No doubt WAAS is not utilised outside USA but SirF III is useful here.

the 24 satelites at more than 60,000 ft above us are owned by the US forces.
They were used for military purposes but had since open to civilian use as the US forces are into more sophiscated equipment
therefore all the signals we received are free, if not, we need to pay subscriptions to use it.
For most of us, these signals is good enough for accuracies up to 25-50m.

As to SirF III chip, this is a new GPS chip that can receive up to 32 channels at one time. you need at least 3 sat to give accurate data. Try it, side by side, it will take longer for a non SirF chip to lock on to 3 sat before providing useful navigation. Accuracy from a SirF III receiver is more accurate anytime.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Nothing to boast about!

Originally Posted by lmk' post='287933' date='May 26 2006, 02:22 AM
Too Chim liao.

No doubt WAAS is not utilised outside USA but SirF III is useful here.

the 24 satelites at more than 60,000 ft above us are owned by the US forces.
They were used for military purposes but had since open to civilian use as the US forces are into more sophiscated equipment
therefore all the signals we received are free, if not, we need to pay subscriptions to use it.
For most of us, these signals is good enough for accuracies up to 25-50m.

As to SirF III chip, this is a new GPS chip that can receive up to 32 channels at one time. you need at least 3 sat to give accurate data. Try it, side by side, it will take longer for a non SirF chip to lock on to 3 sat before providing useful navigation. Accuracy from a SirF III receiver is more accurate anytime.
I have used both Sirf III+ and Sirf II. I junked the latter which I had used only 1 time after I saw the former in operation.
I have vkool klar at the front, Sirf II couldn't even lock. With Sirf III the lock was in seconds for warm start.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:43 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Stranger' post='287944' date='May 26 2006, 04:16 PM
I have used both Sirf III+ and Sirf II. I junked the latter which I had used only 1 time after I saw the former in operation.
I have vkool klar at the front, Sirf II couldn't even lock. With Sirf III the lock was in seconds for warm start.
Which are the GPS (standalone) today that has the SiRF III? Only Garmin C320 or others as well? Thanks!

Quick Reply: E60 for Singaporeans