E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Sportautomatic (SAT) retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 07:15 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone replaced the shifter and everything that goes along with the new M-shifter, but NOT the steering wheel and paddles and gotten "Sport Mode" to work? Is getting the car programmed required to get the functionality (of sport mode) or can you forego the programming and enjoy the benefits by just adding the necessary shifter hardware? I believe I read that you can, you just won't get the "Sport" icon on your dash...

I am going to have about $600 burning in my pocket soon, and would like to do this mod to get Sport Mode, just want confirmation that I can et the Sport functionality and not have to get it programmed since I have no plans to add the paddles..
Old 12-31-2011, 08:26 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 LCI

Originally Posted by Wpg550
You may need to change the SZL to add steering wheel heating to a car that didn't have it originally. There used to be different parts for heated vs. non-heated, although now I think they've migrated to a single replacement part. You don't have to change the SZL just for adding the paddles.

To get a heated steering wheel to work you need to do a picture of the PCB board of the SZL module, where the heating has been installed from the factory and then installed on board the necessary SMD components.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:31 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 LCI

Originally Posted by Mephistopheles
Has anyone replaced the shifter and everything that goes along with the new M-shifter, but NOT the steering wheel and paddles and gotten "Sport Mode" to work? Is getting the car programmed required to get the functionality (of sport mode) or can you forego the programming and enjoy the benefits by just adding the necessary shifter hardware? I believe I read that you can, you just won't get the "Sport" icon on your dash...

I am going to have about $600 burning in my pocket soon, and would like to do this mod to get Sport Mode, just want confirmation that I can et the Sport functionality and not have to get it programmed since I have no plans to add the paddles..
I currently have installed DCT shifter, it's cool, but I do not have a hard steering. The man who updated the firmware said to me, if I had Dinamic DRIVE I would have a hard steering.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:24 PM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hermman
To get a heated steering wheel to work you need to do a picture of the PCB board of the SZL module, where the heating has been installed from the factory and then installed on board the necessary SMD components.
Are you sure this is done by adding SMDs? I think it will have new connectors on top of SZL for heated connectors, where would they come from? I can't wire manually as steering wheel moves and wires may get tangled.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:26 PM
Members

I just added the hardware and it was working straight away. Coding only added one small bit where SPORTS appears on cluster, just visual bit.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:28 AM
Members

AWESOME!!! Thank you so much!! So, where is he best place to buy the parts for this mod?
Old 01-03-2012, 07:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

AWESOME!!! Thank you so much!! So, where is he best place to buy the parts for this mod?
something to think about:
- If you do not update the VO to show the car has the SAT module, then a programming session at the dealer may have some trouble because the module does not match the VO.
-If you do update the VO, then a programming session at the dealer will update the code to reflect the SAT module but there won't be any paddles installed. When the SAT module does not detect the paddles, it will go into an "error" condition and do things like not stay over in the manual shift position.

Programming at the dealer could happen from a simple visit complaining about how something is operating and they decide to update the software.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:21 AM
Members

Ugh, this sucks. I spoke to my dealer about this a while back and they claim to have done a few of these (I don't really believe that, but whatever)...but they wanted to charge like 2.5 hours of labor to do the programming, which I thought was a little high..
Old 01-04-2012, 10:26 AM
Members

Ugh, this sucks. I spoke to my dealer about this a while back and they claim to have done a few of these (I don't really believe that, but whatever)...but they wanted to charge like 2.5 hours of labor to do the programming, which I thought was a little high..
Old 01-04-2012, 12:43 PM
Members

Originally Posted by NoQuarter
something to think about:
- If you do not update the VO to show the car has the SAT module, then a programming session at the dealer may have some trouble because the module does not match the VO.
-If you do update the VO, then a programming session at the dealer will update the code to reflect the SAT module but there won't be any paddles installed. When the SAT module does not detect the paddles, it will go into an "error" condition and do things like not stay over in the manual shift position.

Programming at the dealer could happen from a simple visit complaining about how something is operating and they decide to update the software.
This will only concern those who go to dealership, specially if the car is under warranty. I won't do this retrofit if car still warrantied. If out of warranty I don't give a shit to dealer. I have never seen them updating software of any ecu ever, even if you beg them to do it, even if is under warranty.

I stopped visiting dealer since they couldn't fix my ACC under warranty and infact screwed it fully before handing over the car. Choice is personal though.

Quick Reply: Sportautomatic (SAT) retrofit