DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY maintenance for the DPF...

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 01:29 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 30d, E39 35i
Model Year: 2004, 2001
Engine: M57n

Originally Posted by thamomo007
Do you have a look at the motor temperature to see if you are over 75 degrés Celsius ?
Hi sos for l8 reply, but yes temps are fine - will happily be around the 90ish mark (hidden menu) - Just went for another spin and stuck some FORTE dpf mix with a full tank to see if that helps. Prob a good idea given the short distances
Old 01-10-2013, 10:47 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi.
My car had the particle warning, so i carried on driving it, it now is very very slow, feels like it is running on 3 cylinders, i have a computer and the obd lead, is there a trick to get it going temporary? I can't see how to reset it.
I have some of the Diesel fluid on order so will put that in and run it up and down a fast road soon.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:10 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Hi Andy, sorry to hear that.

I guess you pretty much have your answers in this thread. I don't know what programs you have, but for example with an INPA you can clear the error codes. However, that doesn't solve the problem. The sluggishness can be purely mechanical due to a clogged DPF (no flow in the exhaust), or it can be a safety feature of the car and it has restricted the functioning of the turbo due to the clogged DPF.

If it is the situation that I had (restricted turbo), clearing the errors will make the car go faster, but only for couple of miles --> the car will restrict the turbo again.

Of course, all this can be caused by some entirely different problem than DPF (or is it clearly showing in the idrive that it is DPF?), like brittled vacuum tubes that control the turbo (unless you turbo is controlled electronically). Reading out the fault codes will help you forward.

- Antti -
Old 01-11-2013, 12:25 AM
New Members

I have the ScanMaster ELM only demo mode and many others, but only the Scanmaster seems to read it ok. I have the particulate diesel treatment on order, the engine does get up to 90 degs plus, so that is ok. The warning about the particulate filter is on the dash with every drive.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:26 AM
New Members

Where can I get the INPA ?
Old 01-11-2013, 02:24 PM
Members

Andy, not sure where you are, but I got the lot from Why should I purchase from BM Technic? Ğ BM Technic | BMW Diagnostic Cable | BMW Diagnostic Software
I am technical and had gone through the downloading etc but when I rebuilt my laptop this was so simple - the dvd is an intuitive step by step process but you need to buy their cable (if you value your time and more than £2 an hour just do it).

Dave
Old 01-14-2013, 12:05 AM
New Members

Defo says particle filter on the screen in the car. It is faster again, since I blasted it up the dual track for 20 miles, it is still a problem I know. The filter cleaning fluid I added has not done much, but we have not got through the whole tank of fuel yet, might go down the route of removing it and getting that company to take it away and blast is clean £200
Old 02-14-2013, 04:06 AM
New Members

My Ride: 525d msport pro nav

Hello all, I am a new member and to be honest I only really joined because of this thread! Its is brilliant. I have a 05 plate 525d and have the dpf service light on the Idrive.
Not having an endless pot of money means I like to get stuff done properly but cheap,I have researched for about 3 weeks but this thread made my mind up. I am gutting that SOB and welding it back up!!! My only problem is then the software issues I see Gav had a chap sort his out so my real question is who where and how much was the service he provided you Gav and any other things you think I need to know???
Brilliant thread guys I will obviously add to this with my story as it unfolds
Old 02-14-2013, 09:06 AM
New Members

My Ride: 525d msport pro nav

I am currently trying to identify which box is actually the dpf and which is the cat, the unit joined to the turbo has a part number 7792191A please note I haven't had chance to get under the car yet so I have just looked down through the drivers side of the engine bay. From what I can see under the car looks like part 3 in the bmw wiring diagram and the part coming off the turbo looks like part one. But in the parts identification they both come up as cat/dpf!???? please help
Old 02-14-2013, 10:28 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Welcome to the forums masterofthefens!

So you have a 525d, but that 05 plate doesn't say anything to me. When your car is manufactured?

- Antti -

Quick Reply: DIY maintenance for the DPF...