DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY maintenance for the DPF...

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 08:44 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by detune
Hi Again,

Just picked up the car. So even after driving for 30km, the 480A and 481A codes are now cleared , but the 4530 code has either not cleared or has come back. I need to get the mechanic to check again which it is. I dont have a diagnostics setup myself, so I'm dependant on going back to my mechanic each time.

So, would this just be a case that at the time when the 4530 code was cleared, that the codes causing the error - 480/481 were still present and therefore when the car ran again, 4530 was re-triggered, and therefore if 4530 is cleared now that 480/481 is gone, then 4530 should not re-occur.

Has this happened to anyone else or does my logic make sense. I'll check the theory in a couple of days back at the mechanic.

All help appreciated...

Colum
Hi Colum.

I agree about what you said about the error codes and their reappearing. The 4530 is actually one kind of a limp mode. The usage of turbo is limited or fully denied. Hence the car won't rev easily.

If the dpf is truely clean and the error codes cleared, any error codes should not reappear. Ask your mechanic to clean the errors again and then send a regeneration request to the DDEand then go for a drive. Don't try to warm up the engine by revving high, but driving on high gear and low revs instead. This warms up the engine much better. Also check the coolant temperatures on the secret menu. When regeneration is on, the temps should be above 90 celsius degrees.

- Antti -
Old 11-25-2011, 07:11 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Anzafin
Hi Colum.

I agree about what you said about the error codes and their reappearing. The 4530 is actually one kind of a limp mode. The usage of turbo is limited or fully denied. Hence the car won't rev easily.

If the dpf is truely clean and the error codes cleared, any error codes should not reappear. Ask your mechanic to clean the errors again and then send a regeneration request to the DDEand then go for a drive. Don't try to warm up the engine by revving high, but driving on high gear and low revs instead. This warms up the engine much better. Also check the coolant temperatures on the secret menu. When regeneration is on, the temps should be above 90 celsius degrees.

- Antti -
Thanks Antti, spoke to the mechanic and he had cleared all codes a few times. The only code that comes back now is the 4530. He had also requested regeneration and taken the car for a long drive and that he felt regeneration had happened. Since then I had to do a very long trip and it's clearly in limp home mode - seems slightly better than before but still low power. Mechanic feels that the most likely now is that the Boost Pressure Sensor itself is faulty.
It's ?180 for the part, so I'm a bit cautious about replacing it without more evidence.

Is it not likely that the vacuum tube feeding the sensor is clogged and/or that the sensor is clogged up itself and that those steps would be more sensible first before changing the sensor. I'm also cautious since others have had the problem related to the DPF and that the 4530 is usually a secondary error.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Colum
Old 11-25-2011, 08:08 AM
Contributors

Hmmm... It could also be a faulty Charged Air Temperature Sensor. Take a look at post #46 in this thread.
The mentioned sensor is pretty cheap.

- Antti -
Old 12-09-2011, 01:58 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Anzafin
Hmmm... It could also be a faulty Charged Air Temperature Sensor. Take a look at post #46 in this thread.
The mentioned sensor is pretty cheap.

- Antti -

Back again for an update.

Looks like I might now have turbo problems.

Even with everything reset the 4530 Boost Pressure error is coming back on. This error means that the pressure measured at the Inlet manifold is consistently lower than expected.
I can now also see that there is no boost pressure getting to the inlet manifold. The pipe from the intercooler->turbo is not getting hard when revved.
We thought it might be that there was still some crap in the DPF or even the back boxes might be clogged, so that the turbo couldn't spin up. so, we disconnected the DPF and ran the car without them. Still no boost pressure coming from the turbo. I can see the solenoid moving the turbo vanes, allowing extra boost is moving.
We had already changed the Boost Pressure Sensor.

I can't find an easy way of getting at the turbo, so that I can see if it's seized, so it looks like we're going to have to get the turbo off and see what state it's in.

From a bit more reading, it turns out some people have had turbo failures if the car is run for a while with a clogged DPF. This seems to cause the turbo to coke up and also run a lot hotter, reducing the life of the turbo. Problem of course is that I wasn't getting any warnings that the DPF was blocked and mileage was just below 120k.

This is far more than I ever wanted to know about DPFs!

Old 12-09-2011, 05:35 AM
Members

Originally Posted by detune
Back again for an update.

Looks like I might now have turbo problems.

Even with everything reset the 4530 Boost Pressure error is coming back on. This error means that the pressure measured at the Inlet manifold is consistently lower than expected.
I can now also see that there is no boost pressure getting to the inlet manifold. The pipe from the intercooler->turbo is not getting hard when revved.
We thought it might be that there was still some crap in the DPF or even the back boxes might be clogged, so that the turbo couldn't spin up. so, we disconnected the DPF and ran the car without them. Still no boost pressure coming from the turbo. I can see the solenoid moving the turbo vanes, allowing extra boost is moving.
We had already changed the Boost Pressure Sensor.

I can't find an easy way of getting at the turbo, so that I can see if it's seized, so it looks like we're going to have to get the turbo off and see what state it's in.

From a bit more reading, it turns out some people have had turbo failures if the car is run for a while with a clogged DPF. This seems to cause the turbo to coke up and also run a lot hotter, reducing the life of the turbo. Problem of course is that I wasn't getting any warnings that the DPF was blocked and mileage was just below 120k.

This is far more than I ever wanted to know about DPFs!

Just one other comment while I think of it. I could never figure how exactly 4530 error code is a deliberate Limp Home mode. From what I can figure out, in normal operation
- The exhaust spins the turbo causing boost air pressure to the inlet manifold.
- The Boost Pressure sensor in the manifold signals to the ECU that there is increased airflow to the cylinders
- The ECU alters the timing and increases the fuel supply to the engine to match the airflow.

If the Pressure sensor is signalling that the airflow into the manifold is low (whether due to a sensor error, lost of boost somewhere or because the turbo isn't providing boost) the engine will be starved of air due to the problem and of fuel as the ECU won't increase the fuel flow.
So, to all intents and purposes, if the intake manifold pressure is measuring low, the power delivered is capped at a pretty low level. You can actually notice this when you're driving as even if you floor the accelerator, the fuel effeciency meter doesn't go down - so no extra fuel being supplied.

I'd be interested if any of this is off the mark.

Colum
Old 12-14-2011, 08:13 AM
New Members

Hi all
got the DPF warning message on my E61 LSI. Its been on for the last 3000 miles and i'm told the pressure in the exhaust manifold is high. I can't read the codes so it will have to go in at a cost of £48 (I'm skint already) to have them read..I expect I will end up having it removed but I guess I will have to have it checked first..will let you all know
Old 12-17-2011, 09:35 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW 525dA 2007 pre-LCI.
Model Year: 2007

I havn't found away to check the DPF with INPA. Is there a way to check it ? Like last regen and maybe other stuff.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:50 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tom_il
I havn't found away to check the DPF with INPA. Is there a way to check it ? Like last regen and maybe other stuff.
I don't think you can check DPF with INPA. You need to get DIS.

- Antti -
Old 12-17-2011, 04:32 PM
New Members

Hello! I do also have a service check code telling me to replace the DPF. I have a E61 525 d, and I have been driving almost 20000 km since this happened. The total milage to my car is 192000 km. My plan is to open the DPF and remove all inside it. Then I will welder a pipe staight through it to avoid turbulence in the exhaust flow. After completion of this work, do I need to reprogram the ECM or will it be ok after clearing the error codes? Do I risk anything with the engine running it with a modified DPF?
Old 12-18-2011, 10:22 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Husky
Hello! I do also have a service check code telling me to replace the DPF. I have a E61 525 d, and I have been driving almost 20000 km since this happened. The total milage to my car is 192000 km. My plan is to open the DPF and remove all inside it. Then I will welder a pipe staight through it to avoid turbulence in the exhaust flow. After completion of this work, do I need to reprogram the ECM or will it be ok after clearing the error codes? Do I risk anything with the engine running it with a modified DPF?
You need to get the car recoded.

- Antti -

Quick Reply: DIY maintenance for the DPF...