DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY maintenance for the DPF...

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 06:02 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you easily hear when the regeneration is taking place?

The car is doing 180 km's / day on highways at 130-150 km/h, and the engine temperature is 90-92C.

I've heard from others, that you can hear when the regeneration is active, since the auto gearbox sometimes select a lower gear ? I've never noticed anything and the car runs smooth as silk, so I'm just wondering.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:16 AM
Members

Originally Posted by E60Sim
No it's very difficult. And since 4 - 5 months i have the impression that the regeneration did not take place correctly. It's confirmed by the DDE, wich is blocked in "regeneration requested" ...

My cosumption has raised a little, but it's winter and i have winter tires on my car so i don't know....

With the BVA, i have noticed that the auto gearbox sometimes select a lower gear, but only in city, when you are driving relativly slowly. (like she goes in Sport mode) On the road no impact.

This morning with my DIS connected, i have check the impact of the revs on the exhaust gaz température.

ex :

When you are at 110 km/h with cruise control :
1800 rpm : gaz temps approx 260 degrés.
2500 rpm : gaz temps approx 210 degrés.

Conclusion, when you are not full throttle, it's a bad idea to increase revs with a little "load".
the principe is simple : A diesel works with a lot of air, and a lot of rpm without charge gives the result of "few gasoil with a lot of air"

So it's decrease the exhaust gaz température.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:53 AM
Senior Members

OK - them I'm sure mine is working as it should, since it's mostly driven at 1800-1900 rpm's at 120-150 km/h
Old 01-19-2011, 09:30 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by thamomo007
Hello everybody,

I post here because, it's the best place for talking about particle filter in the web

i have a 325d from 03/2007 with 68 000km and this model of particle filter :

i have no message errors in DDE, no fault in my car, so diag is good.

-> but with DIS i have seen that the status in DDE, is always in "REGENERATION IN DDE REQUESTED"

So my question is :

How do you do for force the regeneration in DIS ? it's in the menu after the SAV fonction where you can test the exhaust back pressure ?
T think, that if i force a regeneration, my DDE status become normal.

Thanks
What I know about DIS, to me it looks like you have already "put on" the forced regeneration with the "regeneration request" option. I haven't found any other function to "force" the regeneration to happen. The request has been send to ECU and it should start when all the terms have been fulfilled. I know in some cases the regeneration hasn't still started though.

Originally Posted by E60Sim

The car is doing 180 km's / day on highways at 130-150 km/h, and the engine temperature is 90-92C.

I've heard from others, that you can hear when the regeneration is active, since the auto gearbox sometimes select a lower gear ? I've never noticed anything and the car runs smooth as silk, so I'm just wondering.
I can hear it easily, and smell. My DPF is located under the car, but I don't know if this has anything to do with it. I can also notice the increment of the coolant temps. They go up approx. 5-10°C (up to 88-93°C).

- Antti -
Old 01-19-2011, 09:57 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Anzafin
What I know about DIS, to me it looks like you have already "put on" the forced regeneration with the "regeneration request" option. I haven't found any other function to "force" the regeneration to happen. The request has been send to ECU and it should start when all the terms have been fulfilled. I know in some cases the regeneration hasn't still started though.

I can hear it easily, and smell. My DPF is located under the car, but I don't know if this has anything to do with it. I can also notice the increment of the coolant temps. They go up approx. 5-10°C (up to 88-93°C).

- Antti -

The matter is that i have do nothing with DIS. When i say that the DDE is in regeneratino request mode, it is because in the menu "control unit" you can see (see and not modifiy) the value of all capteurs and parameters.

But i am searching for a solution to force regeneration. I think this is the only method for the DDE be happy
Old 01-19-2011, 11:43 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by thamomo007
The matter is that i have do nothing with DIS. When i say that the DDE is in regeneratino request mode, it is because in the menu "control unit" you can see (see and not modifiy) the value of all capteurs and parameters.

But i am searching for a solution to force regeneration. I think this is the only method for the DDE be happy
... I can modify them, for example I can enable/disable the regeneration (I don't know what this does exactly, but I know this is not an answer for those who have removed the DPF and want to stop the car for trying to do the regeneration) and set a request for ECU to force on the regeneration when the terms are fulfilled next time when I go driving. And it works for me.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:48 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Anzafin
... I can modify them, for example I can enable/disable the regeneration (I don't know what this does exactly, but I know this is not an answer for those who have removed the DPF and want to stop the car for trying to do the regeneration) and set a request for ECU to force on the regeneration when the terms are fulfilled next time when I go driving. And it works for me.

It works for you in DIS ? or in another software ?

And when you modify the setting of the regeneration, it is in this menu or not ?

But my problem, is that all the terms are OK for a regeneration.
Maybe BMW has made an update about the gestion in the DDE ? Beacause a lot of people have problems with the particles filter ??

DIY maintenance for the DPF...-gt1-2011-01-19-09-19-52.png
Old 01-27-2011, 08:19 AM
Members

Unfortunately I am having problem with my DPF as well. iDrive is saying that dpf requires an inspection at BMW, I have not got a loss of power or going into limp mode, only that error. Been to indy garage to do force regen, he has taken some mesurements and back pressure values were almost twice higher then limits - could it be faulty sensor? We have forced car to do regeneretion and I have gone for a ride on the motorway keeping revs over 3k. I am a bit confused because in my opinion car didn't start regen mode at all. Could it be because of clogged dpf ? The other thing is that I am not sure what is operating temp for dpf regeneration ? Some people saying 75C, some 85C. I have noticed that me car's operating temp is only 83C - probably one of the thermostats is gone, will change egr stat this weekend, hope it will solve a problem. Can you guys tell me where the air charge temp sensor is located, I red that it can make problem with dpf going to regen mode. Thanks.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:41 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by lexwon
Unfortunately I am having problem with my DPF as well. iDrive is saying that dpf requires an inspection at BMW, I have not got a loss of power or going into limp mode, only that error. Been to indy garage to do force regen, he has taken some mesurements and back pressure values were almost twice higher then limits - could it be faulty sensor? We have forced car to do regeneretion and I have gone for a ride on the motorway keeping revs over 3k. I am a bit confused because in my opinion car didn't start regen mode at all. Could it be because of clogged dpf ? The other thing is that I am not sure what is operating temp for dpf regeneration ? Some people saying 75C, some 85C. I have noticed that me car's operating temp is only 83C - probably one of the thermostats is gone, will change egr stat this weekend, hope it will solve a problem. Can you guys tell me where the air charge temp sensor is located, I red that it can make problem with dpf going to regen mode. Thanks.
Hi.

- If the "forced" regeneration doesn't start, it may be because of a clogged DPF.
- The required coolant temp to enable the regeneration is 75°C and the exhaust gas must be at least 240°C
- If you refer to charged air temperature sensor, it's the part number 10 in a pic.

The sensor is very easy to change by yourself. You can find a part number here: RealOEM
Generally I believe that a clogged DPF can appear many different ways, like; idrive error without any symptoms, complete loss of power without any idrive message, slight loss of power without any messages etc.

- Antti -
Old 01-27-2011, 10:55 AM
Members

And sensor 10 do an error in the DDE modul if it failed or not ?

maybe we can check the value with DIS or another diag software in live ?

Quick Reply: DIY maintenance for the DPF...