DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY maintenance for the DPF...

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 10:29 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pszyman
This is to be added to 10 liter of fuel in the tank. They recommend using it each third time you tank the car. So far (140k) I don't have any DPF issues but I think of adding it once for a while just in case. Specially that I do manly short distances.
PSzyman, I don't understand this - you have to add it when you have 10 Liters of fuel in the tank? But then the DPF will not regenerate?

Or you have to buy let's say 3 bottles of 100 ml to add to a 30 Liter of fuel in the tank?
Old 11-12-2010, 11:02 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E61, 530D, 2005

Originally Posted by mmitev
PSzyman, I don't understand this - you have to add it when you have 10 Liters of fuel in the tank? But then the DPF will not regenerate?

Or you have to buy let's say 3 bottles of 100 ml to add to a 30 Liter of fuel in the tank?
What I was told the regeneration doesn't have to be taking place at the exact moment this stuff is added. Its supposed to provide some sort of coat over DPF. It helps to burn the soot later, when the regeneration process kicks on. Unfortunately I didn't find any comprehensive info on the web how all this process works. Have not tried this yet but will certainly do it soon. As said before, I don't have any problem with DPF thought. Its just preventive maintenance in my case..

P.S They had also the stuff for injecting straight int DPF. According to them it helps in 70% cases.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:35 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 530D E60

Originally Posted by San1
Hi Gav. I think this Tunap is just like Cataclean or BK44 stuff. Sorry I didn't get a chance to thank you for the posts. I would no way attempt a job like this., I'll probably get stuck trying to remove the under guard! You must of read on my last posts I poured a boiling kettle of water into the DPF and forced regeneration which worked at the time. It's been 5 weeks and still working fine with no errors. I checked the DDE today; the back pressure was 3.9 at idle, regeneration was requested but never carried out because I did not do any long runs however I took it for 30 min drive today. I'm not 100% sure if regeneration took place but the car moves like a rocket now. The question I have is what was the DPF material like when you removed it? Was it metal with a special coating of some sort? Perhaps over time the metal looses it ability to burn off the soot or the matrix gets full of ash.
Hi San1

The car is running great, although it did manage to blow off one of the boost hoses! I think it was my fault tho, i may not have clipped it fully home when i had removed it during thermostat replacement.
The dpf seemed to be made of a ceramic type substance which was coated with some sort of metal coating (maybe platinum like catalysts?)...i'm sure a google engineer will jump in a tell us, i can't be bothered searching
My one was deffo choked tho, you could see the soot packed in all the way down the 'veins'. I wish you all the luck with the various fixes in this thread, but for me, not having to worry about short runs/regens etc. is a weight lifted. The car giving more mpg and the astounding increase in performance is just the icing on the cake, go on, get it bypassed...and you too can lift the burden of the dreaded DPF!

LOL

P.S: Car is going in for its MOT soon, we'll see how it gets on in the smoke test!
Old 11-13-2010, 01:02 AM
Members

Originally Posted by gav900
P.S: Car is going in for its MOT soon, we'll see how it gets on in the smoke test!
Thanks Gav. Let us all know about the MOT. I may take the same route and have it deleted.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:58 AM
Members

San1,

As you have the same engine as i do, could you do me a favour and answer this question. When i replaced my air filter last month i checked the oil separator/breather and found nothing inside the 'box'. No loo roll or the later vortex type were present. I have asked on other forums and been told that BMW stopped fitting them altogether on our M57N2 engines? A vortex could be retrofitted, but would like to see whats in others cars before i do anything. REALOEM only shows the oil separator housing/box for M57N2, whereas older models also depict the vortex element.

Gav
Old 11-16-2010, 05:01 AM
Members

Originally Posted by gav900
San1,

As you have the same engine as i do, could you do me a favour and answer this question. When i replaced my air filter last month i checked the oil separator/breather and found nothing inside the 'box'. No loo roll or the later vortex type were present. I have asked on other forums and been told that BMW stopped fitting them altogether on our M57N2 engines? A vortex could be retrofitted, but would like to see whats in others cars before i do anything. REALOEM only shows the oil separator housing/box for M57N2, whereas older models also depict the vortex element.

Gav
Hi Gav. I checked mine a while ago. There was nothing inside, no loo roll or any filter. I called BMW and the chap there also checked one of the shelf and found nothing inside. Hope this helps. Have you removed your swirl flaps by anychance? I assume you know about this problem and the intake manifold gasket leaking. I blanked mine off.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:36 AM
Members

Thanks for the information San1. I blanked my swirl flaps off not long after i bought the car using the alloy blanks you can buy off ebay. Its a bit worrying that BMW just gave up on fitting an oil separator in the breather box tho, it must be causing a fair bit of oil in the intake system due to non air/oil separation. This excessive oil will not help dpf's which have to deal with the extra smoke from such oil contamination.
I've been toying with the idea of fitting a Provent 200 to the CCV system to see if that will help matters somewhat....have to find a suppler in the uk first tho...

Gav
Old 11-16-2010, 01:50 PM
Members

Good Stuff Anzafin! I've cleaned my DPF once, but the blockage has returned, so I don't think the regen is working. I do mostly motorway miles, so running temp is frequently high for long periods - don't understand why regen might not kick in?

Anyway, being a handy kind of guy, I can easily slice the top of the DPF can and remove the innards, then re-seam the can. Question is - what issues will I get with an empty can?

I've never seen any kind of warning light on to show the blockage problem - both times the 530d just went into Limp Mode. Will the engine management object to removing the core of the filter?

I think I must try it anyway, I know I can always get it remapped, if necessary, but I was just wondering if anyone on here has tried emptying the can??

Come on guys, let me know???
Old 11-16-2010, 04:31 PM
Members

Ahhh, i think you'll find the answers to your questions on pages 6 & 7 of this very thread
Old 01-19-2011, 12:28 AM
Members

Hello everybody,

I post here because, it's the best place for talking about particle filter in the web

i have a 325d from 03/2007 with 68 000km and this model of particle filter :

i have no message errors in DDE, no fault in my car, so diag is good.

-> but with DIS i have seen that the status in DDE, is always in "REGENERATION IN DDE REQUESTED"

So i decided to make a test with DIS, and the exhaust back pressure is good :

DIY maintenance for the DPF...-gt1-2011-01-19-back01.png
DIY maintenance for the DPF...-gt1-2011-01-19-back02.png
DIY maintenance for the DPF...-gt1-2011-01-19-back03.png

Normal, because no warning message.

I always do highway at 110 - 150 km/h, 70km.

So engine hot, exhaust temperature above 240degrés etc ... but i have the impression that the regeneration did not take place.

DIY maintenance for the DPF...-gt1-2011-01-19-08-50-43.png

DIY maintenance for the DPF...-gt1-2011-01-19-09-19-52.png

DIY maintenance for the DPF...-gt1-2011-01-19-09-26-57.png

So my question is :

How do you do for force the regeneration in DIS ? it's in the menu after the SAV fonction where you can test the exhaust back pressure ?
T think, that if i force a regeneration, my DDE status become normal.

Thanks

Quick Reply: DIY maintenance for the DPF...