Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Formula 1, 2009

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 03:19 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d

Some interesting bits from the news today. Got me laughing.

(1) Button hits back in slanging match: You're all just jealous, says championship leader

"Button's car is aided and abetted by a controversial aerodynamic device called a double-diffuser, which was declared legal by Max Mosley's FIA this week, to the grave irritation of rivals such as Briatore's Renault team.

'The drivers in my teams have been and are world champions,' said Briatore. 'Now the championship is being fought between a driver who is a pensioner (Button's team-mate Rubens Barrichello, 36) and another one who is a good guy but a paracarro.

'He could be world champion in two or three races. All this makes no sense. People want the fight at the top to be among the best drivers in the world.'
"

Button got wind of what was said so he retorts,....
"Unless he is at the front of F1, I am sure he thinks that any team being there hurts the credibility of F1,' he said. 'He also needs to remember that he tried to employ me for this season, so . . "

hmm... so Briatore tried to hire the services of Jenson. The plot thickens...

And thats not all what hillarious Briatore has to say. He goes on with this...

"Button?s boss Ross Brawn was less than impressed by Briatore?s outburst in which he called for Brawn to step down as head of the team association?s technical working group. ?Any Chinese taxi driver could do a better job,? said Briatore of Brawn.
Brawn joked: ?He needs a change of medication. He?s very flamboyant.
? "

These guys are truly funny. Its what keeps F1 exciting these days. That bit can be found in the linky for the next story.

(2) Hamilton left isolated as his team turn against him in China

"Ryan was undoubtedly culpable as the only McLaren man other than Hamilton to enter
the stewards? room to spin the deceit. But the fact that the multimillionaire sought to
shift the majority of the blame on to the sporting director hastened his departure.

One team insider, who wished to remain anonymous, said: ?They have all known Davey for many, many years and are upset he became the fall guy. Then there was the talk of Lewis threatening to quit the team. That did not go down well because
we feel he should have shown more support after the work we?ve done for him. The guys put all the hours in and don?t get anywhere near the rewards he does.?
"

All I can say here is, Good luck to you Lewis. You gonna need it after your dad and max gang'd up on Ron. When one plays with fire, make sure it isn't near petrol. Ron Dennins is a tanker full of high Octane Petrol also known as high RON.
Don't be too surprised if your car is gonna be unexplainable slower all year, all contract. Give Alain Prost a call lewis, he will set you straight on that count. hahaha

And it just isn't going too good for lewis for some time now. Guess when it rains, it pours..!
(3) Lewis Hamilton wrote off my car'; Formula One star smashes into mother and child in crash

"Hamilton, 24, pulled out in front of Anouk Murat at a junction near his home in Switzerland, but failed to hit the brakes in time."
Now that would be right.

BTW, when will FIA ban Anthony Hamilton from F1? I can't wait for that day to happen.

cheers
Old 04-18-2009, 06:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

What year was the most boring in year in F1...?
Old 04-18-2009, 10:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by pigapumbu' post='851345' date='Apr 18 2009, 02:49 PM
Lewis: Over-hyped. Known to make common mistakes. Here is another example.. Linky..
I don't know what Lewis has done to incur your wrath, pigapumbu, (I'm guessing he must either owe you money or he must have nailed your sister ), but I'll leave you with three thoughts:

Lewis dominated GP2, where equipment is identical. The best drivers will always win in that series. The man has talent by the bucketload.

Schumacher and Senna were also drivers who were prone to making what appear to be the odd elementary mistakes. Every great driver has flaws, and so it is with Lewis.

Anyone who could and should have won the F1 World Championship in their rookie season, then does win it in the their second can not possibly be described as overhyped.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:31 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 523i M-Sport

And we're off!

Wet start was relatively un-interesting, besides Alonso coming in.
Buemi seems to be the man on the move. Massa has done well too
Old 04-18-2009, 11:34 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

F1 really begins to suck... Cars are horrible, it rains every race + there isn't Schumi anymore.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Great drive from Vettel, and credit to Webber for a great performance too. Hard to believe that BMW actually let Vettel go. Tough to read too much into this race as the safety car start meant that RBR got away with their gamble on fuel loads. A bit less rain, no safety car at the beginning of the race and it would probably have taken a different turn. Still - an awesome drive from Vettel and great work from RBR - so every race so far in 2009 has been won by a British F1 team.

and with that - it's 2am here and I'm off to bed!
Old 04-19-2009, 02:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

Originally Posted by AlexFW' post='851568' date='Apr 19 2009, 10:34 AM
F1 really begins to suck... Cars are horrible, it rains every race + there isn't Schumi anymore.
And thank god that there is no more Spoonface!

I just hope that he isn't around the next time that SF needs some tactical advice about R?ikk?nen's tire choice...
Old 04-19-2009, 02:57 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Patrick E61' post='851604' date='Apr 19 2009, 01:53 PM

I just hope that he isn't around the next time that SF needs some tactical advice about R?ikk?nen's tire choice...
Spoonface
Old 04-19-2009, 07:07 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='851533
Agreed. Just look how horrible the front has become. damn I feel like slapping the designers. Then again I guess FIA rules to blame for this one.

No shumi = No more brilliant driving skill and excitement. FIA threw every thing at him and the team to prevent him running away with titles but yet that German took it all like a man (no whinging like most british drivers tend to do) and just got on with the job. He made it 7 titles. Frankly it could have been 9 if not for the year he broke his legs at slivertone and the year they banned tyre changes despite everyone driver saying it was dangerous. FIA did it knowing it would hurt MS's great drives between pit stops and it worked. Alonso took it with this good Renault with the mass damper system.

Of course those who go around with covers over their eyes will always say, MS was never that good. Yeah well if they want to back bull-a-cart drivers, then so be it. What I saw was a legend in the making and he was just too good. I am almost certain I will never ever see the dominance that michael, Ross Brawn, Jean Todt, and the engineer (forget his name now) were as a team.

cheers

Originally Posted by Patrick E61' post='851604' date='Apr 19 2009, 11:53 AM

Am I missing something here? I thought Ferrari made it clear the call to put wet tyres on a dry track had nothing to do with spoonface. Can you please post a URL that proves it was MS who made the wrong call? Thanks. I just need to update what I have been reading so far.

Who do you think has a bigger spoonface? Jay Leno or Michael?

cheers
Old 04-19-2009, 07:11 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='851605' date='Apr 19 2009, 11:57 AM
Spoonface
too right. One needs that spoonface to put all the Trophies on. The rest don't need a spoonface cause they won't have that many tropies.

cheers

Quick Reply: Formula 1, 2009