DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY maintenance for the DPF...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 03:50 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
now is cca. 14 days from cleaning and car works nice no problems at all.
The cleaning is the right and good decision.

Bye,
Andrej
Old 10-26-2010, 04:41 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 E61 530D - Dynamic Drive - Active Front Steering Sport Seats - Voice Control - Head Up Display - Nav Pro - Bluetooth - Panoramic roof - Front/rear heated seats

Originally Posted by Anzafin
(...)
Effects of faults

If the swirl flaps stick in open position: Deterioration in exhaust gas characteristics in lower speed ranges otherwise no effect.
(...)
Hello Antti (& Eric),

It believe it is possible (not sure about plausible) that the deteriorated exhaust gasses could point to a less then optimum combustion of the diesel fuel, hence more fuel residues / soot could be produced by the engine and discarded into the exhaust channel...

Now I don't believe that it could have such a dramatic effect that flap removal would trigger DPF problems right away, as opted before on this page, but it could attribute to it I guess.

What do you think?
Old 10-26-2010, 10:14 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by Theo
Hello Antti (& Eric),

It believe it is possible (not sure about plausible) that the deteriorated exhaust gasses could point to a less then optimum combustion of the diesel fuel, hence more fuel residues / soot could be produced by the engine and discarded into the exhaust channel...

Now I don't believe that it could have such a dramatic effect that flap removal would trigger DPF problems right away, as opted before on this page, but it could attribute to it I guess.

What do you think?
I think you have a point, and there can be a connection between the removed swirl flaps and the clogged DPF...

On the other hand... few facts:
- My DPF problem appeared almost exactly one year later when I had removed my swirl flaps
- The BMW WDS says that the swirl flaps generally remain open when the intake air temperature < 15°C (removed = open)
- Our year's average temperature is +1°C (33,8°F), so my swirl flaps would have been generally opened anyway... I think

- Antti -
Old 10-26-2010, 12:36 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 E61 530D - Dynamic Drive - Active Front Steering Sport Seats - Voice Control - Head Up Display - Nav Pro - Bluetooth - Panoramic roof - Front/rear heated seats

Good point about your ambient temperatures up North, these should make the swirl flaps irrelevant in general. I guess, the only way you could properly test this is videotaping the movements of the actuator rod attachment while the car is driven...
Old 10-27-2010, 06:18 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Theo
Good point about your ambient temperatures up North, these should make the swirl flaps irrelevant in general. I guess, the only way you could properly test this is videotaping the movements of the actuator rod attachment while the car is driven...
You're right about that.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:59 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mmitev
BTW guys there is another chemical on the market for the DPF cleaning.

It comes from a German company, and the DPF does not need to be removed!!!
The chemical is sprayed through the hole for the temp sensor, to me it looks pretty clever. Won't be extremely cheap probably, but the labour to remove the filter isn't either. The link is in German, but you can see the pics at least.

http://www.tunap.com/de/news/dieselp...stauschen.html

If anyone has used this, please let us know how it worked and how much it cost..
I emailed the company and asked where I can purchase their products. They answered shortly that they sell their products to workshops only, not to individuals .

- Antti -
Old 10-28-2010, 08:58 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Anzafin
I emailed the company and asked where I can purchase their products. They answered shortly that they sell their products to workshops only, not to individuals .

- Antti -
Yes, I saw something like this when I browsed in the web back then. I presumed this limitation has been dropped since, but apparently not.

Well, what can I say - the market will definitely teach them otherwise. There are so many alternatives today that they will HAVE to drop this restriction and any exessive profit margin in order to achieve meaningful sales. :thumbsdown:
Old 10-30-2010, 11:30 AM
Members

Originally Posted by sott123
My DPF problems seemed to start after I removed the swirl flaps on my 05 530d did anybody else notice this or just coincidence.
Me too. After about 6 months I started getting the DPF error.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:08 AM
New Members

HI im new to this site, my DPF is almost completely blocked, I have a bmw 525d 2004, i was wondering how difficult it is to open the bolts on the filter and what tools are required as i cant find a garage willing to open it so i can it out myself. any and all help would be very much appreciated. id also like to thank Antii for this thread! youve really saved me from having to sell my car.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:03 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bmw-ammar
HI im new to this site, my DPF is almost completely blocked, I have a bmw 525d 2004, i was wondering how difficult it is to open the bolts on the filter and what tools are required as i cant find a garage willing to open it so i can it out myself. any and all help would be very much appreciated. id also like to thank Antii for this thread! youve really saved me from having to sell my car.
Welcome to the forums!

According the fact you have a 2004 car, your DPF should be located under the car, approximately between the front seats (part number 3).

The DPF has been attached to the exhaust with 8 bolts (4 on each end). Opening them is theoretically easy with a socket wrench and a fork spanner, but because the bolts are part of the exhaust system, they tend to be rusted and covered with burned dirt. That makes opening them difficult. So, you probably will need:
- socket wrench and different size sockets (usually the bolts are 12mm or 13mm)
- fork spanners
- locking pliers
- some rust severing spray
- new aluminium gaskets for both ends (part number 7)
- new bolts and nuts (part numbers 6 and 8)
- some strong cleaning detergent for washing the DPF
- power washer would help the washing

RealOEM - DPF parts

Please ask if you need anything more!

Quick Reply: DIY maintenance for the DPF...