Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

This health care reform debate is crazy!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='975448' date='Aug 13 2009, 02:02 PM
How so? In your example if you list something for free (or low cost) there will be a run on it and I deny that is the case all the time. Want a better example?
When I was in high school a Ford dealer tried a new tactic, if you bought a Ford that month you got a brand new Yugo free. Sales dropped 30% for that time period. Go figure, perfect example of something for nothing and there wasn't the "run" you predict.

The whole idea that there will be a run on healthcare because it's free or low cost is stupid. Anyone out there anxious to go to the hospital? The doctor? The dentist? Seriously, what kind of moron is eager to need medical attention?
the ones that don't have medical insurance currently....I know you've seen the local news with the free 7 or 9 clinic set up @ The Forum in Inglewood. By day 3 are asking for more volunteers as the current staff cannot see everyone and they are almost a day behind for seeing the people that are outside....magnify that to a national scale....
Old 08-13-2009, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='975425' date='Aug 13 2009, 01:51 PM
And the downside is? Health insurance companies are festering puss wounds of society. Run by and employing exclusively vultures and the most grotesque and sadist among us.
As stated earlier by me....

Spend more time and effort regulating these "vultures" rather than trying to compete with them....
Old 08-13-2009, 01:09 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='975453' date='Aug 13 2009, 02:05 PM
the ones that don't have medical insurance currently....I know you've seen the local news with the free 7 or 9 clinic set up @ The Forum in Inglewood. By day 3 are asking for more volunteers as the current staff cannot see everyone and they are almost a day behind for seeing the people that are outside....magnify that to a national scale....

Granted, but those are people that haven't seen a doctor in YEARS. That would subside as people go once again about their normal lives. People that can't afford insurance now, typically are the ones that cannot afford too much time off work either. So the argument is pure stupidity. Maybe there WILL be an initial run as people try to get themselves checked out. After that? It will return to the norm as people cannot afford to miss that much time from work.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:10 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='975448' date='Aug 13 2009, 04:02 PM
How so? In your example if you list something for free (or low cost) there will be a run on it and I deny that is the case all the time. Want a better example?
When I was in high school a Ford dealer tried a new tactic, if you bought a Ford that month you got a brand new Yugo free. Sales dropped 30% for that time period. Go figure, perfect example of something for nothing and there wasn't the "run" you predict.

The whole idea that there will be a run on healthcare because it's free or low cost is stupid. Anyone out there anxious to go to the hospital? The doctor? Seriously, what kind of moron is eager to need medical attention?
Nothing is ever free PJ. Ford wasn't giving away Yugo's for free. They weren't discounting the prices on their vehicles to make up the cost of the Yugo. Are you really this naive? Not to mention Yugo's were huge piles of dung.

The good or service offered for free or at a subsidized cost has to be something people want or need. If there is no want or need for a good/service, no rise in demand will occur no matter how low the price/free.

Please, do some research regarding free market supply side economics.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:11 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='975458' date='Aug 13 2009, 02:08 PM
As stated earlier by me....

Spend more time and effort regulating these "vultures" rather than trying to compete with them....

Better regulation would help - that way I could honestly tell my doctor about my previous 3 knee surgeries or my 2 gunshot wounds, because if I tell him nowI am disqualified since I have pre-existing conditions. Your insurance companies are absurd
Old 08-13-2009, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='975463' date='Aug 13 2009, 02:11 PM
Better regulation would help - that way I could honestly tell my doctor about my previous 3 knee surgeries or my 2 gunshot wounds, because if I tell him nowI am disqualified since I have pre-existing conditions. Your insurance companies are absurd
Right, imagine if everyone was trying to get ALL of their conditions treated under a public system....the wait lists would go on forever.....

you think HMO's are absurd now....hopefully none of us would have to experience a public health care system....

I'll take "my" insurance company thank you....
Old 08-13-2009, 01:35 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='975489' date='Aug 13 2009, 02:33 PM
Right, imagine if everyone was trying to get ALL of their conditions treated under a public system....the wait lists would go on forever.....

you think HMO's are absurd now....hopefully none of us would have to experience a public health care system....

I would too if I could get my knee looked at. They are thieves and look for ANY reason not to cover a papercut much less anything that might actually cost them a dime.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:38 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='975489' date='Aug 13 2009, 02:33 PM

So in other words they would go ahead and take care of themselves for once and take care of everything they can't take care of because of lack of insurance or the fact that their current insurance won't cover anything they really need? I'm ok with that
Old 08-13-2009, 01:43 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='975489
I would too if I could get my knee looked at. They are thieves and look for ANY reason not to cover a papercut much less anything that might actually cost them a dime.

Not to threadjack here, but on the topic of insurance companies, I am a former insurance broker. And being a former insurance broker, I can relate to both of your comments on insurance companies (and their reluctance to pay claims). My former clients were the large oil drillers in Alaska and Texas, and I had insured them with AIG....do you know how hard it is to get AIG to ever pay any claims?????? It's ridiculous!!!!!! That being said, what "bakes my noodle" now is that they were the recipients of federal bailouts!!!!!!!!!!!! It's just nauseating...
Old 08-13-2009, 01:46 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by theonlychoman' post='975505' date='Aug 13 2009, 02:43 PM
Not to threadjack here, but on the topic of insurance companies, I am a former insurance broker. And being a former insurance broker, I can relate to both of your comments on insurance companies (and their reluctance to pay claims). My former clients were the large oil drillers in Alaska and Texas, and I had insured them with AIG....do you know how hard it is to get AIG to ever pay any claims?????? It's ridiculous!!!!!! That being said, what "bakes my noodle" now is that they were the recipients of federal bailouts!!!!!!!!!!!! It's just nauseating...
Ah, so YOU are the vulture, the sadist, the slimeball I mentioned earlier j/k

Quick Reply: This health care reform debate is crazy!