DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY maintenance for the DPF...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 11:12 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

The live value can be checked with the DIS. I just don't remeber how/where.
I had a faulty sensor, but it didn't show up anyhow (no errors). We just checked the values and they were 80-100°C, which can't be true if the aluminium tube feels cold. So I changed the sensor, bu it didn't solve my problem back then.

However, a BMW mechanic told be about a case, where the DPF didn't start the "forced" regeneration, but it did it eventually after he had changed the sensor.

- Antti -
Old 01-27-2011, 11:30 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for quick reply, you can check this sensor with multimeter. I am a bit worried right now because should have a dpf cleaner next week but that stuff requires forced regen. If I won't be able to put car in that mode it probably won't work Will check temp sensor on sat, fingers crossed.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:54 AM
Members

But i think that the temperature sensor has not a big role in the regeneration.

For the regeneration, the exhaust gaz must be at a very high temperature, so if the intake air is hot, it's better ... no ?
Old 01-30-2011, 09:50 AM
Members

Hi Guys, I have checked air temp sensor and is working fine, the only thing is that I have noticed some oil on it, is it normall ? I had a run on motorway the other day to check fuel consumption, with constant speed of 75-80 mph I was averaging 43 mpg. Did a brim to brim test as well and a result was 6.8 L/100km. I think is not that bad. Still not sure what is causing dpf fault and a car not going to regen mode...
Old 01-30-2011, 11:01 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by lexwon
Hi Guys, I have checked air temp sensor and is working fine, the only thing is that I have noticed some oil on it, is it normall ? I had a run on motorway the other day to check fuel consumption, with constant speed of 75-80 mph I was averaging 43 mpg. Did a brim to brim test as well and a result was 6.8 L/100km. I think is not that bad. Still not sure what is causing dpf fault and a car not going to regen mode...
I'm pretty sure your DPF is clogged. Like I said, I believe that a clogged DPF can become apparent many different ways.

- Antti -
Old 02-07-2011, 02:39 AM
Members

Hi Guys. Just to let you know it's been months since I had any problems after poring some boiling water into the DPF via the pressure sensor tube and letting the car run whilst parked on a hill. Car has been running perfect since. I was thinking how did this simple solution work. If you have ever taken a really hot frying pan to the sink and let a little water drop into it, it sort of bubbles the crap off before drying out and going crispy. I assume the same principle would have lifted burnt up crap off the filter and later burnt off better when regenerating. Fingers crossed. I have 48k miles left before DPF replacement is required.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:50 AM
Members

But there is a big risk that some water goes into the motor ... and he could be destroy...
Old 02-26-2011, 02:23 PM
Members

A little update to this thread, I have done a dpf clean today unfortunately it didn't work in 100% as my dpf was heavily clogged (probably will need another go). There is one thing confusing me a bit, when we checked back pressure after cleaning it was ok on idle a bit over at 2k and much higher on high revs. Why is it so ? Shouldn't it be above on idle as well ? Cheers.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:22 AM
Members

When the motor is on idle, you have a few gaz output, so the value of the backpressure is low, the phenomen amplify with more gaz i think.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:58 PM
Members

An update regarding my problem with dpf. I have managed to do some tests with DIS. These are print screens:

Exhaust temp sensors on idle:

Pic1

Same after 20 mins of driving

Pic2

Backpressure test:

Pic3

One more

Pic4

Any idea why car is not going into regen mode, could it be faulty exhaust temp sensor ?

I did a dpf clean a while ago but without going to regen mode it didn't work.

Quick Reply: DIY maintenance for the DPF...