E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 for Singaporeans

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 06:36 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by bugaboo' date='Oct 20 2005, 05:41 PM
[quote name='AC_S5' date='Oct 20 2005, 04:35 PM']Hi Singaporeans

As some of you have talked about the white license plate light of the GS, well...I've found a light bulb that's the same spec as the one above the license plate and is in LED meaning that the light is white just like the Lexus GS .?

But the problem is I put both in and it lights up but the computer shows a plate light failure for both lights ? I can't go back to the dealer to have this fix as this would for sure void my warranty.? Any suggestion.
[snapback]186448[/snapback]

i think you need to add a resistor between the 2 ends of the bulb, to simulate the filament.

something like this guy?
http://www.540i6.com/ledlights.html

[snapback]186461[/snapback]
[/quote]

wow, can you blow that by me in english please! I need an easier solution.

Originally Posted by zag' date='Oct 20 2005, 05:49 PM
[quote name='AC_S5' date='Oct 20 2005, 04:35 PM']Hi Singaporeans

As some of you have talked about the white license plate light of the GS, well...I've found a light bulb that's the same spec as the one above the license plate and is in LED meaning that the light is white just like the Lexus GS .?

But the problem is I put both in and it lights up but the computer shows a plate light failure for both lights ? I can't go back to the dealer to have this fix as this would for sure void my warranty.? Any suggestion.
[snapback]186448[/snapback]

When you said equal in specs, how do you mean? can you post the pics of the LED bulbs?
I suspect the LED you are using were drawing too low a current therefore triggering open circuit on the sensor. One way to resolve this is to add LED to increase the current draw.
[snapback]186464[/snapback]
[/quote]

Equal spec being same size and the bulb say 12v on it as it is with OEM bulbs. But I think you might be right that the LED is drawing too little electricity and trigger an open circuit. But again I need a simple solution and adding LED is not simple.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Nothing to boast about!

Originally Posted by AC_S5' date='Oct 20 2005, 09:36 AM
Equal spec being same size and the bulb say 12v on it as it is with OEM bulbs.? But I think you might be right that the LED is drawing too little electricity and trigger an open circuit.? But again I need a simple solution and adding LED is not simple.
[snapback]186549[/snapback]
That's not enough. The spec says 12V **and** 5W. That means it will consume 416mA. A LED consumes typically only 20-80mA. I guess that's why the computer thinks there is a blown light.

You maybe able to get away with a high wattage resistor (something like 5W) of value 30Ohm (assuming the LED consumes about 20mA) in parallel to fool the computer.

Sorry if I sound too technical. But that's just my thought. Need to try it out to see.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by Stranger' date='Oct 20 2005, 10:45 PM
That's not enough. The spec says 12V **and** 5W. That means it will consume 416mA. A LED consumes typically only 20-80mA. I guess that's why the computer thinks there is a blown light.

You maybe able to get away with a high wattage resistor (something like 5W) of value 30Ohm (assuming the LED consumes about 20mA) in parallel to fool the computer.

Sorry if I sound too technical. But that's just my thought. Need to try it out to see.
[snapback]186556[/snapback]
I know I should have stay awake during the high school science course? But too late, now I am doing Accounting now, but anyways how do you add a resistor to the bulb?
Old 10-20-2005, 09:14 AM
zag
Contributors

My Ride: e60 530i - SOLD!

Originally Posted by AC_S5' date='Oct 20 2005, 10:51 PM
[quote name='Stranger' date='Oct 20 2005, 10:45 PM']

I know I should have stay awake during the high school science course? But too late, now I am doing Accounting now, but anyways how do you add a resistor to the bulb?
[snapback]186561[/snapback]
[/quote]

accountants are those who are populating these threads!
engineers like us spent too much time chasing sparks or tin bending we forgot where the dough is. can you post pic of the LED set up you used?
I am wondering if the current is not blowing your LEDs up with the high voltage.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:45 PM
Members

lmk, I am currently in Sydney and just visited the Australian International Motor Show. The highlights of the Lexus stand is the IS350 and Lexus LFC concept cars. The IS looks great both outside and inside although it is a much smaller car than the E60. I think PML will lose a lot of the 3 series customers to Lexus when the IS250 is out in Singapore. The interior of the IS looks better and more cool than the GS300. I am sure the performance will be exhilerating. Can't wait to test drive it.

Originally Posted by lmk' date='Oct 20 2005, 12:39 AM
quite cool...i would choose the 350 with AWD if available.

the new IS
[snapback]186427[/snapback]
Old 10-20-2005, 04:30 PM
lmk
Contributors

Originally Posted by Kiasu King Kong' date='Oct 21 2005, 07:45 AM
lmk, I am currently in Sydney and just visited the Australian International Motor Show. The highlights of the Lexus stand is the IS350 and Lexus LFC concept cars. The IS looks great both outside and inside although it is a much smaller car than the E60. I think PML will lose a lot of the 3 series customers to Lexus when the IS250 is out in Singapore. The interior of the IS looks better and more cool than the GS300. I am sure the performance will be exhilerating. Can't wait to test drive it.

[quote name='lmk' date='Oct 20 2005, 12:39 AM']quite cool...i would choose the 350 with AWD if available.

the new IS
[snapback]186427[/snapback]
[snapback]186807[/snapback]
[/quote]

KKK,

let's go test drive the beast when it is launch in Singapore. i think the AWD will perform. did you manage to test the car in Aussie?
hope the dash board is not as plasticky.
i'll still stay with the 5 & 7 but as a toy car, why not? i have bad experience with the South African assb. cars, therefore i will never touch the 3er.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:39 PM
lmk
Contributors

Originally Posted by zag' date='Oct 21 2005, 01:14 AM
[quote name='AC_S5' date='Oct 20 2005, 10:51 PM'][quote name='Stranger' date='Oct 20 2005, 10:45 PM']

[/quote]

engineers like us spent too much time chasing sparks or tin bending we forgot where the dough is. can you post pic of the LED set up you used?
I am wondering if the current is not blowing your LEDs up with the high voltage.
[snapback]186660[/snapback]
[/quote]

zag,

very simple la.

just connect the resistor in parallel with the LED will do.
alternatively,
i was in HK last wk and was browsing in Mongkok and sham shui po. they sell those white bulbs substitute in the car accessories shops. just plug and play.
the whole set inlcuding the interior cabin lights and licence plate lights cost something like 450hkd.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:05 PM
zag
Contributors

My Ride: e60 530i - SOLD!

Originally Posted by lmk' date='Oct 21 2005, 08:39 AM
[quote name='zag' date='Oct 21 2005, 01:14 AM'][quote name='AC_S5' date='Oct 20 2005, 10:51 PM'][quote name='Stranger' date='Oct 20 2005, 10:45 PM']

[/quote]

[snapback]186660[/snapback]
[/quote]

zag,

very simple la.

just connect the resistor in parallel with the LED will do.
alternatively,
i was in HK last wk and was browsing in Mongkok and sham shui po. they sell those white bulbs substitute in the car accessories shops. just plug and play.
the whole set inlcuding the interior cabin lights and licence plate lights cost something like 450hkd.
[snapback]186828[/snapback]
[/quote]

lmk,
ac_s5 did not say he had parallel resistor, that's why i'm curious what he bought looked like. He said he plug it in and it still works and no blown LEDs.?!
Old 10-20-2005, 06:39 PM
Contributors

This LED thing is harder than I thought. I couldn't take a picture of the bulb that I brought because my camera wouldn't allow me to (too small) is the same type of bulb but instead of the wire (forgot what those are call) inside, they replace it with 6 LED lights on a circuit board. Don't know if you know what I am talking about.

And I don't know what is parallel and stuff, too hard for me.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:23 PM
lmk
Contributors

Originally Posted by AC_S5' date='Oct 21 2005, 10:39 AM
This LED thing is harder than I thought.? I couldn't take a picture of the bulb that I brought because my camera wouldn't allow me to (too small) is the same type of bulb but instead of the wire (forgot what those are call) inside, they replace it with 6 LED lights on a circuit board.? Don't know if you know what I am talking about.

And I don't know what is parallel and stuff, too hard for me.
[snapback]186869[/snapback]
ah...i know what you mean now.

it is a whole series of LED connected in series, as 1 LED can take 2volts, 6 of them can take 12 volts in series.

like those flashlight they sold in Sham shui po. right?

Quick Reply: E60 for Singaporeans