DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY maintenance for the DPF...

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 10:38 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530D E60

Found the grinder
Was hoping just to cut off the end and the DPF would fall out...

No chance, had to slice the bugger open..

Catalyst part (which i'm leaving in)

The much hated DPF!

DELETED!

Now just weld it back together, and fit to car! (wish it was as quick as it sounds!)
Old 10-12-2010, 11:42 AM
Members

got my car diagnosed.. the stealer(dealer) claims that i have error messages related to exhaus backpressure sensor, and the readings were off the chart almost. 60ish mbar at idle. 160something at 2k, and 530?!mbar at cutoff. but the car still pulls strong, and will easily powerslide 3gear if pushed. Car has ESS stage2 tune, from their dyno. 288hp,660nm in engine. And i think that if the DPF was really THAT clogged up, i would feel a BIG decrease in power?
Old 10-12-2010, 12:04 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by gav900
Found the grinder
Was hoping just to cut off the end and the DPF would fall out...
Hahaha! Great job mate!

"Deleted"

- Antti -
Old 10-12-2010, 12:16 PM
Members

Yeah, i took great satisfaction smacking out that thing with the hammer (the element was very choked). I've half welded the can up and will finish it off tomorrow (more pics). I'll also need to get hold of the software guy....

Onward>>
Old 10-12-2010, 12:23 PM
Members

Originally Posted by hf-325d
got my car diagnosed.. the stealer(dealer) claims that i have error messages related to exhaus backpressure sensor, and the readings were off the chart almost. 60ish mbar at idle. 160something at 2k, and 530?!mbar at cutoff. but the car still pulls strong, and will easily powerslide 3gear if pushed. Car has ESS stage2 tune, from their dyno. 288hp,660nm in engine. And i think that if the DPF was really THAT clogged up, i would feel a BIG decrease in power?
It may be the the pressure differential sensor itself that is defective. Get the dealer to test it with a mityvac.
Thing is, continued running with a blocked DPF is a sure fire way to kill your turbo. Get a delete pipe or do what i'm doing, its the safest way.
I hope for around the same hp/nm as you once i'm all mapped up
Old 10-13-2010, 01:47 PM
Members

Ok, thats the can zipped up and ready to fit....

Now just to fit everything back, Software guy is coming on Saturday...so no rush.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:38 AM
Members

Well, remap guy has been and what can i say? WOW! 275Bhp and 640Nm of torque certainly has put a smile on my face. The car spools up alot faster and feels more 'alert' (like i've been feeding it red bull!). There is next to no smoke coming from the tailpipes as far as i could ascertain (i had only glances during hard acceleration!). There is only a slightly louder whistle coming from the turbo (which does not bother me in the slightest). Too early to comment on mpg, (i'll reset trip computer)...it was averaging 37-39mpg on stock setup.

Conclusion:

This little project of mine has demonstrated what can be achieved for not too much money. For someone who has this type of engine/dpf configuration (M57N2) and mechanic skills (or friendly mechanic), go for it.
For someone who does not want the bother of getting dirty hands and have a bit more money to spend, i'd recommend the solution these guys offer http://www.ecotune-scotland.co.uk/ .
Third option is pay a fortune for a replacement DPF unit and then worry about doing too many short journeys/cold weather journeys and having the idrive bitch you out about a blocked dpf.

Big thanks to Antti and San1 who help motivate me into doing something about this problem (rather than throwing a bunch of money at it). I hope this addition (to the original thread's cleaning solution) will help someone along the way.

Cheers

Gav

P.S: Hope Flat Eric has a big thumps up for this 'upgrade' :-)
Old 10-16-2010, 04:30 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by gav900
Well, remap guy has been and what can i say? WOW! 275Bhp and 640Nm of torque certainly has put a smile on my face. The car spools up alot faster and feels more 'alert' (like i've been feeding it red bull!). There is next to no smoke coming from the tailpipes as far as i could ascertain (i had only glances during hard acceleration!). There is only a slightly louder whistle coming from the turbo (which does not bother me in the slightest). Too early to comment on mpg, (i'll reset trip computer)...it was averaging 37-39mpg on stock setup.

Conclusion:

This little project of mine has demonstrated what can be achieved for not too much money. For someone who has this type of engine/dpf configuration (M57N2) and mechanic skills (or friendly mechanic), go for it.
For someone who does not want the bother of getting dirty hands and have a bit more money to spend, i'd recommend the solution these guys offer http://www.ecotune-scotland.co.uk/ .
Third option is pay a fortune for a replacement DPF unit and then worry about doing too many short journeys/cold weather journeys and having the idrive bitch you out about a blocked dpf.

Big thanks to Antti and San1 who help motivate me into doing something about this problem (rather than throwing a bunch of money at it). I hope this addition (to the original thread's cleaning solution) will help someone along the way.

Cheers

Gav

P.S: Hope Flat Eric has a big thumps up for this 'upgrade' :-)
He sure has!

Congrats man for pulling the trigger at last and for the remap too! Enjoy your NEW ride!

- Antti -
Old 10-16-2010, 07:29 AM
Members

HAHA, that picture has made my day

So has this one...

Thats a 60 mile run with the fuel consumption reset at the begining. Speed was fairly constant between 55 to 65mph. The highest i have seen it before the dpf delete/remap was 41mpg (and that was old man driving). Happy Chappy indeed!

One observation was some smoke at full throttle (kickdown), but nothing like as much as my old car (VW Passat TDI 130 Sport remapped to 170bhp)...which was not really bad considering.

Going to stick on DIS later to check all is well...

Old 10-16-2010, 12:55 PM
Members

Hello guys I have the same problem on my 530d 2006 the M57N2 engine we are driving on the right side. So the operation starts tomorrow in my friends car workshop the pictures follows.
The message from car on display is "particle filter failure" the message appears random but car is working OK, I think that the acceleration is a little slow.

Is necessary to reset computer after cleaning?

The Forum helped me allot thank you @Anzafin and others.

@gav900 where are you from? And where are you driving left or right side of the road

Bye,
Andrej

Quick Reply: DIY maintenance for the DPF...