E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 for Singaporeans

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 09:36 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Edlee' date='Aug 16 2005, 08:49 PM
INTENSIVE DRIVER TRAINING

Sorry to have to use up space here for the above subject, but can the following please submit your applications thru the following link urgently:

http://www.pml.com.sg/bmw/DT/index.html

Tategoi
Eggz
Totoseow
Zag

I have sent out PMs to you guys.? Please do so immediately if possible to avoid disappointment.? Kindly PM me once you have done so.
[snapback]159786[/snapback]
I got your PM. Thanks. I will do it this weekend.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:52 PM
lmk
Contributors

Originally Posted by tategoi' date='Aug 19 2005, 01:32 PM
[quote name='yslim26' date='Aug 19 2005, 10:00 AM']Hi all, just registered in this forum after finding out that there is such a forum for E60 owners in Singapore. Got my E60 520iA since April and is now considering installing the GPS system from PML. Was quoted around S$9000. Not sure if it's worthwhile. I was advised by other friends to buy a PDA with GPS receiver as it's more cost effective. However, I don't think that it's a neat solution and I would like to utilize the stock i-drive screen. Now it's a white elephant as I only use it for PDC. Seems silly to have the screen for this purpose only. Sometimes, I'm dumbfounded when passengers ask me what is the screen for. Most would expect to view TVs or VCDs etc. Hence, I rather go for the built in kind that PML is offering. Is there any other built in solution offered in S'pore besides PML? Hope that you guys can advise me. Thanks.
[snapback]160913[/snapback]
I have a Garmin hand-held GPS, I can show you when we meet.
[snapback]160946[/snapback]
[/quote]

http://www.eastgear.com/shop/product_info....products_id=485
easy solution...
Old 08-18-2005, 09:53 PM
lmk
Contributors

Originally Posted by tategoi' date='Aug 19 2005, 01:32 PM
[quote name='Edlee' date='Aug 18 2005, 11:01 PM']Guys, anybody keen on a meet-up maybe towards the end of Aug?? Again, its been quite a while and pals like Tategoi and Totoseow who missed the last one at PML might like to turn up.

I'm really sorry I missed the "doughnut" performance put up by Totoseow; maybe he can show it again?

First, we need a date and then a location.? Is 27 or 28 Aug fine with you guys?? Show of hands please.
[snapback]160643[/snapback]
Either day I am fine.

LMK, why don't you select the time that you can make it, rather than we chose a time that you can't.
[snapback]160945[/snapback]
[/quote]
thank you!

Sat 10am-12noon
Sun 9am-12noon

venue: anywhere...
Old 08-19-2005, 12:25 AM
Members

i know how you feel, i had that feeling before....

my personal experience:

own a E60 520i for almost 2 years, and the new 730iL with GPS.
before the 730, i thought with a GPS on board will be nice on my 520i.
not true after driving my 730iL for a month now. i used it not even once to locate an address! because it does not include a HDB block or address.
i have GPS on my P910i Sony Ericsson mobile phone, i have GPS on pocket pc. those are more useful overseas as i carry them when i am travelling.
on my Pocket pc, it can even guide me turn by turn...
Imagine driving in Europe and USa from city to city without a GPS.

install only when you need it, but do not expect to locate a house unit or block with it.

now that my 520i is 2 year old, having upgraded my ICE with amps and speakers, love the sound, but just feel like doing something more to it.....

i had been playing with an apple powerbook for alomost a year, the urge of putting a computer into my car grew.....
i can play all my 10,000 MP3 with songs title on my idrive screen, play DVD, TV...surf the web....emails when park near macdonald or thru my 3G phone.....and GPS!

1. first, i have ordered a video convertor to plug into my car. ( meng, the guy gave me a newer model, it has 4 video input, i will show you if we meet)
2. i hv ordered a special power supply for the Macmini
3. a GPS software to run in it.

now to wait for the installation when i am free.....
[snapback]160925[/snapback]
I am surprised that the GPS on your 7 series does not come with house/Blk no. Saw in my 5 series car manual that house/blk number can be entered. By then, it could be the German version that allows that.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:27 AM
lmk
Contributors

Originally Posted by yslim26' date='Aug 19 2005, 04:25 PM
i know how you feel, i had that feeling before....

my personal experience:

own a E60 520i for almost 2 years, and the new 730iL with GPS.
before the 730, i thought with a GPS on board will be nice on my 520i.
not true after driving my 730iL for a month now. i used it not even once to locate an address! because it does not include a HDB block or address.
i have GPS on my P910i Sony Ericsson mobile phone, i have GPS on pocket pc. those are more useful overseas as i carry them when i am travelling.
on my Pocket pc, it can even guide me turn by turn...
Imagine driving in Europe and USa from city to city without a GPS.

install only when you need it, but do not expect to locate a house unit or block with it.

now that my 520i is 2 year old, having upgraded my ICE with amps and speakers, love the sound, but just feel like doing something more to it.....

i had been playing with an apple powerbook for alomost a year, the urge of putting a computer into my car grew.....
i can play all my 10,000 MP3 with songs title on my idrive screen, play DVD, TV...surf the web....emails when park near macdonald or thru my 3G phone.....and GPS!

1. first, i have ordered a video convertor to plug into my car. ( meng, the guy gave me a newer model, it has 4 video input, i will show you if we meet)
2. i hv ordered a special power supply for the Macmini
3. a GPS software to run in it.

now to wait for the installation when i am free.....
[snapback]160925[/snapback]
I am surprised that the GPS on your 7 series does not come with house/Blk no. Saw in my 5 series car manual that house/blk number can be entered. By then, it could be the German version that allows that.
[snapback]160966[/snapback]
the version here is a local production.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:43 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by yslim26' date='Aug 19 2005, 10:00 AM
Hi all, just registered in this forum after finding out that there is such a forum for E60 owners in Singapore.
[snapback]160913[/snapback]
Hi yslim. Welcome to the forum. I guarantee you will be well entertained here.

I used to own a 735i and a 735Li. The GPS, although was a neat gadget to show off, was not very useful for someone born and bred here. When I bought the E60, I was told that the GPS (with Malaysian map) would eventually be an option and that my ride would have the prep for it. Well, I was in for a surprise. Not only does the current GPS not have a Malaysian map (even if you want to purchase the disc), it would cost me almost 10K to install the GPS. I told them I'd rather get a new ride. The 750Li looks a very tempting prospect but for my driving style. I don't think I would do justice to a car of that class.

IMHO, watching DVD or VCD thru the i-drive screen is not very practical. Having TV reception is. No point wasting that kinda money.

Your timings are fine with me. How about the others? Any objections?
Old 08-19-2005, 08:05 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by eggz' date='Aug 18 2005, 09:00 PM
Any update on CIP 18.x? Olivin, did you get the update when you sent in your ride to PML? Will BFD be enabled now?

I'm thinking of sending in for CIP 18.x update to get back the eyebrows and hopfully BFD....

I'm ok for the meetup on either day....
[snapback]160930[/snapback]
Hi eggz & all

Yes the ride is updated with CIP 18.x. The "eyebrow" is there for those who had 17.x installed and missed the brow! What is more significant is the correction to the laggy throttle response that we had in 16.2 - the ride is more responsive now

I did not ask them to activate BFD, didn't think very much of this feature; but am sure that they would make it a standard feature within future sw upgrades soon.

Up goes the friction tape again :thumbsdown: They were reluctant initially but I told them that the squeaks are a letdown - more so even after I got new door seals just in April :thumbsdown: Now its quiet again - so for those who are contemplating changing to the 'yellow dot" new seals, don't waste your time.

I had issues with some dashboard parts that peeled like the car had sunburn Even those where the window buttons are were peeling and had those changed - come to think of it, BMW should know this problem already, question is are they doing something about it?

Got my Aircon compressor changed - it failed to cool in the initial 2 kms or so in the morning only! They admitted they had technical literature on this and indented a compressor couple of months ago.

Changed wing mirror motors which were either noisy or still winding after the mirrors folded.

Got squeaky seat lumbar side support lubricated.

Changed brake fluid - damn those pple there, my ride just had oil service not too long ago and they didn't do that - just wanna inconvenience customer only.

They claimed 18.x solved problems of steering not returning to position which is still present then - lets see if this round they are right - still mintoring - so far so good.

Collected ride after 6 days and when I reached home, the dash says SERVICE DUE!!!! A quick check saw Microfilter at -8000km, yes guys, MINUS 8000 km, way way overdue!!! Got ride in the next day and got them to program what was last know figures - and guess what, they entered figures based on percentage of what they perceived are right - the moral of the episode is: take down all the figures in your service menu before any sw upgrade, lest the wrong figures are input without your knowing!!!
Old 08-19-2005, 08:33 AM
Senior Members

I have no objection to the proposed time of GTG, but I can't make it in the morning You guys go ahead, take some photos and post on the forums ok?

Olivin, you just have that luck with PML
Old 08-19-2005, 09:13 AM
Senior Members

Tategoi; thats just not like you; to miss two GTGs back to back!!! I'll probably be at Russo's in the morning. Oh no!! Its gonna pour again!!

Anyway, just a short update. Okay; let you guys in on a little secret I've been holding onto for a while now. I'm no.1 in the queue for the M6. However, I have yet to decide if its really the car I want. Depending on pricing, I may eventually settle for the M5 if the M6 is priced too high. Whichever model I choose, it'll be black with silverstone leather. Don't really like the sapphire black so I'm trying my best to get them to do mine in either Jet Black or Black II, but again, all this depends on costs.

What I am really disappointed in is the fact that there is still no pricing, standard equipment list and options list yet. The first cars are supposed to be slated for Sep production and BMW Asia / PML haven't yet sat down to discuss the pricing?
Old 08-19-2005, 05:52 PM
Members

Dear all,

Thanks for the warm welcome and kind advises.

From what I gathered. PML's GPS is not advisable for the following reasons:
1) Too costly (almost S$10K) compared to portable types on PDAs.
2) No house/block numbers.
3) No Malaysian map.

Does anyone knows of any workshop that installs the GPS solution for E60s beside PML?

I'll be glad to attend the GTG meet. Do let me know once you guys have decided on the time and date.

Quick Reply: E60 for Singaporeans