DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY maintenance for the DPF...

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 04:22 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks again Antti. This gives me an idea. If the engine mount is not too difficult to remove i will attempt it if the re-generation process does not work. At the moment I have INPA and DIS running but do not know how to force the re-generation, can anyone help?
Old 05-20-2010, 01:22 PM
Members

Got BMW DIS to enable regeneration, coolant temp went to a constant 85 degrees c. After about 10 minutes with the engine on, I drove off for 10 minutes and noticed a lot of white smoke coming out of the exhaust. Looks like it did re-generate. Now I can't get back into DIS options to check if the regeneration completed - it can't diagnose for a unknown reason. The error has come back with an extra - lambda sensor I think.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:17 AM
Members

Can you describe in detail the procedure of enabling the regeneration using DIS, as I have it running, but don't know how to do it myself.
My 09/2006 E60 530D is just about 200 000 km and I think it's about time to try to regenerate the DPF manually.
Thank you.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:01 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BusyBox
Can you describe in detail the procedure of enabling the regeneration using DIS, as I have it running, but don't know how to do it myself.
My 09/2006 E60 530D is just about 200 000 km and I think it's about time to try to regenerate the DPF manually.
Thank you.
See images. On mine, I read the error in DIS, enabled DPF regeneration and set up diagnose requests to display temp etc..

Re-generation will only take place when the coolant temp is above 75 degrees C and the exhaust is above 240 degrees C. On my car it doesn't go into regeneration mode. Could this be because the pressure is too high or it has become faulty. Please help I don't want to blow my CAT/DPF. Its £1400 new + fitting.
Attached Thumbnails DIY maintenance for the DPF...-bmw-dpf-error.gif   DIY maintenance for the DPF...-bmw-dpf1.gif   DIY maintenance for the DPF...-bmw-dpf-regen.gif  
Old 05-25-2010, 07:22 AM
Members

Whats the engine right support arm? Is this on the top or underneath the engine? I think the exhaust pressure is too high and don';t want to risk blowing it so I will have to try removeing and cleaning the DPF.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:02 PM
Members

Drove the car for 20 mins at 4k revs. Coolant temp went above 85 and exhaust over 240 degrees C. Regeneration went active for approx 1 minute. Now it doesn't activate. Any ideas? Must the error codes be cleared before it can take place again?
Old 05-26-2010, 06:14 AM
Members

Re-forced generation again. DDE status went to requested. Drove at high revs for 30 minutes at 60-70mph. Re-generation did not go to active. Exhaust temp went to atleast 400 degrees C. I have tried clearing the error codes, unplugging the exhaust back pressure sensor and it still does not re-generate. I have noticed that regeneration did take place 24064 meters (24miles) of driving ago, see image. The idrive message diesel particulate failure message comes up when the car sometimes slows down to speeds below 40mph.

Please, please, please help. Does the faulty glow plug have anything to do with it; i.e. does it heat up the fuel before combustion when it's trying to increase temperatures?

The screen shot shows readings after the long drive at stand still.
Attached Thumbnails DIY maintenance for the DPF...-bmw-dpf-status.jpg  
Old 05-26-2010, 01:15 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

The glow plugs have nothing to do with it.

Even the forced re-generation will not start if the DPF is too clogged. My best guess is that you have to clean the DPF and then clear the error codes.

- Antti -
Old 05-28-2010, 05:43 AM
Members

Attempted the removal today. Too difficult I gave up. Need to have a ramp to dismantle the exhaust. Also I do not know if any other bits need to be removed to get the DPF out once the V clamp is removed. Looks like the steering rack is very close.

My next option is to see if I can find any solution that can be inserted via the Lambda sensor or pressure tube directly into the DPF to dissolve and flush the crap. Tunap do such a kit but it costs over £400. Locals garages do not have a clue, one said it could be burnt out! I believe the regeneration kicks in and does not continue because the back pressure gets too high when the temperatures are correct.

If for example if temporally removed the pipe going to pressure sensor, blocked the end this would give a reading of approx 60mbar back pressure. Would the regeneration start? Or am I risking blowing the dam thing? What is the absolute pressure the DPF can handle at 3000 revs? I have seen it go maximum to 400mBar. Or am I going in the wrong direction and possibly another factor is stopping the regeneration.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:18 PM
Members

After several attempts to clear the codes by driving I have managed to clear one of the errors on the DPF. This is what I did:
Drove for 10 mins 0-40mph, 20 mins 40-70mph early morning in 4th gear quite hard. Idrive was still reporting an error. Parked up for 7 hours and then tried a different approach:
Cleared error codes and drove 5 mins 0-40mph, 30 mins 50-60mph in fifth gear without pushing the car. Idrive did not report any errors. Error 481A gone and the back pressure sensor ok. Also the ash mass in the particle filter 480A has reduced by 1g and the soot mass reduced by 12g. I wasn't expecting this.

Now that I have no 481a error I do not know how much the ash and soot mash has reduced by but I will try and see if I can run a diagnostic readouts.

Questions i have:

1. Are the error codes 480a for the first part of the DPF and the 481a the send part (cat) bearing in mind mine has a combined DPF/CAT ?
2. If the exhaust back pressure is too high this would prevent the regeneration going active?
3. I have found by driving in a higher gear (5th rather than 4th) increases exhaust temp (checked by diagnostic readouts). Should I stick to fifth or 4th?
4. The info on BMW DIS states I should drive for at least 20mins at 60km (40mph). Is this correct? I have read some forums that you really need to boot the car at 4k revs in 3rd/4th.
5. Should I use a can of Cataclean or BG44K cleaner to assist the removal of soot or would this just remove soot for the engine and clog the DPF even more?
6. Why does DIS give a indication the last regeneration was 24000m or a negative number when it hasn't gone active?
7. Should regeneration start as soon as the coolant and exhaust have reached the correct temperatures or does it usually start say after 20-30 mins of driving to allow the whole engine to get hot enough or the DDE to work out that its time now?
8. Is there anyway I can found out what factor is preventing the regeneration using DIS?

I wish I had some idea what the limits are so I can work towards clearing the DPF by a particular style of driving to engage the regeneration. Comparing to the first post, my ash mass is half, does this mean mine DPF has plenty of life left in it if it regenerates? I have not driven the car for more than a hour so my next step would be to do so slowly in fifth at 50mph. DPF error below for info.

480A 480A system of partical filter
Error counter: 1 Logistic counter: 40
Mileage 138208 km
Engine speed 1792.86 1/min
coolant temperature 84.26 °C
Ash mass in particle filter 27.97 g
Injection quantity 19.30 mg/Hub
Air mass per cylinder 485.22 mg/Hub
Smut mass in particle filter 52.95 g
exhaust volume flow in particle filter 242.41 m^3/h

Quick Reply: DIY maintenance for the DPF...