Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

This health care reform debate is crazy!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 02:51 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DRANGED' post='975579' date='Aug 13 2009, 03:44 PM
pj, does that mean your father may also be your uncle?
Old 08-13-2009, 02:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by DRANGED' post='975361' date='Aug 13 2009, 12:43 PM
You are wrong, people will run to use health care that they previously could not afford. People won't run out and break a leg, but they will go in for minor issues they could not afford previously. Port wine stains, mole removal, erectile disfunction(C's Bimmer), hair loss, you name it.

Insurance companies are forced to cover pretty much everything, things that most of will never use. This is part of the high cost. We are not allowed to shop individual insurance policies across state lines, this is part of the high cost. Malpractice suits are a part of high cost. Illegal immigrants are part of the high cost. Ignorant people going to the hospital for a cold are part of the high cost. Non-paying customers are part of the high cost.

We should be allowed to buy insurance ala carte. Pay for what we need, not for what we don't.

Competition is not the problem, there are over 380 different health insurance companies in the US.

You know who keeps us from these cheaper alternatives? It's not the insurance companies, it is GOV'T.
Your issue, it appears, is more with the lobbyists who are helping insurers preserve the status quo. The status quo is more profitable and more lucrative than the alternative. I submit that it is insurers, and significant lobbying dollars, that is actually limiting choice. Much more so than government.

As for people getting care that they previously did not? That's what it's all about. If there is a medical need underlying any of the symptoms you highlighted, it is entirely legitimate that there is a public option to treat it. It is also entirely legitimate that such matters are properly prioritized and do not take precedence over more medically pressing matters (and precedence should be governed by the opinion of a physician, not an insurer). Finally, it is also entirely legitimate that there are other options, such as private insurance, to enable those that can and want to pay extra to get better and/or quicker care.

And, in essence, that's really what the current proposals are trying to achieve. If you choose to believe otherwise, then none of us here have any business or much interest in trying to convince you otherwise.

To also respond to a later post about your perception that people aren't able to refute your argument: it's close to impossible to refute opinion, guesses, rhetoric and conjecture. Because that's really what you're posting...
Old 08-13-2009, 02:58 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

^^^ Damn, very eloquent, wish I could sum up my position like that - too bad I am such a sarcastic a$$
Old 08-13-2009, 03:52 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by DRANGED' post='975151
not racist, bigoted maybe but c'mon let a person talk, censorship is un american, and this and thats racist is besides the point! which she clearly has one. statement are said to provoke passion in a response which she clearly has, lighten up! do you get all fired up when you watch carlos mencia as well? and yes im just defending her cuz she's "just a girl!"
like i said maybe its because where im from that i dont see the big deal in colored. What is the difference between calling someone colored or black? I dont really care anymore about defending what i said. I said what i said and mean it. The point of my post wasn't to be racist. It was to show that BLACK people came out in record numbers to vote for a black man.

Its proven that there were more first time black voters than any other demographic. John had posted that 96% of black people voted for Obama. Would a record number of black people came out to vote for two white people running for president? I dont think so, and if you think that is racist then i dont care.

Originally Posted by DRANGED' post='975288
If it is an emergency it is treated as "in network" as you have no choice. It's quite an easy argument with insurance companies. If it's not an emergency, then feel free to call a relative or a friend to drive you where you need to go. I've had someone come from Canada to the US for an open heart surgery because they were on a waiting list there. I've also had someone who broke their leg in New Orleans (while helping with the cleanup) choose to have their co-workers drive them to Indiana for the surgery. It's a CHOICE.
who really wants to make their own choices these days?? clearly pjinca would rather be spoon fed. I personally like to be able to chose what i want

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='975428' date='Aug 13 2009, 03:53 PM
Funny herpes and HIV are free and i'm in no rush to get them. Even cancer is free and amazingly I have so far been able to resist the temptation. Interesting
I wasnt able to read this thread since last night but it was nice coming home and reading how bad Dranged dismantled your post. After reading a lot of your post it honestly makes me want

Whats funny is you talk about being american first. Yet you make jokes about whitey's, and you bash the president of our country. Then you said the VA wont cover your knee's because it wasnt job related. Instead of waiting for a government handout why dont you sell that 30-50 thousand dollar car?? Your health should come before your car, shouldnt it? So you can live in the nice house, drive the nice car, have expensive things, but cant pay to get your knee's checked out or fixed. Sounds about right....you make the bed you sleep in every night with the choices YOU make!
Old 08-13-2009, 03:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Originally Posted by swajames' post='975593
If you choose to believe otherwise, then none of us here have any business or much interest in trying to convince you otherwise.

To also respond to a later post about your perception that people aren't able to refute your argument: it's close to impossible to refute opinion, guesses, rhetoric and conjecture. Because that's really what you're posting...
Dissappointing...you're better than that.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:00 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

This is where we stood in 2000. Unfortunately the WHO no longer compiles these, but my feeling is that we haven't changed much. Are we really better off at number 37?

http://www.photius.com/rankings/healthranks.html
Old 08-13-2009, 04:01 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Originally Posted by DRANGED' post='975288' date='Aug 13 2009, 01:36 PM
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." Gerald Ford, Address to a Joint Session of Congress August 12, 1974
BWAHAHAHAHAHA! Really!?! A Gerald Ford quote!?! The greatest president no one ever elected! Good one John!
Old 08-13-2009, 04:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by DRANGED' post='975669' date='Aug 13 2009, 04:55 PM
Dissappointing...you're better than that.
I actually meant it a little differently than you took it... It wasn't really a dig (OK - it was a little bit). Much of what we're all posting falls into this category (obviously none of mine ), and many of the arguments on both sides of the fence are impossible to counter as they're not really based on anything other than rhetoric... I will, however, add that I believe that the level of misinformation, obfuscation and sleight of hand is much greater on the no-change side of the fence than the on pro-change side. I'll post a suitably egregious example a little later tonight.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:10 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Alpine White Girl' post='975667' date='Aug 13 2009, 04:52 PM
I wasnt able to read this thread since last night but it was nice coming home and reading how bad Dranged dismantled your post. After reading a lot of your post it honestly makes me want

Whats funny is you talk about being american first. Yet you make jokes about whitey's, and you bash the president of our country. Then you said the VA wont cover your knee's because it wasnt job related. Instead of waiting for a government handout why dont you sell that 30-50 thousand dollar car?? Your health should come before your car, shouldnt it? So you can live in the nice house, drive the nice car, have expensive things, but cant pay to get your knee's checked out or fixed. Sounds about right....you make the bed you sleep in every night with the choices YOU make!

All I have left to say to you is read my new SIG made it just for the small minded, enjoy and 100 points if you can figure out who wrote it - good luck Warning may require reading
Old 08-13-2009, 09:24 PM
Contributors

TO Swajames:
I read this today and found it appropriate

The hardest part about gaining any new idea is sweeping out the
false idea occupying that niche. As long as that niche is occupied,
evidence and proof and logical demonstration get nowhere.
But once the niche is emptied of the wrong idea that has been
filling it - once you can honestly say, I don't know,
then it becomes possible to get at the truth.

Quick Reply: This health care reform debate is crazy!