DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY - changing your xenons

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 08:39 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those who want to change their stock xenon bulbs from 4300K to another temp, here's how you do it.

First you have to get the headlamp out, which is a royal PITA. It can be done without taking off the bumper, but it makes it a lot easier. - See DIY Bumper removal here

Whether or not your choose to remove your bumper does not affect this guide. Same bolts, same method, but you will most likely curse the engineer who designed the headlamps if you leave the bumper on.

1A - unscrew the black bolts. they are already loose in this picture

1B - there are two torq bit screws down and behind the headlamp. Do not unscrew these all the way, just loosen them.

1C - After the two top bolts have been removed and the two lower screws have been loosened, you should now be able to slide the headlamp out. Again, I removed my bumper so I have no strategies for helping you get that headlamp out with the bumper still on other than just keep wiggling.

1D - the headlamp is now only attached by two power wires. Use a flat head driver to pop off the lower one first then just slide the bracket down for the top one and it will pop itself off. That's it and now you are free to move on to step two for removing the original bulbs.

2A - push down the plastic tabs. Push down from the side closest to the front of the headlamp as that part is stronger and less likely to break if you give it too much force.

2B - remove the cover

2C - pop off the metal retaining clip. Its sole function is to keep that black wire in place.

2D - twist to "open" and the black wire should come out of its socket. Now remove the metal bracket

2E - squeeze the spring clips together and pull them out. Make sure you do not let the bulb fall out as now there is nothing holding it in there.

Thats it. Your done. Now put it all back together and post some pictures of your new Kolor.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Thanks for the guide; unfortunately there seems to be something wrong with the pics - I am getting blanks!

(BTW - it sounds from your description that there IS a good reason why the Owner's Manual says that bulb replacement is BMW service only... :'( )
Old 01-31-2007, 07:40 AM
Contributors

Two people with picture problems. This is odd. I've logged in from two different computers with mozilla and opera and the pictures load for me

It's too late to edit the original post so I'll just upload the pics to this site in the same order. Note to mods, any help in merging my two posts so the pictures fit the walkthrough?

DIY - changing your xenons-a___unscrew_two_bolts.jpg
DIY - changing your xenons-b___loosen_two_torx_bits.jpg
DIY - changing your xenons-c___loosen_two_torq_bits.jpg
DIY - changing your xenons-c___torq_bits.jpg
DIY - changing your xenons-d___remove_plugs.jpg

DIY - changing your xenons-1___push_down_clips.jpg
DIY - changing your xenons-2___push_down_tabs.jpg
DIY - changing your xenons-2___take_off_cover.jpg
DIY - changing your xenons-3___pop_off_retaining_clip.jpg
DIY - changing your xenons-4___twist_to_open.jpg
DIY - changing your xenons-6___squeeze_and_loosen_spring_clips.jpg
Old 01-31-2007, 08:11 AM
Contributors

Your second post works perfectly (using IE6).
Old 02-10-2007, 11:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Pics of the new lamps ?
Old 02-10-2007, 01:39 PM
Contributors

WTF? Now the first post works too?

Micros**t - what's in a name...

:'(
Old 02-10-2007, 05:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2012 535i M package

does any one knows how to clean the plastic where the xenons are ? in the night when the xenons are on I can see the light and lots of dirty particles ..
Old 02-10-2007, 08:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

This is great! Thanks for posting the pix.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04 525i w/ sports and premium pakage, titanium silver, gray dakota leather w/ polar grain wood trim, steptronic

do i need a special skill to take the headlights out? i loose bolts but i cant get them out. the only outer upper part moves out but it's still stuck.somethings still holding it tight.. maybe two litttle bolts arent loosen enough? i feel like im gonna brake it to just use forces.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:07 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04 525i w/ sports and premium pakage, titanium silver, gray dakota leather w/ polar grain wood trim, steptronic

how do i unscrew those two torq bit screws???i tired with screw driver but i cant. those things r stuck!!!which tool do i need?

Quick Reply: DIY - changing your xenons