E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Headlamp washers!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 12:04 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for those of you wanting to check if you have light washers, or wat the units look like u can lift the little flap in the front bumper up but pushing your finger nail in the front of the groove (the side nearest the light unit). If the peice of plastic lifts up u obviously have washers as it should lift up with very little resistance because the spray nozzles just push it up when they extend. if it doesn't lift up you obviously don't have it.

if you want to see them in action, open your drivers door but leave the windows closed and pull your wiper stalker forward with your lights on by putting your hand though the gap between the door and the rest of the car. Stand as far forward along the bonnet as you can, but still being able to reach the wiper stalk. You will then get a nice view of them in action.

Guys i wouldn't worry too much about the spray on the bonnet, if your windscreen and headlights are dirty enough to need washing, i'm sure a tiny bit of a spray on your bonnet isn't going to matter!!
Old 11-22-2005, 12:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by diesel020' post='201850' date='Nov 22 2005, 04:04 AM
for those of you wanting to check if you have light washers, or wat the units look like u can lift the little flap in the front bumper up but pushing your finger nail in the front of the groove (the side nearest the light unit). If the peice of plastic lifts up u obviously have washers as it should lift up with very little resistance because the spray nozzles just push it up when they extend. if it doesn't lift up you obviously don't have it.

if you want to see them in action, open your drivers door but leave the windows closed and pull your wiper stalker forward with your lights on by putting your hand though the gap between the door and the rest of the car. Stand as far forward along the bonnet as you can, but still being able to reach the wiper stalk. You will then get a nice view of them in action.

Guys i wouldn't worry too much about the spray on the bonnet, if your windscreen and headlights are dirty enough to need washing, i'm sure a tiny bit of a spray on your bonnet isn't going to matter!!
Thats interesting I always thought they were motorised. If its just pressure that operates them, they must be fairly cheap to install. Why not have them as standard on all E60's. Surely a saftey feature.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 BMW E60 530d High Executive

I made a litttle video of it with my phone, so for the guys who want to see what happens to cyclers when they cycle in the middle of the road click below
(its a .3gp file and you need quicktime for it)

HEADLIGHT WASHER
Old 11-22-2005, 09:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i 6 Speed MT, Navigation, PDC, Cold Weather Pkg, Logic7, Prem Pkg, Sport Pkg, Active Steering, Comfort Seats, Comfort Access, HUD, Alpine White on Black Dakota & a Big Grin ;-) <---- On the vessel from Germany... ******** '05 545i 6 Speed MT, Navigation, PDC, Cold Weather Pkg, Logic7, Prem Pkg, Sport Pkg, UUC EVOIII SSK, Silver Gray on Black Dakota..... (Buy back by BMW NA)

I haven't checked it from the outside... but whenever they spray they will splash all over ...
Old 11-22-2005, 01:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by Ralph-NL' post='201878' date='Nov 22 2005, 05:25 AM
I made a litttle video of it with my phone, so for the guys who want to see what happens to cyclers when they cycle in the middle of the road click below

HEADLIGHT WASHER
At last! Thanks for the vid. They look effective
Old 11-22-2005, 02:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

To check to see if they work do this:
1-get in car with friend
2-start driving - keep it over 60 mph to keep the overspray down
3-open passenger window
4-have friend climb out on the hood
5-activate washers

if you want to see them work then have your friend drive the car while you climb out on the hood - but most people do not have a friend close enough to let them drive the car, just climb on its hood

hope this helps

if someone tries this I will deny ever having written this post
Old 11-23-2005, 02:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 BMW E60 530d High Executive

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' post='202199

HEADLIGHT WASHER
At last! Thanks for the vid. They look effective
[/quote]

No problem, yes it's pretty effective...... pretty high pressure