DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY maintenance for the DPF...

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 02:57 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the great post! I'll clean mine tomorrow. My engine is a M57N, Production Code: NC91 ; Are there some parts to be changed due to the dismounting of the dpf?
About the swirl flaps - i think that there is a connection between then and this problem. I have asked the tech guy @ our local BMW dealership and he sad that they were decreasing bad emissions. I thaink that maybe at low rev the diesel fuel isn't completely burnt or something like this...
I still have mines, but since my car have about 180 000 km i think that i will remove them - what can i say, i prefer to clean my dpf now and then and not changing my engine
Thanks Anzafin!!!!!
Old 11-04-2010, 10:20 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by vgza_ti
Thanks for the great post! I'll clean mine tomorrow. My engine is a M57N, Production Code: NC91 ; Are there some parts to be changed due to the dismounting of the dpf?
About the swirl flaps - i think that there is a connection between then and this problem. I have asked the tech guy @ our local BMW dealership and he sad that they were decreasing bad emissions. I thaink that maybe at low rev the diesel fuel isn't completely burnt or something like this...
I still have mines, but since my car have about 180 000 km i think that i will remove them - what can i say, i prefer to clean my dpf now and then and not changing my engine
Thanks Anzafin!!!!!
Look above.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:20 AM
Members

I saw that you've changed the bolts. Is it really required to change them?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...78&hg=18&fg=10

This is mine, link is to realoem, i'm thinking about number five maybe?

Thanks!
Old 11-05-2010, 02:56 AM
Contributors

Yes, you need 4 pieces of that gasket, and definitely you will need new bolts.
They are rusted and covered with burned dirt. Some of them may break when you're opening them.

- Antti -
Old 11-06-2010, 03:32 AM
Members

So i tried to clean the damn filter, but it's like impossible to dismount it. On the little illustration that i've posted here, there are 2 bolts on the bottom of the filter (number 2 on my pic, only one of them is visible) and one @ the top of the f__king thing that isn't accessible(number one on my professional illustration ). How do i dismount it @ your opinion? Some ideas please?

Alsow, where can I find the aluminium rings cause they are like 15? @ my BMW dealer. The part number is 18307793771 ;

Thanks guys!
Attached Thumbnails DIY maintenance for the DPF...-212.jpg  
Old 11-06-2010, 04:58 AM
Contributors

You may have to drop the exhaust down to access that bolt. My DPF is different shape, so I don't have any experience with a 535d DPF.

- Antti -
Old 11-10-2010, 10:35 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E61, 530D, 2005

Today I was at my garage to change brake pads. I found they've Tunap products for DPF. I've purchased the following bottle 100ml for 14Euro:

This is to be added to 10 liter of fuel in the tank. They recommend using it each third time you tank the car. So far (140k) I don't have any DPF issues but I think of adding it once for a while just in case. Specially that I do manly short distances.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:00 AM
Contributors

Thank you for your input.

I contacted Tunap and asked about their products and they said I can't purchase their products anywhere in Finland, and that they sell their products only to companies, not to individuals :thumbsdown:.

I really would like to try their products.

- Antti -
Old 11-12-2010, 01:14 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 530D E60

Maybe pszyman could purchase some for forum members (DPF group buy?)
Old 11-12-2010, 02:32 PM
Members

Originally Posted by gav900
Maybe pszyman could purchase some for forum members (DPF group buy?)
Hi Gav. I think this Tunap is just like Cataclean or BK44 stuff. Sorry I didn't get a chance to thank you for the posts. I would no way attempt a job like this., I'll probably get stuck trying to remove the under guard! You must of read on my last posts I poured a boiling kettle of water into the DPF and forced regeneration which worked at the time. It's been 5 weeks and still working fine with no errors. I checked the DDE today; the back pressure was 3.9 at idle, regeneration was requested but never carried out because I did not do any long runs however I took it for 30 min drive today. I'm not 100% sure if regeneration took place but the car moves like a rocket now. The question I have is what was the DPF material like when you removed it? Was it metal with a special coating of some sort? Perhaps over time the metal looses it ability to burn off the soot or the matrix gets full of ash.

Quick Reply: DIY maintenance for the DPF...