DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY maintenance for the DPF...

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 12:35 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by masterofthefens
I am currently trying to identify which box is actually the dpf and which is the cat, the unit joined to the turbo has a part number 7792191A please note I haven't had chance to get under the car yet so I have just looked down through the drivers side of the engine bay. From what I can see under the car looks like part 3 in the bmw wiring diagram and the part coming off the turbo looks like part one. But in the parts identification they both come up as cat/dpf!???? please help
Ok I looked a bit into it and it depends on the manufacturing date. If you have the combined DPF + catalytic converter, then you can find removing instructions here: https://5series.net/forums/e61-touri...3/#post1491139

- Antti -
Old 02-18-2013, 08:02 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525d msport pro nav

Hello Antti firstly a massive thankyou for this thread! Is the date of manufacture the same as Date of first registration if so that is 05/04/2005 if not can you please tell me how to find out, my apologise for being such a novice.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:00 AM
Members

So I have a M57N and the DPF ought to be easy to get out if the bolts are not seized up too tight. I was wondering if I could do as Anzafin and drill a hole through that bastard and get away with it? It's curently only listing 25KKM left so it'll go soon. However, what do I need to do after I drill it?
Is there coding that needs to be done, if so, what needs to be removed. Is there a tutorial somewhere?
Does it need to be remapped?

Cheers
Old 05-14-2013, 06:16 AM
Members

It's going to need a remap as the dpf will need to be coded out.
I'm now reading a bunch of posts about the turbo going tits up in just a few miles though alot of people have not bothered with configuring the turbo for the new flow and backpressure and their cars seem fine.
Confusing, alot of cr*p being posted by retailers as well, scare you into buying a pipe and software. sounds like a load of bollocks
Old 05-14-2013, 07:37 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 30d, E39 35i
Model Year: 2004, 2001
Engine: M57n

Anyone know what approx cost is just to code out? I'm already mapped
Old 05-14-2013, 10:37 PM
Members

200 euros for me and I've been mapped before. However, the guy hass to redo the map and put the car back on the bank to compensate for the change in exhaust flow.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:35 AM
Members

Originally Posted by drbytes
200 euros for me and I've been mapped before. However, the guy hass to redo the map and put the car back on the bank to compensate for the change in exhaust flow.
Feck, my original map cost me quite a bit, so guess i'm not gonna bother and just replace it like for like with stock

Picked up a low miler one with life and was going to gut that so my day of removal/fitting would be a quick one. Just got to keep the fingers crossed its the same one type as never under me car to check and looks like they did two models for the 2004 530d

Guessing no, but big bang theory aside...anyone run a gutted dpf on the motor without it being switched off with success or done it and actually had a big fail
Old 05-15-2013, 02:44 AM
Members

Listen, I'm not an expert on this, I've put in a good 8 hours reading posts the last few days and from what I gather : Replace dpf with tube is for people who like shiny crap and a project. Hole trough the DPF is supposedly better than stripping the ceramics completly (something to do with having the dpf work as expansion vessel for hot gas, made some sense) One big hole is better than several holes (sooth buildup could clogg up holes) . Hole should be diameter of piping. Remap for best practice (something with turbo over-spooling, a lot of contra dictionary stuff but my mapper knew that back flow blabla merits turbo VNT parameters adjustment). DPF needs to be de-activated in ECU. Dpf is a load of sh*te.
Good luck, I'm going to go forward with it this weekend.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:46 AM
Members

Also.. my ariginal map also costed me a ton but the mapper dude is happy to 'adjust' the mapping for this bargain price Too bad I can't code it out myself
Old 05-15-2013, 08:21 AM
Members

Originally Posted by drbytes
Listen, I'm not an expert on this, I've put in a good 8 hours reading posts the last few days and from what I gather : Replace dpf with tube is for people who like shiny crap and a project. Hole trough the DPF is supposedly better than stripping the ceramics completly (something to do with having the dpf work as expansion vessel for hot gas, made some sense) One big hole is better than several holes (sooth buildup could clogg up holes) . Hole should be diameter of piping. Remap for best practice (something with turbo over-spooling, a lot of contra dictionary stuff but my mapper knew that back flow blabla merits turbo VNT parameters adjustment). DPF needs to be de-activated in ECU. Dpf is a load of sh*te.
Good luck, I'm going to go forward with it this weekend.
Will give me original mapper a shout and see how much of the wallet he will want Thought drilling out was just less hassle way vs cutting & welding, but will query this one too as only want to ever touch the bloody thing one time

Quick Reply: DIY maintenance for the DPF...