DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY maintenance for the DPF...

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 09:00 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I am new in this forum, because I just bought 525d E61, 2007. Before I had 330d, 2000...so I'm familiar with BMW
Its is very useful forum, and I never seen so many good DIY topics...well done everyone!

I had also question about paticulate filter... it seems may car has newer one (catalytic converter and DPF in one piece). As my car is driven ca 150000 km and diagnostic tool showed, soon might be DPF full... I definetly try to clean it, but does anyone now, how might react calatyic converter element in this filter can, if I start washing it? Is it very gentle element or is it resistant to water and washing liquids?
Old 08-15-2010, 09:12 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Welcome to the forums!

I know people in Finland who have washed their DPF/catalytic converter filters without any issues.

- Antti -
Old 08-15-2010, 10:17 AM
Members

Thanks Antti, answer suits for me If the filter is full, I'll try to clean it. In Estona we do not have mach experience cleaning these filters.

Greetings to oversea!

Jarlo
Old 08-15-2010, 10:32 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Jarlo
Thanks Antti, answer suits for me If the filter is full, I'll try to clean it. In Estona we do not have mach experience cleaning these filters.

Greetings to oversea!

Jarlo

If you go and wash the filter, please report it here to help others!

- Antti -
Old 08-24-2010, 08:49 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 530D E60

Hi, Just joined the forum...very informative this DIY section ;-)

My 2005 530d (M57N2)auto has been showing a dpf error in idrive for a short while (possible to continue journey). I hooked up DIS and it came up with the same codes in the above picture. I have requested a forced regen in the DDE, but it just won't initialise. All requirements have been met (engine temp over 75, more than 10 litre of fuel in tank etc), went on long run but nada, status stays at 'regeneration not active'.
Could you tell me where it says 'regeneration will not occur with heavily clogged dpf ... even forced regeneration' ? I mean i don't want to go to all the hassle of removing and cleaning the dpf for it just to return to a clogged state a short while later. I have the catalyst/dpf all in one unit (euro 3). Has anyone cut theirs open and got rid of the guts? (with dpf delete in software?)

Great thread with good info guys, keep it up!

Gav
Old 08-24-2010, 09:21 AM
Contributors

Welcome to the forums Gav!

"Regeneration will not occur with heavily clogged dpf ... even forced regeneration" is based only on my own experience. There are few other members too whose car didn't start the forced regeneration when the DPF was very clogged. Maybe highly clogged DPF affects the temperature of the exhaust gas by decreasing it...? As you probably know, the exhaust gas before the DPF/Cat has to be 240°C along the 75°C coolant temp and 10 liter of fuel.

This sounds completely irrelevant, but I know one case, where the "charged air temperature sensor", part 10, was broken and the DPF was clogged. The forced regeneration didn't start at first, but when they changed the temp sensor, the regeneration started a while later. I'm not sure if the sensor got anything to do with it, but anyway.

My charged air temperature sensor was broken too, altough changing that didn't help my DPF problem. DIS didn't give any errors for the sensor, but it gave insane readings (80-120°C) while the pipe was touchable with hand. The new sensor was only 25? and can be changed by yourself, so maybe checking and possibly changing that could help you...?

I know that some people in Finland have carved their DPF honeycomb out from their DPF/Catalytic converters. I don't know about their reprogramming though.

- Antti -
Old 08-24-2010, 12:31 PM
Members

Thanks for the quick reply Antti.
I tried again today, hooked up laptop and requested a forced regen in the DDE (6.2). OK, coolant temp 80+/pre cat temp 250+ and dpf 300+. Went for a steady run at 60mph, no joy. I have not mentioned fuel level yet as i have another question, DIS says it needs 10+ liters of fuel to allow regen. If you check the instrument cluster (in body) it shows 2 level sensors...the tank is made up of 2 parts bridged at the middle/top. When i checked the cluster for fuel level it showed level sensor 1 with 16 ltr and sensor 2 with 0 ltr. I've spoke with a bmw technician on another forum who said it must have 'over' half a tank of fuel to enable regen...i'm wondering if it needs to see 10 ltrs + on the second level sensor?
He also said to check the back pressure sensor for correct operation. Going to check this (and your charge air temp sensor tip) before i remove the dpf.

Sorry for going on a bit...

Gav
Old 08-24-2010, 12:44 PM
Contributors

Can't tell about the fuel tank thing, sorry. Maybe you should fill her up and try again.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:56 PM
Members

Will try tomorrow again and report back any findings (if any!)

Cheers
Old 08-25-2010, 01:15 AM
Members

Ok, i plugged in laptop this morning without the car being started (stone cold), and the charge air pressure sensor is reading 79 deg C ! Looks like mine is faulty too then. Other readings are all plausable (pre cat 9 deg, dpf 8 deg, dpf back pressure 0.9mbar) with the engine switched off. I'll buy a new sensor and install it to see if it makes any difference (with over half full tank), before ripping out the dpf.

Onwards ->

Quick Reply: DIY maintenance for the DPF...