Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Formula 1, 2009

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009 | 12:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='850493' date='Apr 17 2009, 10:21 PM
Michael Schumacher too... and he is with Ferrari...
He will not be with the team for a while, the "winner" of the Black Imola Weekend.

We are now talking about the same ground force that did fail Aryton Senna
in the San Marino GP the first of May in 1994.

I will never ever forget that day.

Also the Austrian Roland Ratzenberger did die the day before.

Well, the same ground force is back. Luckily the cars are so much safer now.

The double rear diffusers make this ground sucking effect when the front is properly designed.
Old 04-17-2009 | 05:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d

Originally Posted by swajames' post='850405' date='Apr 17 2009, 06:28 PM
Not really. There's never really been a sensible suggestion, backed with tangible evidence, that the FIA ever had real trouble dealing with the team's own ECU. The ECU rule change was specifically about eliminating traction control and was part of the first wave of cost reduction. Standard ECU's make that much easier to police, but that doesn't mean the FIA couldn't have handled it.

To your second point, the ECU contract was tendered and it was open to anyone to bid. There were relatively few bidders, and McLaren's bid was actually in conjunction with Microsoft.

And in case you missed it, what you describe as "crappy Merc technology" has been massively more successful than anything BMW have been able to develop in recent years. But more to the point, the F1 ECU is produced by McLaren Electronic Systems (a different entity to the McLaren racing organization) and Microsoft - it has nothing to do with Mercedes...
You may be right there,... but for me, anything with McLaren I will NEVER trust. I have a dislike for Ron Dennis and boy am I glad he plans to leave F1. Also hope FIA take action on mclaren for lying if they can prove it.

cheers
Old 04-17-2009 | 05:14 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='850555' date='Apr 17 2009, 09:31 PM
He will not be with the team for a while, the "winner" of the Black Imola Weekend.

We are now talking about the same ground force that did fail Aryton Senna
in the San Marino GP the first of May in 1994.

I will never ever forget that day.

Also the Austrian Roland Ratzenberger did die the day before.

Well, the same ground force is back. Luckily the cars are so much safer now.

The double rear diffusers make this ground sucking effect when the front is properly designed.
why was it that Airton went off to the wall that day? I forget what the cause of it was now. Been a long time and too many court cases. Was it car failure or driver?

cheers
Old 04-17-2009 | 07:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by pigapumbu' post='850736' date='Apr 17 2009, 06:14 PM
why was it that Airton went off to the wall that day? I forget what the cause of it was now. Been a long time and too many court cases. Was it car failure or driver?

cheers
I don't believe it was never really decided - some theories point to car failure, some to driver error. It does appear that the accident was made much worse that it should have been by some aspects of the car's design, but it also appears that Senna himself may have just pushed a little too hard on the corner to cause the initial incident. I don't think we'll ever know for sure. He truly was a great driver though - he's sorely missed.
Old 04-17-2009 | 11:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Vettel on pole! Word is he's very light on fuel, as he only did a few laps in the whole qualifying session. Still - great result for RBR.

1 S. Vettel Red Bull 1:36.184
2 F. Alonso Renault 1:36.381
3 M. Webber Red Bull 1:36.466
4 R. Barrichello Brawn GP 1:36.493
5 J. Button Brawn GP 1:36.532
6 J. Trulli Toyota 1:36.835
7 N. Rosberg Williams 1:37.397
8 K. R?ikk?nen Ferrari 1:38.089
9 L. Hamilton McLaren 1:38.595
10 S. Buemi Scuderia Toro Rosso 1:39.321
11 N. Heidfeld BMW 1:35.975
12 H. Kovalainen McLaren 1:36.032
13 F. Massa Ferrari 1:36.033
14 T. Glock Toyota 1:36.066
15 K. Nakajima Williams 1:36.193
16 S. Bourdais Scuderia Toro Rosso 1:36.906
17 N. Piquet jr. Renault 1:36.908
18 R. Kubica BMW 1:36.966
19 A. Sutil Force India F1 1:36.669
20 G. Fisichella Force India F1 1:37.672
Old 04-18-2009 | 09:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Young Vettel will be a F1 Champion some of these days.

He's a heck of an driver and has the right attitude.

Red Bull's Head Designer is also a wizzard.

Adrian Newey has designed winning cars for many F1
teams, if I don't recall wrong at least for Williams and McLaren.

He had also important roles in the US Indy/Cart series success with March,
and with Al Unser's and Bobby Rahal's teams.
Old 04-18-2009 | 09:45 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='850850
Young Vettel will be a F1 Champion some of these days.

He's a heck of an driver and has the right attitude.

Red Bull's Head Designer is also a wizzard.

Adrian Newey has designed winning cars for many F1
teams, if I don't recall wrong at least for Williams and McLaren.

He had also important roles in the US Indy/Cart series success with March,
and with Al Unser's and Bobby Rahal's teams.
+ 1million times.

Been watching the guy and ever since the last race for 2008 when vettel drove briliantly in the wet, I knew this guy has what it takes to succeed in F1. Its now just a question on car reliability and if redbull can carry the pace through out the year.

After schumacher left the scene, I found it hard to support any driver out there. First choice was kimi but his laid back attitide kinda pissed me off. No doubt he has skill and pace but seeing him fall down due to being pissed drunk just doesnt do it for me. Went with Massa but he lacks something. Can't put my finger on it but say he is given the best car, best team, he still will struggle to win the championship. Perhaps its his lack of overriding some team decisions.

Now vettel makes me want to watch F1 all over again but in torro rosso, he wasnt ever going to win much. Maybe I am biased to ferrari but boy would I like to see Vettel in the ferrari team BUT ONLY if the team has sorted out its team issues. Ferrari seem to be going back to the days when Prost was racing with them and we all know how bad they were back then.

One thing though, I don't rate Adrian newey much. I can see where you are coming from and I accept why you rate the guy.

cheers
Old 04-18-2009 | 09:58 AM
Contributors

Kimi will come back, he's faster than Massa all the time.

Ferrari is just so lost right now, but Kimi is fast.

Also note that Vettel's and Alsonso's cars where very light
for the race tomorrow:

Sebastien Vettel Red Bull 644 kg
Fernando Alonso Renault 637
Mark Webber Red Bull 646,5
Rubens Barrichello Brawn GP 661
Jenson Button Brawn GP 659
Jarno Trulli Toyota 664,5
Nico Rosberg Williams 650,5
Kimi R?ikk?nen Ferrari 673,5
Lewis Hamilton McLaren 679

2,5 kg is about one lap!

Note that Kimi's and Lewis's cars heavy weigh, some 20 kg's mean a lot in lap times.
Also Brawn cars has more gasoline on, than the three first cars.

I guess Alonso will start with the softer compound tire and do a 10 lap stint, the Red
Bull's will do the same and come in after 11 to 12 laps.

Kimi and Lewis will start with the harder compound and be much longer out on the track...

Hope you all will wake up early an see the race live!
For sure I will!
Old 04-18-2009 | 11:11 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 E61 530i M-Sport Carbon Black, black Dakota leather, advantage, comfort and M-Sport package, comfort seats, sport automatic transmission, alarm system, rails, folding and auto dimming mirrors, PDC, xenons, hi-fi loudspeaker system, USB interface, detachable towbar, navi pro, bluetooth phone prep. light package.

Originally Posted by pigapumbu' post='851203' date='Apr 18 2009, 12:45 PM
Been watching the guy and ever since the last race for 2008 when vettel drove briliantly in the wet, I knew this guy has what it takes to succeed in F1. Its now just a question on car reliability and if redbull can carry the pace through out the year.

After schumacher left the scene, I found it hard to support any driver out there. First choice was kimi but his laid back attitide kinda pissed me off. No doubt he has skill and pace but seeing him fall down due to being pissed drunk just doesnt do it for me. Went with Massa but he lacks something. Can't put my finger on it but say he is given the best car, best team, he still will struggle to win the championship. Perhaps its his lack of overriding some team decisions.

Now vettel makes me want to watch F1 all over again but in torro rosso, he wasnt ever going to win much. Maybe I am biased to ferrari but boy would I like to see Vettel in the ferrari team BUT ONLY if the team has sorted out its team issues. Ferrari seem to be going back to the days when Prost was racing with them and we all know how bad they were back then.

One thing though, I don't rate Adrian newey much. I can see where you are coming from and I accept why you rate the guy.

cheers
+10000000000000000.........

As a long time Ferrari fan, I feel exactly the same way. Would be nice to see Vettel in a Ferrari, the sooner the better ! Don't know about Kimi, I still rate him among the best and most talented drivers and would love to see him in the top flight again. But things hasn't really been going his way since he won the title, lack of motivation maybe? Hope the turning point will come in tomorrow's race though.........
Old 04-18-2009 | 02:49 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='851211
+10000000000000000.........

As a long time Ferrari fan, I feel exactly the same way. Would be nice to see Vettel in a Ferrari, the sooner the better ! Don't know about Kimi, I still rate him among the best and most talented drivers and would love to see him in the top flight again. But things hasn't really been going his way since he won the title, lack of motivation maybe? Hope the turning point will come in tomorrow's race though.........
Kimi has the Raw speed. Speed is natural for him and its such a waste he hasn't capitalised on that. I could have see him as a truly great F1 driver. Without a doubt he is faster than Massa although last year I feel Massa pushed for the win the most. massa comes across as a really nice man but in F1, he has to be more aggressive.

I doubt this race will be a turning point for kimi only because the probem lies with ferrari. What kimi does best is, show up for a race, team must provide a pretty good machine. Then he goes out and does what he is paid for and that means driving fast.

If the team provides a car that isnt working well (one needs to feel comfortable with the car) and planning badly, then like in malaysia kimi will park his car, get out, take a shower, and leave. got to love the shot of him eating his icecream in shorts while the other "fools" were still in their race suit, in the wet, waiting for a signal to race or not to race. hahaha..

cheers.

PS: If Kimi had the determination that MS had, today we all would be calling Kimi the legend and not MS. Thats how I rate Kimi as a talented driver born with the raw speed in him. Just want a waste of talent thanks to the laid-back, vodka drinking attitude.

Lewis: Over-hyped. Known to make common mistakes. Here is another example.. Linky..

Massa: Really trying hard without being born with the gift of raw speed.

Mark Webber: Vettel is going to wipe that big grin off his face soon.

Jenson: What can I say. best car and he can win a few. Equal car, and he can still win one or two. Car just below the top, and we hardly see him on the podium. I don't see true racing commitment in him other than the money and playboy lifestyle that lures him into the sport. He is a slow driver and his old boss kinda backs what I feel. Linky..

Kubica: beginning to sound like a broken record. BORING!!!

Heikki: Does this guy actually realise he is in F1 and its about winning?

Barrichello: God will someone retire the old man. Its beginning to be a joke. Yeah we all like Senna but just cause Barri is from brazil, thats not a good reason to keep this chap in F1 now. Hopeless in ferrari and still the same. Give that seat to some young guy with fire in his blood to win a championship.

Alonso: Can drive, got skill, fiery passion to win at any cost... all gone thanks to Ron Dennis. That said, I hope renault are able to bring it all back although I think he needs to move to a team where he can feel renewed again. Try Ferrari Alonso.

Any Japanese driver in F1: A Waste of time!

The Juniors: Why do the dads insist in pushing their kids into the same sport? What a wet towel both rosberg and piquet turned out to be.

Anyway all that is just a light hearted take based on my opinion so please, its not meant to offend but to just laugh it off.

cheers

Quick Reply: Formula 1, 2009