DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY maintenance for the DPF...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 01:40 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

For those noticing there DPF is not regenerating, your thermostats are shot. The engine needs to be at it`s operating temp of 90c in order for the DPF regen to work. There`s two thermostats, the main one and the EGR thermostat.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:09 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tried it all, gave up, £500 lighter, but it is gone! Car is fine now.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:17 AM
New Members

My Ride: E61 525dA LCI 145kW, black sapphire mettalic, HUD, soft close, auto trunk lid, sport heated seats, navi pro, USB in, comfort access, basic audio(fitted sinus live tweeters, subwoofer in progress), CIC DVD in motion unblocked

Originally Posted by andy007
but I just can't get the old one off, can't even see it when under the car on ramps! Any more advice??
Hi, what production date is your car? If it is a newer one you probably have the DPF and CAT in one can, this way it is not visible from under the car. The damn thing is located right after turbo. This kind of DPF does not produce any sound during its regeneration, the only way you can recognize that it's regenerating is checking your instant consumption.
Read all your posts and your worries about the glow plugs were right. If one of them is faulty, the regeneration will not start.

Conditions that need to be met:
- coolant temperature >75°C
- exhaust gas temperature > 240°C
- no faulty glow plug (most probably no errors stored in DDE memory at all)
- steady ride (ideally driving on a cruise control)
- not too much clogged DPF
~ [optional] it's always better to check the functionality of the temperature sensors as well (charged air sensor, two exhaust sensors)

If you had a problem either with thermostats or glow plugs, your car stopped to perform the regeneration and that led to clogged DPF.

I would suggest to check the error memory from time to time just to avoid such bad things from happening. Bad luck that BMW engineers did not implement some kind of DPF regeneration status indicator into the cluster...

Last edited by PeqpeK; 08-07-2013 at 12:55 AM.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:50 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 525dA 2007 pre-LCI.
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by PeqpeK
Conditions that need to be met:
- no faulty glow plug (most probably no errors stored in DDE memory at all)
- steady ride
Where did you get this ?
glow plug have nothing to do with regeneration. If it wouldn't generate with a faulty glow plug many would have problems with the DFP.
On mine 4 glow plug where dead but it regenerated fine.
Errors stored in de DDE if they arn't relevant to the regeneration won't have an effect either, would be stupid if it was.
Steady ride hasn't got anything to do with it either.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:49 AM
New Members

My Ride: E61 525dA LCI 145kW, black sapphire mettalic, HUD, soft close, auto trunk lid, sport heated seats, navi pro, USB in, comfort access, basic audio(fitted sinus live tweeters, subwoofer in progress), CIC DVD in motion unblocked

Originally Posted by tom_il
Where did you get this ?
glow plug have nothing to do with regeneration. If it wouldn't generate with a faulty glow plug many would have problems with the DFP.
On mine 4 glow plug where dead but it regenerated fine.
Errors stored in de DDE if they arn't relevant to the regeneration won't have an effect either, would be stupid if it was.
Steady ride hasn't got anything to do with it either.
this is a generally known fact that the DPF regeneration will not start automatically when the glow plugs are faulty
also, if you'll be checking the regeneration status while driving you'll notice that when you try to accelerate the regeneration will stop for a moment until you return to a steady drive
Old 08-07-2013, 11:39 AM
Members

this is a generally known fact that the DPF regeneration will not start automatically when the glow plugs are faulty
also, if you'll be checking the regeneration status while driving you'll notice that when you try to accelerate the regeneration will stop for a moment until you return to a steady drive
It for sure isn't the case with our engines. Do you have any proof that it doesn't regenerate with a faulty glow plug ?
Its well know that the glow plug in our engines are fragile, in many cases you won't even notice one is faulty. In mine at least 4 where dead, the fifth one wasn't much better. Only 1 was OK. And still it started with -15°C . not very good but it did. In higher temperatures or with more still function I would have never found out, unless reading it out. Yet it still regenerated fine.
An engine not reaching operating temp will not regenerate that is very true but with faulty glow plug it DOES regenerate. So please give us proof.

How can you see it will stop when you accelerate ? Beside the noise and higher fuel consumption one doens't know its regenerating.
Don't believe this one bit, it regenerates by increasing the exhaust temp. This is a process you can't stop that quickly. yes the engine may run different when you accelerate but that doesn't mean it won't regenerate.
Ones the filter reaches +600°C the soot will burn off. Impos to stop this while accelerating. Also why would it do this ??

Last edited by tom_il; 08-07-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:14 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by tom_il
It for sure isn't the case with our engines. Do you have any proof that it doesn't regenerate with a faulty glow plug ?
Its well know that the glow plug in our engines are fragile, in many cases you won't even notice one is faulty. In mine at least 4 where dead, the fifth one wasn't much better. Only 1 was OK. And still it started with -15°C . not very good but it did. In higher temperatures or with more still function I would have never found out, unless reading it out. Yet it still regenerated fine.
An engine not reaching operating temp will not regenerate that is very true but with faulty glow plug it DOES regenerate. So please give us proof.

How can you see it will stop when you accelerate ? Beside the noise and higher fuel consumption one doens't know its regenerating.
Don't believe this one bit, it regenerates by increasing the exhaust temp. This is a process you can't stop that quickly. yes the engine may run different when you accelerate but that doesn't mean it won't regenerate.
Ones the filter reaches +600°C the soot will burn off. Impos to stop this while accelerating. Also why would it do this ??
no real proof about the glow plugs
but for the second case, just hook up a computer with DIS and watch the regeneration status
there is no noise on the newer DPFs (the ones with CAT in one piece) so it's really hard to recognize when is the regeneration active unless you have a diag hooked up
Old 08-08-2013, 06:03 AM
Members

no real proof about the glow plugs
but for the second case, just hook up a computer with DIS and watch the regeneration status
there is no noise on the newer DPFs (the ones with CAT in one piece) so it's really hard to recognize when is the regeneration active unless you have a diag hooked up
Not familiar with DIS, did you hook it up when you where driving ?.
Looked it up in WDS which mentions :
The best possible effect of the regeneration is achieved if the vehicle is operated for around 20 minutes at a speed of at least 60 kph that is as constant as possible as of the start of the regeneration. Experience has shown that non-urban driving achieves the best regeneration results.
So yeah you where right it works "best" when the speed is constant, which doens't mean it won't work when the speeds isn't constant just not as effective. Would it be because the temperature is difficult to control when then engine is accelerating ?
Nothing in there about the glow plugs though.

Last edited by tom_il; 08-08-2013 at 06:08 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:28 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

My ex-car did the regeneration just fine with one faulty glow plug.

- Antti -
Old 08-09-2013, 01:02 AM
New Members

are we talking about a requeted regeneration or automatic regeneration?

hmm, just read some threads about the glow plugs and some people say that it'd not start the regeneration if more than three of them are faulty
where's the true now

as higher exhaust temperatures are accomplished by post injection process, it is not possible for the electronics to predict the fuel amount if not driving steadily, therefore the regeneration is being paused when a significant change happens (driving with no gas applied, braking, significant acceleration required) and continues again during "more predictable" drive / constant speed

Quick Reply: DIY maintenance for the DPF...