E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 for Singaporeans

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 12:27 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SFL33X' post='283960' date='May 18 2006, 11:29 AM
Edlee, the PML guys kept telling me my Apr04 E60 cannot pay MP3 CDs... Anyone I should speak with who can help at PML? Which service center did you get your "excellent service"? Thanks!
Yours must be a professional radio before you can play MP3. Business radio cannot do so. You can check with Paul or Jeff Vasaloo at Kg Arang. Dennis is on MC
Old 05-18-2006, 01:05 AM
lmk
Contributors

Originally Posted by Stranger' post='284078' date='May 18 2006, 03:55 PM
If I am not wrong, the resistor ? and caps ? form a high pass filter cutting off at around 50Hz. That could explain the lack of bass. It also does the DC block in technical speak. The reason is the player may have a different biasing point compared to the ipod output stage. You don't want to have 2 different DC levels fighting each other.

My guess without them, the amp input is now sitting a higher DC which could explain the louder volume heard.

Sorry for the technical mumbo jumbo.

Personally I won't remove them. But that's just me.
you are correct, i tried not to explain too technical.
the cap cuts higher than 50hz, and my active crossover cuts at 75-80hz, meaning nothing left for bass.
The DC filter and Bias is to safeguard different types of inputs from different players, not only iPod.
The second cap also tend to cut off high freqs too, thus lack of clarity in the end.

i took out mine, and i never look back now....sweet smooth sound from my amp.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Nothing to boast about!

Originally Posted by lmk' post='284111' date='May 18 2006, 04:05 AM
you are correct, i tried not to explain too technical.
the cap cuts higher than 50hz, and my active crossover cuts at 75-80hz, meaning nothing left for bass.
The DC filter and Bias is to safeguard different types of inputs from different players, not only iPod.
The second cap also tend to cut off high freqs too, thus lack of clarity in the end.

i took out mine, and i never look back now....sweet smooth sound from my amp.
Sorry guys, let me indulge with LMK on this.

You are right, it's not just iPod. What was I thinking ...

Where's the second cap? I only saw something like this:

L-------| |----------------
------------|
--------------
-----------| | <---- virtual ground
--------------
------------|
R-------| |----------------

Then there is only a 1st order CR low pass.

Arg... the spaces cannot be reproduced. Yaks.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:24 AM
lmk
Contributors

Originally Posted by Stranger' post='284115' date='May 18 2006, 05:41 PM
Sorry guys, let me indulge with LMK on this.

You are right, it's not just iPod. What was I thinking ...

Where's the second cap? I only saw something like this:

L-------| |----------------
------------|
--------------
-----------| | <---- virtual ground
--------------
------------|
R-------| |----------------

Then there is only a 1st order CR low pass.

Arg... the spaces cannot be reproduced. Yaks.
Wah! we are going into filters and impedence now.... very chim ah.
it is actually a band pass rather than a 1st order high pass filter (by the way, how do you deduce it is low pass? i am a little confused). yes, one more cap in parallel between the 2 line-in. i should have kept it, but i think i threw it away. I am not sure are there any variants in other aux input. I can only speak for the filter in my car.

I think they include this for impedence matching although our MP3 player have high impedence output. It meant more for an overall input impedence into the built in amp.
But most of the time, in this case, we used the headset output of our iPod for signals, instead of the low level output.
Therefore there is a noticeable difference in signal input as it is not matched perfectly.

I hope we did not bore or even confuse some other forummers....sorri guys..
let's talk over a cup off coffee in our gatherings and hear the diff between not removed and removed filters.
Whatever it is, do it according to each taste.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:09 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Olivin530i' post='284032' date='May 18 2006, 02:39 PM
PML claims that it is normal to top up a little in between oil service (that's why they have this 1L in your boot after oil service) if you have 520i. I asm not sure if that is the norm for 523i, 525i or others but mine does NOT seem to need to top up.
Mine experience was to top-up 1L after every 8,000 Km. Even after my 1st and 2nd servicing, PML would always stuff 1L in my boot, it seems a normal occurence in 520. My friend's 523 also got this message after 4,000 Km.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Nothing to boast about!

Originally Posted by lmk' post='284120' date='May 18 2006, 05:24 AM
Wah! we are going into filters and impedence now.... very chim ah.
it is actually a band pass rather than a 1st order high pass filter (by the way, how do you deduce it is low pass? i am a little confused). yes, one more cap in parallel between the 2 line-in. i should have kept it, but i think i threw it away. I am not sure are there any variants in other aux input. I can only speak for the filter in my car.

I think they include this for impedence matching although our MP3 player have high impedence output. It meant more for an overall input impedence into the built in amp.
But most of the time, in this case, we used the headset output of our iPod for signals, instead of the low level output.
Therefore there is a noticeable difference in signal input as it is not matched perfectly.

I hope we did not bore or even confuse some other forummers....sorri guys..
let's talk over a cup off coffee in our gatherings and hear the diff between not removed and removed filters.
Whatever it is, do it according to each taste.
Ok you caught me again. The CR is a high pass.
This diagram I got it from this forum when they first talked about removing these stuff. Maybe there is this cap you mentioned which I have missed.
I am more afraid about damaging the ipod or whatever output driver.
Ok we take it off line when we next meet...
Old 05-18-2006, 04:45 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Edlee' post='284089' date='May 18 2006, 04:27 PM
Yours must be a professional radio before you can play MP3. Business radio cannot do so. You can check with Paul or Jeff Vasaloo at Kg Arang. Dennis is on MC

Your are right. In fact, Dennis has tried changing the software of my ride (somewhere in January) to see if my stock I.C.E (Business radio) can be MP3 "enabled" without success. He told me he has done once on a 545 and was successful.

PML today finally admitted that there was something wrong with my friend high engine oil consumption E60. They said they have to carry out thorough check and this can only be done in about 2 or 3 weeks time.
Old 05-18-2006, 05:04 AM
lmk
Contributors

Originally Posted by tcc39' post='284170' date='May 18 2006, 08:45 PM
Your are right. In fact, Dennis has tried changing the software of my ride (somewhere in January) to see if my stock I.C.E (Business radio) can be MP3 "enabled" without success. He told me he has done once on a 545 and was successful.

PML today finally admitted that there was something wrong with my friend high engine oil consumption E60. They said they have to carry out thorough check and this can only be done in about 2 or 3 weeks time.
Some older version has pro radio in it although it was not spec'ed during ordering, therefore it can play MP3. But once a newer version of software upgraded into the comp, it fails to read mp3 again....

Something wrong with the engine? swop the engine! to a higher capacity i.e....
Old 05-18-2006, 06:44 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tcc39' post='284170' date='May 18 2006, 08:45 PM
So, yours was the case Dennis was asking me about in January. The 545 he mentioned is mine. PML didn't know about it and accidentally enabled my MP3.

Received the dreaded letter from Traffic Police. Got quite a surprise when I opened it; just a warning letter. My M6 brakes must be good. Seems I managed to slow down enough for them not to book me, phew......
Old 05-18-2006, 06:58 AM
Zig
Senior Members

My Ride: E39 525i, E60 530i, F10

Originally Posted by Edlee' post='284209' date='May 18 2006, 10:44 PM
Received the dreaded letter from Traffic Police. Got quite a surprise when I opened it; just a warning letter. My M6 brakes must be good. Seems I managed to slow down enough for them not to book me, phew......
They knew you were speeding from the video images but probably you did not cover enough distance to judge you as outright speeding. The TP must satisfied at your alertness and how fast your M6 could be tamned down to legal speeds. You respect the law, they respect you

Quick Reply: E60 for Singaporeans