E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 for Singaporeans

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 09:21 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lmk' post='287375' date='May 25 2006, 12:49 PM
yes, i did.

the device still uses the VGA input, therefore you will still need the video interface and deteriotes the resolution.
Moreover, i think garmin has the best map details.
Moreover, Malsingmaps is always updated and it is free!

hi lmk,

how isit? any good?

are the garmin maps really that good? i thot it has areas that it does not cover. is yours the same as the one on preview here? http://www.malsingmaps.net:8080/geoserver/...lsing/index.jsp

actually i'd prefer to keep the display via vga out to use the idrive screen. avoids having too many things connected here and there.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:22 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by lmk' post='287385' date='May 25 2006, 01:17 PM
That is why i use mapkng. the latest updates have HDB blocks included. At no charge.
Driving around HDB neighbourhood looking for the right block number drives me nuts...i am a lost bird as far as statellites town is concern. Too many traffic ligths, cars making right turns, student crossings, and yet still have to keep an eye looking out for the block numbers!
With the mapking software, driving in a new town is a breeze!

mapking software runs on garmin?
Old 05-24-2006, 09:23 PM
lmk
Contributors

Originally Posted by bugaboo' post='287384' date='May 25 2006, 01:14 PM
if you replace the original screen with touchscreen monitor, wouldn't it be too far to reach to touch the screen? maybe my hands are short. seems quite far to stretch leh.
Maybe you can imagine this, remove the anti reflective plastic, seat the 7"wide screen 2 inch infront of the orignal screen (no need to remove the original). Flush the 2 curve sides with some graphite coated panels that blend with your interior or leather wrap pieces.
The touch screen will be within reach....

Access radio station through the Mac radio, all other functions from the CID is not critical for daily use anyway.

dream on....but possible.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:26 PM
Zig
Senior Members

My Ride: E39 525i, E60 530i, F10

Originally Posted by lmk' post='287375' date='May 25 2006, 12:49 PM
yes, i did.

the device still uses the VGA input, therefore you will still need the video interface and deteriotes the resolution.
Moreover, i think garmin has the best map details.
Moreover, Malsingmaps is always updated and it is free!
Some Garmin models also come with a built-in digital compass. This is extremely useful for the GPS not to be confused with its orientation when you stop at a junction. On most portable GPS systems without digital compass, like my Pocket PC based GPS system, they may not tell you the correct direction because the orientation may not be correct.

My GPS was no help to me at all, after I broke contact with the rest of the cars, during my last trip to Melaka. There were lots of traffic junctions and the GPS could not direct me to the destination correctly.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:29 PM
Zig
Senior Members

My Ride: E39 525i, E60 530i, F10

Originally Posted by bugaboo' post='287384' date='May 25 2006, 01:14 PM
if you replace the original screen with touchscreen monitor, wouldn't it be too far to reach to touch the screen? maybe my hands are short. seems quite far to stretch leh.
Ha ha ha! You are right! Maybe a Griffin knob will be sufficient to do the job.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:29 PM
lmk
Contributors

Originally Posted by bugaboo' post='287386' date='May 25 2006, 01:21 PM
hi lmk,

how isit? any good?

are the garmin maps really that good? i thot it has areas that it does not cover. is yours the same as the one on preview here? http://www.malsingmaps.net:8080/geoserver/...lsing/index.jsp

actually i'd prefer to keep the display via vga out to use the idrive screen. avoids having too many things connected here and there.
the maps from global is not that detailed.

i download maps from here http://www.malsingmaps.com/forum/modules.p...download&cid=10
this is the most comprehensive maps for malaysia and Singapore (except for HDB blocks)
The group keeps all roads updated frequently.
Tategoi can also share his experience.

i agree too many things in the dash is crowded, that is why i have a mac with both Enroute that uses garmin maps and mapking in singapore where HDB blocks are needed.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:34 PM
lmk
Contributors

Originally Posted by bugaboo' post='287387' date='May 25 2006, 01:22 PM
mapking software runs on garmin?
no lah!

i use macmini to run either mapking or enroute.

alternatively, i use my Atom installed with garmin Que together with a proxy....on top of that, mapking is installed in the Atom too.

this is handy when i am travelling like europe or USA. Now mapking comes with many cities in Asia, not bad.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:41 PM
lmk
Contributors

Originally Posted by Zig' post='287391' date='May 25 2006, 01:26 PM
Some Garmin models also come with a built-in digital compass. This is extremely useful for the GPS not to be confused with its orientation when you stop at a junction. On most portable GPS systems without digital compass, like my Pocket PC based GPS system, they may not tell you the correct direction because the orientation may not be correct.

My GPS was no help to me at all, after I broke contact with the rest of the cars, during my last trip to Melaka. There were lots of traffic junctions and the GPS could not direct me to the destination correctly.
which pocket pc GPS are you using?
usually you can select orientation like "point to North"or "direction of travel""
just move forward a little and the gps will show you your bearing.

if your are lost, like in malaka. try not to use POI, but ask someone for co-ordinates. enter the co-ordinates as destination. you will find the location. If you are using pocket gps, better, just cut and paste thru SMS and bingo!

therefore, like in the army, always mark several check points and meeting points. this helps in navigation.

IN aviation, we use waypoints on board. but of course, you need wing flaps!
Old 05-24-2006, 09:43 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by lmk' post='287394' date='May 25 2006, 01:34 PM
no lah!

i use macmini to run either mapking or enroute.

alternatively, i use my Atom installed with garmin Que together with a proxy....on top of that, mapking is installed in the Atom too.

this is handy when i am travelling like europe or USA. Now mapking comes with many cities in Asia, not bad.
would you say mapking is the best for HDB block info?

does vitas have hdb block info? i'm tempted to get it. believe it or not, i miss having the gps feature in my car. I found it really useful, even tho the bmw system is not supposed to be the best.

I like the fact that vitas outputs vga.

i've been sitting on the carputer idea on the car for a long time. busy and not sure if i wanna do pc or mac. keep procrastinatng
Old 05-24-2006, 09:48 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bugaboo' post='287398' date='May 25 2006, 01:43 PM
would you say mapking is the best for HDB block info?

does vitas have hdb block info? i'm tempted to get it. believe it or not, i miss having the gps feature in my car. I found it really useful, even tho the bmw system is not supposed to be the best.

I like the fact that vitas outputs vga.

i've been sitting on the carputer idea on the car for a long time. busy and not sure if i wanna do pc or mac. keep procrastinatng
Guys, anyone wants to see the demo piece for Vit@s? They have it at Pin Liang, near Great World City/Concorde Hotel at Havelock Road.... They are opened from 930pm-630pm daily.

The 7" model looks cool.... I am going later....

Quick Reply: E60 for Singaporeans