E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 for Singaporeans

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 01:02 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm gonna run down later to Handy-Fix to check. Saw quite a few colored ones there; maybe..... just maybe.

But isn't there a simpler way to get white lights? I remember my Honda Civic from years ago. The in dash lights were white. When I opened up the dash to check, the bulbs were covered in blue condoms!!! Even my high beam bulbs which I upgraded have their glass lens coated in blue. Maybe can try.
Old 10-23-2005, 03:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Nothing to boast about!

Originally Posted by Edlee' date='Oct 23 2005, 04:02 AM
I'm gonna run down later to Handy-Fix to check.? Saw quite a few colored ones there; maybe..... just maybe.

But isn't there a simpler way to get white lights?? I remember my Honda Civic from years ago.? The in dash lights were white.? When I opened up the dash to check, the bulbs were covered in blue condoms!!!? Even my high beam bulbs which I upgraded have their glass lens coated in blue.? Maybe can try.
[snapback]187521[/snapback]
Yeah, the blue one could be white. I couldn't find a 5W one at the Autobacc near my place. They are all 10W.

Actually come to think about it, it's not worth using the LED which is supposed to be power efficient. But the car checks the current consumption; so will have to fool it by wasting current. Not a good idea actually. :'(
Old 10-23-2005, 08:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by Stranger' date='Oct 23 2005, 03:11 PM
[quote name='Edlee' date='Oct 23 2005, 01:33 AM'][quote name='AC_S5' date='Oct 23 2005, 11:07 AM']When you find the solution to the blinking and the LED heating up, you can post a soluation, but in english of course.
[snapback]187457[/snapback]
Huh?
[snapback]187492[/snapback]
[/quote]

s'taht tahw I thguoht ... or thguoht I tahw s'taht

Anyway, my solution is unlikely to be suitable for most people. I diy'ed everything from scratch. (Just want to see how cheap it can be also)

Just wondering why there is no white one around. I saw blue, green and red at Autobacc
[snapback]187499[/snapback]
[/quote]

damn, want a solution for us ordinary people, maybe I will go talk to those people in Hong Kong who does audio systems or lighting on their cars. Maybe they can think of a way.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by Stranger' date='Oct 23 2005, 07:29 PM
[quote name='Edlee' date='Oct 23 2005, 04:02 AM']I'm gonna run down later to Handy-Fix to check.? Saw quite a few colored ones there; maybe..... just maybe.

But isn't there a simpler way to get white lights?? I remember my Honda Civic from years ago.? The in dash lights were white.? When I opened up the dash to check, the bulbs were covered in blue condoms!!!? Even my high beam bulbs which I upgraded have their glass lens coated in blue.? Maybe can try.
Yeah, the blue one could be white. I couldn't find a 5W one at the Autobacc near my place. They are all 10W.

Actually come to think about it, it's not worth using the LED which is supposed to be power efficient. But the car checks the current consumption; so will have to fool it by wasting current. Not a good idea actually. :'(
[snapback]187535[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yeah you are right, BMW uses the LED on their side mirrors for the lights package but not for their brake lights (like E46) or lights above the license plate. Guess they want to keep the original look of a car with yellow lights above the license plate.

With cars that uses so much power nowadays, they should find a way to reduce the usage of power for different accessories.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:00 PM
lmk
Contributors

Originally Posted by AC_S5' date='Oct 24 2005, 12:14 AM
[quote name='Stranger' date='Oct 23 2005, 07:29 PM'][quote name='Edlee' date='Oct 23 2005, 04:02 AM']I'm gonna run down later to Handy-Fix to check.? Saw quite a few colored ones there; maybe..... just maybe.

[/quote]

Yeah you are right, BMW uses the LED on their side mirrors for the lights package but not for their brake lights (like E46) or lights above the license plate. Guess they want to keep the original look of a car with yellow lights above the license plate.

With cars that uses so much power nowadays, they should find a way to reduce the usage of power for different accessories.
[snapback]187607[/snapback]
[/quote]

i am sure they do!

i saw shops in Mongkok and the one sham shui po selling "white light bulbs"
i also see LED arrays for cars.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:56 PM
lmk
Contributors

Originally Posted by lmk' date='Oct 24 2005, 03:00 PM
[quote name='AC_S5' date='Oct 24 2005, 12:14 AM'][quote name='Stranger' date='Oct 23 2005, 07:29 PM'][quote name='Edlee' date='Oct 23 2005, 04:02 AM']I'm gonna run down later to Handy-Fix to check.? Saw quite a few colored ones there; maybe..... just maybe.

[/quote]

[snapback]187607[/snapback]
[/quote]

i am sure they do!

i saw shops in Mongkok and the one sham shui po selling "white light bulbs"
i also see LED arrays for cars.
[snapback]187907[/snapback]
[/quote]

http://autolumination.com/bmw/906.htm
take a look at the LED white lites... plug and play.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:33 AM
Senior Members

Got the blue tinted bulbs at Home-Fix today but unfortunately they were a little too short. Couldn't find bulbs long enough to fix. I am sure if we scan either AutoBacs or Stamford Tyre shops we will be able to find this very easy solution.

The guys at the counter told me that the color of the lights are not completely white but come with a tinge of blue because of the blue coating.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:06 AM
lmk
Contributors

Originally Posted by Edlee' date='Oct 24 2005, 09:33 PM
Got the blue tinted bulbs at Home-Fix today but unfortunately they were a little too short.? Couldn't find bulbs long enough to fix.? I am sure if we scan either AutoBacs or Stamford Tyre shops we will be able to find this very easy solution.

The guys at the counter told me that the color of the lights are not completely white but come with a tinge of blue because of the blue coating.
[snapback]187943[/snapback]

why not try the LED? filament lamp will always be orangey.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:18 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by lmk' date='Oct 24 2005, 10:06 PM
why not try the LED? filament lamp will always be orangey.
[snapback]187955[/snapback]
Yeah, can always buy LED if available, but normal filament seems the simplest solution.

Anyway, I had no intention to light up my license plate in white; its just that the guys were discussing this, so I decided to try it out; maybe can get a free beer from Toto.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:50 PM
lmk
Contributors

Originally Posted by Edlee' date='Oct 24 2005, 11:18 PM
[quote name='lmk' date='Oct 24 2005, 10:06 PM']why not try the LED? filament lamp will always be orangey.
[snapback]187955[/snapback]
Yeah, can always buy LED if available, but normal filament seems the simplest solution.

Anyway, I had no intention to light up my license plate in white; its just that the guys were discussing this, so I decided to try it out; maybe can get a free beer from Toto.
[snapback]187987[/snapback]
[/quote]

haha! i am in manila now.

toto! next time if i get the LED for you and you buy beer ok?

Quick Reply: E60 for Singaporeans