Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

This health care reform debate is crazy!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 11:39 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by DRANGED' post='975351' date='Aug 13 2009, 12:34 PM
I wrote this in February which applies to this debate.

Your point breaks down when you realize people will not "run out" and break a leg or get cancer because healthcare is free now - would they? C'mon, let's be real. Insurance companies are there to make profits, not care for the insured. Having a national health insurance or subsidized insurance will not create a "run" on hospitals. I have health insurance and I don't go running to the hospital every time I need to blow my nose.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='975356' date='Aug 13 2009, 12:39 PM
Your point breaks down when you realize people will not "run out" and break a leg or get cancer because healthcare is free now - would they? C'mon, let's be real. Insurance companies are there to make profits, not care for the insured. Having a national health insurance or subsidized insurance will not create a "run" on hospitals. I have health insurance and I don't go running to the hospital every time I need to blow my nose.
That is the actual issue here, time and effort should be spent regulating these insurance companies, not competing with them...
Old 08-13-2009, 11:43 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='975356' date='Aug 13 2009, 02:39 PM
It is market based fact and holds true whether it is an iPod or health care. You are wrong, people will run to use health care that they previously could not afford. People won't run out and break a leg, but they will go in for minor issues they could not afford previously. Port wine stains, mole removal, erectile disfunction(C's Bimmer), hair loss, you name it.

Insurance companies are forced to cover pretty much everything, things that most of will never use. This is part of the high cost. We are not allowed to shop individual insurance policies across state lines, this is part of the high cost. Malpractice suits are a part of high cost. Illegal immigrants are part of the high cost. Ignorant people going to the hospital for a cold are part of the high cost. Non-paying customers are part of the high cost.

We should be allowed to buy insurance ala carte. Pay for what we need, not for what we don't.

Competition is not the problem, there are over 380 different health insurance companies in the US.

You know who keeps us from these cheaper alternatives? It's not the insurance companies, it is GOV'T.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:48 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='975314' date='Aug 13 2009, 02:00 PM
1) After an accident and you're critical - does your medical coverage really pop into your head? If so you are truly an extraordinary individual, most of us just hope we are okay.

2) Again, if you're semi-conscious at best are you really asking lucid questions? Seriously.
1) I was responding to your quote about a broken leg. You don't receive your medical bills for quite a while after that. If you were truly critical, I would hope that you would have family or friends that would look after your matters. Seriously.

2) See above response. You're not on pain medicines forever and at some point you have to either look at it yourself, have a friend or family member look at it or if things are really that bad, you would need to hire a lawyer (perhaps nationalized legal care) to look into the matters for you. Seriously.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

Originally Posted by DRANGED' post='975351' date='Aug 13 2009, 03:34 PM
I wrote this in February which applies to this debate.

[/b]

Steve, you can cut and paste your reply too.

I argued a case for privatizing government in a high school class many years ago no one agreed with me then. You are totally right, if you take everything away from the government the country would be much more efficiently run, they said I was crazy to suggest that defense also be privatized using private security companies like Blackwater. We have a budget of $515.4 billion on defense..that could be slimmed down going private? More money goes into social security $644billion just think what we would save if we scrap that ponzi scheme? $408billion medicare, $360billion Unemployment/Welfare if you too sick or lazy to work then why do we have to support you?

I used to have free healthcare and went to the doctors every day..it was free after all. Now I have to pay for it myself I save my $10 copay and don't go. I am much healthier survival of the fittest I say! If I am sick or hungry I am sure I can knock on my neighbours door and get by supporting my wife and child.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:08 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by DRANGED' post='975361' date='Aug 13 2009, 12:43 PM
It is market based fact and holds true whether it is an iPod or health care. You are wrong, people will run to use health care that they previously could not afford. People won't run out and break a leg, but they will go in for minor issues they could not afford previously. Port wine stains, mole removal, erectile disfunction(C's Bimmer), hair loss, you name it.

Insurance companies are forced to cover pretty much everything, things that most of will never use. This is part of the high cost. We are not allowed to shop individual insurance policies across state lines, this is part of the high cost. Malpractice suits are a part of high cost. Illegal immigrants are part of the high cost. Ignorant people going to the hospital for a cold are part of the high cost. Non-paying customers are part of the high cost.

1)We should be allowed to buy insurance ala carte. Pay for what we need, not for what we don't.

2)Competition is not the problem, there are over 380 different health insurance companies in the US.

3)You know who keeps us from these cheaper alternatives? It's not the insurance companies, it is GOV'T.
I doubt there will be the ridiculous "run" on healthcare that you foresee. Remember it would still involve time off work and a lot of workers don;t get paid if they don't work - McD's doesn't offer "sick days".
How, exactly, are insurance companies "forced" to cover things? Have you SEEN the movie "Sicko"? Case after case of valid claims denied by insurers because they cost too much - result? Dead people.
Uninsured people don't go to the hospital for a cold as you say. It would cost too much so there goes that argument.

BTW, points 1, 2, and 3 I can completely agree with.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

Originally Posted by DRANGED' post='975361' date='Aug 13 2009, 03:43 PM

We should be allowed to buy insurance ala carte. Pay for what we need, not for what we don't.

Competition is not the problem, there are over 380 different health insurance companies in the US.

You know who keeps us from these cheaper alternatives? It's not the insurance companies, it is GOV'T.
We should really scrap insurance companies because by nature you pay for something you don't need and they only pay for the things you do need...sometimes after you met your deductible. where is the sense in that? We should just pay for treatment when we need it, it would save us all a lot of money! I always thought bald, red, flaccid mole covered immigrants (C's Bimmer) were the source of this countries problems too.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:15 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Brit_in_NJ' post='975386' date='Aug 13 2009, 01:12 PM
We should really scrap insurance companies because by nature you pay for something you don't need and they only pay for the things you do need...sometimes after you met your deductible. where is the sense in that? We should just pay for treatment when we need it, it would save us all a lot of money! I always thought bald, red, flaccid mole covered immigrants (C's Bimmer) were the source of this countries problems too.

+1 - besides ala carte makes sense only for insurance companies. Do you really think you'll be able to add cancer treatment coverage AFTER you get diagnosed? Be realistic please.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by Brit_in_NJ' post='975386' date='Aug 13 2009, 01:12 PM

Gotta love how even after your deductible is met some/most plans won't cover you @ 100%...so you are still going to come out of pocket some
Old 08-13-2009, 12:19 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='975391' date='Aug 13 2009, 04:17 PM
Gott love how even after your deductible is met some/most plans won't cover you @ 100%...so you are still going to come out of pocket some
Of course otherwise everyone would be out getting kidney transplants!

Quick Reply: This health care reform debate is crazy!