E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Sportautomatic (SAT) retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 04:19 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 530e Alpine White
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by Laco19
I've done retrofit M5 steering wheel (from 10/2007) on E61 06/2007. You must install two wires to e-box, make coding, etc., but problem is in wiring of steering wheel. M5 use two switches and separate wires for shifting up and down. LCI shifting paddles are connected together via resistors on single wire.
You must modify wiring of paddle connectors (only wire from pin 1) and add 3 resistors to make paddles working.
See attached pdf, small picture on the bottom left is the modification of M5 steering wheel for standard LCI E60.
Wish i gotten this earlier, I have returned the nice M5 wheel and got myself a boring normal LCI wheel instead. Though haven't put it on yet. Hopefully next month will be finally able to put it in and hop on the autobahn.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:30 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW e60 525Da LCI White, DPF out, Front grill black, Shadow line, license plate super bright led, interior white leds;

oh my god!! i don't belive it :X tks laco 19!!! i ordered the resistors, but i have to learn how to put the resistors, how can i fix these resistors, and i don't manage to decifre the diagram
Old 05-03-2013, 10:47 AM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Soryn14
oh my god!! i don't belive it :X tks laco 19!!! i ordered the resistors, but i have to learn how to put the resistors, how can i fix these resistors, and i don't manage to decifre the diagram
Twist leads of 3 resistors together at one end.
- You have to cut green/wite wire connected to the pin 6 at the the suitable place and solder 330R resistor into the circuit (twisted leads oriented as on photo).
- Cut green/black wire from the connector (pin 4 will be no longer used), shorten wire at appropriate lenght and solder the second end of the 1k5 resistor to the wire.
- Remove small piece of insulation from brown/black wire connected to the pin 3 (GND) and solder the second lead of 3k3 resistor to it.
Before soldering don't forget to push insulation heat shrink tube onto all joints.

Suitable place is in this location.

Now you have working paddles (If you have coded it and installed wires to e-box).

Old 05-04-2013, 01:11 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW e60 525Da LCI White, DPF out, Front grill black, Shadow line, license plate super bright led, interior white leds;

ok, houndreds of thanks:X, i will do how you showed to me, i will anounce you if i have any problems with these resistors thank you verry much again!
Old 05-05-2013, 11:59 PM
New Members

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: LCI E61 530xd allmost full now with SAT
Model Year: 2009
Engine: M57S

Cool stuff here

If I was the administrator I would put the M5 steering wheel retrofit info on a sticky. I would rather not search for such an issuee in the SAT retrofit thread

Timiboy
Old 05-08-2013, 07:27 AM
Members

yeah timiboy you are right! this showld be sticky!!
Old 05-12-2013, 01:40 PM
Members

one question laco 19 i have to change any connection of the paddles, cut something or i put the resistors and is done ? i can't understand nothing in diagram i have to cut the wire pin 1 from left paddle and right paddle and connect to 6 pin of connection?

Last edited by Soryn14; 05-12-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:05 PM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have to cut two wires (green/white, green/black) aprox. at the same place as on the picture bellow (not from paddle connectors!) and connect them to the resistors.

Look to the schematic, this is the only part of paddles wiring. All other wiring remains without changes:
Old 05-12-2013, 10:11 PM
Members

ok, thank you verry much for you prompted ansewr, i will try right now !! you are verry helpful!
Old 05-14-2013, 03:42 PM
New Members

My Ride: E60 530i LCI N53

Finally completed my next stage of LCI SAT retro-fit this evening, I flashed the EGS to the SAT $2TB firmware and then had to recoded it so it has no paddles fitted.
What a difference it made, I knew I should of flashed earlier but did'nt have the guts in case I screwed it up.

Now when I press the Sport button whilst in D it goes into a similar mode as DS (ie drops a gear, holds revs higher, faster shifts) as well as stiffer steering and more aggresive throttle response, it never did this before the flash upgrade, it just gave stiffer steering.

People always ask what the difference between using DS compared to Sport button, well in DS without Sport engaged its the same but without the stiffer steering. I now get the gear display showing S1 - S6 when in DS, before just shows DS on Kombi

The best bit and the most noticable from the back to back testing tonight was when using the manual mode via the gearshift, with Sport activated the manual shifting response was MUCH faster, almost near instantaneous response, the downshift especially produced a much more pronounced rev-match (blipping) but the trade-off was that the changes were more jerky, with Sport switched off the manual shifting was very noticebly slower.

My next stage would be to upgrade to the SAT paddle shift steering wheel

Quick Reply: Sportautomatic (SAT) retrofit