Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Formula 1, 2009

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 10:38 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by MiamiPhill' post='849877' date='Apr 17 2009, 04:11 AM
It appears that McLaren is running a NEW diffuser on LH's car...?
...and now most wins not most points wins the championship?
I thought that was just an idea/proposal, but did not get accepted by the drivers / teams, and was therefore not brought into the rule book. Has that now been changed?
Old 04-17-2009, 01:20 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='850080' date='Apr 17 2009, 09:38 AM
I thought that was just an idea/proposal, but did not get accepted by the drivers / teams, and was therefore not brought into the rule book. Has that now been changed?
Good question. This resembles so much the Government in my country, or lack of... Here's a new regulation! NO dump that, here's the new one! NO that's not good either, we'll raise the taxes! No forget that....the first one is better. Make up your mind already !!!
Old 04-17-2009, 01:45 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='849240

This "sport" has a strong technical side.
And therefore there need to be rules, that need to be interpreted... not by lawyers, by engineers who build the cars.
Small or not... The rules were written down and given to every team... if one team is reading and interpreting them correctly and the others aren't... it's not FIA's fault, no the fault of those that did an outstanding job in the intrpretion of the rules. If this leads to an advantage of .5 seconds per lap or even more... fine! Every team had the same chance. It would be unfair to tell three teams: yes, you are right, but we can't allow it, because the other teams did not understand the rules this way. Three teams have done their job. The others failed. FIA did everything correctly. In this sport a HUGE part is rules and interpretion of them. If you don't like it, don't watch it.
+1

Originally Posted by swajames' post='849853' date='Apr 16 2009, 06:51 PM
The FIA has a highly technical background... And all teams use the same ECU.

Honda's decision was based on anticipated future spend, not historic spend. Honda did F1 a great service by making sure the team survived, hence the sale for a nominal value. Frankly, anyone with even the most limited intelligence knows that the 2009 car is largely a Honda design. So let me ask you a question. Who is more "stupid" (to use your phrase) - Honda, or the teams like Ferrari, McLaren and BMW who sunk millions into building uncompetitive cars?
+1

Once again. Ice and James are spot on with their analysis. Nothing else really to be said.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:44 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC' post='850163' date='Apr 17 2009, 12:45 PM
+1

+1

+1

Once again. Ice and James are spot on with their analysis. Nothing else really to be said.
I appreciate your generous input Jet
Old 04-17-2009, 03:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d

Originally Posted by swajames' post='849853
It appears that McLaren is running a NEW diffuser on LH's car...?
...and now most wins not most points wins the championship?
Not surprised at all. Right from the first race, I told my friend that Mclaren would get this deffuser out quick. For me, its a case of I scratch your back, you scratch mine when needed. Brawn is a british guy and he must be good buddies with Ron da Don (dennis) to wrangle out a deal for the merc engines without much financial backing.

Now that the brawn cars have an ace rear diffuser, did you really think Mclaren were going to design it from scratch? I doubt it,.. honestly I do.

cheers
Old 04-17-2009, 04:08 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by pigapumbu' post='850196
"So let me ask you a question. Who is more "stupid" (to use your phrase) - Honda, or the teams like Ferrari, McLaren and BMW who sunk millions into building uncompetitive cars?". Is that a trick question? Perhaps you didn't get my point. What I was trying to say,.. after spending so much into trying to win F1, this year could have been their year but some plonker decided not to put another cent into trying. If the wright brothers gave up after their first attempt of flying, where do you think we would have got in aviation today? Thats my angle on it.
So, it would have been OK that some workers lose their jobs because Honda had allready spend too much money and desperately wants to TRY competing in a championship?

And if the Wright brothers would have given up, someone else wold have tried... some when later.

Originally Posted by pigapumbu' post='850196' date='Apr 17 2009, 01:54 PM
Now that the brawn cars have an ace rear diffuser, did you really think Mclaren were going to design it from scratch? I doubt it,.. honestly I do.
ALL teams that currently don't have it needs to start from scratch!!!
That's a fact!

What they currently do is just a first aid!
They will be happy and very lucky if it works.
But for something like this there need to be huge changes on the cars design, such as the undercarriage.

We WILL see the new diffusors on almost all teams the next race, not just McLaren. But it will just be a first aid and they can be happy if it works.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by pigapumbu' post='850196' date='Apr 17 2009, 04:54 AM
Using the same ECU. Yes but do you know why? That cause FIA had no clue how to really know what each team was doing with their ECU. So that negates your theory about FIA being VERY technical. I say FIA have more technical abilities than me but hey, I am just and ordinary bloke. Sadly FIA had no clue about ECU decoding and also some other aspect of F1 cars. This is why they decided to use a single ECU which again in my opinion is WRONG.

Should your lovely BMW car be stuck to use a MERC ECU because government says so? I don't think it will benefit our great BMW engines to use crappy Merc technology. That said FIA made ANOTHER blunder when they decided to would provide the ECU. It should have been from a company NOT involved in F1. But thats just my opinion.
Not really. There's never really been a sensible suggestion, backed with tangible evidence, that the FIA ever had real trouble dealing with the team's own ECU. The ECU rule change was specifically about eliminating traction control and was part of the first wave of cost reduction. Standard ECU's make that much easier to police, but that doesn't mean the FIA couldn't have handled it.

To your second point, the ECU contract was tendered and it was open to anyone to bid. There were relatively few bidders, and McLaren's bid was actually in conjunction with Microsoft.

And in case you missed it, what you describe as "crappy Merc technology" has been massively more successful than anything BMW have been able to develop in recent years. But more to the point, the F1 ECU is produced by McLaren Electronic Systems (a different entity to the McLaren racing organization) and Microsoft - it has nothing to do with Mercedes...
Old 04-17-2009, 10:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

The ECU is a McLaren one and they don't have a new double diffuser on their cars this weekend.

The KERS is not a wise move neither, only BMW says it has anything to do with standard cars.

This F1 year shows clearly that the old age pensioner (E and M) should go to h*ll.

A fact is also that Brawns best friend is a high official within the FIA.

Too much politics!
Old 04-17-2009, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='850439' date='Apr 17 2009, 08:15 PM

Too much politics!
Michael Schumacher too... and he is with Ferrari...
Old 04-17-2009, 12:22 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='850439' date='Apr 17 2009, 09:15 PM
The ECU is a McLaren one and they don't have a new double diffuser on their cars this weekend.

The KERS is not a wise move neither, only BMW says it has anything to do with standard cars.

This F1 year shows clearly that the old age pensioner (E and M) should go to h*ll.

Too much politics!
...and too little real racing!

Quick Reply: Formula 1, 2009