E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 for Singaporeans

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 07:47 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may sound like a BMW traitor but I can't help but give my honest opinion on the VW Golf GT 1.4 TSI which I test drove yesterday. It is unbelievable that a car with a 1.4l engine drives likes a car with engine above 2.0l and with such smooth transmission and precise handling. Also, with the claimed low fuel consumption figure, I think it is going to be a winner and with its much lower price compared to the 3 series, will steal the sale from BMW. I think this is the type of car that we will see for the future marrying fuel injection technology with twin turbo to produce a light, efficient and powerful engine.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:58 PM
Senior Members

Hi Everyone,

It's been a while, how's everybody?

Just want to report, I sent my ride in the Kg Arang last week for oil service and a makeover as the 3rd year is coming up and will be out of warranty soon. Quite a good experience overall. Complained about clicking from the steering and they decided to change the steering column including the active steering gearing components. The CSA told me if it's out of warranty, will be over $5K job. They also noticed some cracks and wear on the tension struts, and changed those as well under warranty. My CSA was Ram, indian bloke, quite friendly and obliging. They also did a wheel alignment FOC.

Now the steering feels great, much like it was when the car was new, can't believe I lived with the crappy steering for so long.

BTW, anyone seen Totoseow's new ride? It's so awesome, a Maserati MC Victory, 1 of only 2 in Singapore and 180 in the world I believe. He must be thrilled! You can find pics of it at bmw-sg.com.

Cheers!
Old 05-05-2007, 10:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Nothing to boast about!

Originally Posted by eggz' post='421509' date='May 5 2007, 11:58 PM
Hi Everyone,

It's been a while, how's everybody?

Just want to report, I sent my ride in the Kg Arang last week for oil service and a makeover as the 3rd year is coming up and will be out of warranty soon. Quite a good experience overall. Complained about clicking from the steering and they decided to change the steering column including the active steering gearing components. The CSA told me if it's out of warranty, will be over $5K job. They also noticed some cracks and wear on the tension struts, and changed those as well under warranty. My CSA was Ram, indian bloke, quite friendly and obliging. They also did a wheel alignment FOC.

Now the steering feels great, much like it was when the car was new, can't believe I lived with the crappy steering for so long.

BTW, anyone seen Totoseow's new ride? It's so awesome, a Maserati MC Victory, 1 of only 2 in Singapore and 180 in the world I believe. He must be thrilled! You can find pics of it at bmw-sg.com.

Cheers!
When I first complained about the clicking noise, Eric said he changed the steering column. But I still got clicks after that. Things were changed, until recently Dennis told me virtually everything in the steering has been changed for me. I don't get clicks now but I still have very muted "clok" occasionally (seem to happen during hot afternoons though). They did not manage to fix that. I will monitor and wait for the noise to grow louder. At the moment, the explanation is that that could be due to rubbery parts twisting and turning inside. Not sure about that.

But the experience was good; this time with Dennis. I was actually a bit cheese off the day I caught Jeff. The tech he sent to go with me for a test drive was, err... if PML wants to send these people out to interact with customers, please send them to a course on how to communicate effectively with customers first.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:15 AM
Senior Members

I will give credits where credits due. Remember I asked if I should changed my CSA? I did not, since this was probably my last interaction with PML, I thought I should just do it and move on. Fortunately, it was a good experience.

Sent my car in last week for 4 issues. First to fix the noisy wing mirror when retracting. I still remembered when I sent in my car for the same problem 2 years ago, I was told the sound-proofing made changing mirror motor difficult, as PML had to take out the sound-proof materials to access the wiring. So I said don't do it then, I did not want to give them excuse to rip off the materials. I was sure that the sound-proof materials did not hinder the wiring at all, because I have seen the picture taken by my installer. What the heck, still got 2 years of warranty to go, I could wait. But this time round, the motor was changed without any excuse not to do it.

Secondly, I had that click-click sound from the seat-belt. PML had oil the bugger to mute the clicking noise. If its a new car, I will pursue further to get PML to solve it permanently. But mine is almost 3 years already, so ...

The third issue is the Active Steering Fault. I had this problem since day one, but its intermittent, some software killed it, but the latest upgrade apparently revived it again. Its really intermittent, rarely occured, and if it did, a mere restart clear the fault. The fourth is the aircon. Dryer konked-out.

As I need the car that evening, PML did not complete the jobs. I will have to send it in again tomorrow for issue 3 and 4. And also to fasten the internal door handle as it had come loose when PML took the panel out to replace the wing mirror motor.

I have the confident that it will be another good experience tomorrow. You guys don't think so? Well, that day had come. And I am considering of sending my car to PML for servicing even after warranty period. Am I seow?
Old 05-08-2007, 06:18 PM
Members

Hi guys! I'm currently driving a MY2000 E39 520i that has recently developed intermittent problem and will be replacing it with the LCI E60.

This is one really long thread and I hope you don't mind if my questions have been asked/answered before. Anyway,
(1) Is the anti-friction tape still needed on the door frame to reduce/eliminate the door squeaks? I had it on the E39.
(2) From this thread, I read about the video interface for the iDrive and this gentleman Ah Bao. Who is he and where do I find him?
(3) Has anyone fixed a roof rack (to carry bikes) for the E60?
Old 05-10-2007, 05:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 320i, M3 paddle shift, Sat Nav

Originally Posted by Explorer' post='422392' date='May 9 2007, 10:18 AM
Hi guys! I'm currently driving a MY2000 E39 520i that has recently developed intermittent problem and will be replacing it with the LCI E60.

This is one really long thread and I hope you don't mind if my questions have been asked/answered before. Anyway,
(1) Is the anti-friction tape still needed on the door frame to reduce/eliminate the door squeaks? I had it on the E39.
(2) From this thread, I read about the video interface for the iDrive and this gentleman Ah Bao. Who is he and where do I find him?

Welcome Explorer.

1) E60 still has the window frame noise issue. PML will stick on the friction tape and lube the suede material. If all else fails which it will, the window frame will need to be replaced with the newer version. Bear in mind its not 100% eliminated though.

2) I don't have a clue. Maybe LMK or Edlee would like to shed some light on this?

3) You don't want to fix a roof rack trust me. Wind noise starts at 80km/h. And when you reach 120, its like you are in the middle of hurricane katrina
Old 05-14-2007, 08:03 AM
Members

So far, the anti-friction tape that I fixed on my E39 has been working flawlessly. I'm aware of the wind noise from the roof rack, it's just that if I do go cycling with the family, I have to ferry 4 bikes.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:16 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 320i, M3 paddle shift, Sat Nav

Originally Posted by Explorer' post='424203' date='May 15 2007, 12:03 AM
So far, the anti-friction tape that I fixed on my E39 has been working flawlessly. I'm aware of the wind noise from the roof rack, it's just that if I do go cycling with the family, I have to ferry 4 bikes.

4 bikes? The original roof rack can only take 2 bikes one on each side. You might want to check with parts dept if there are any other alternative. Else, 2 on the roof and another 2 at the back boot. I believe that would be an aftermarket accessory.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:07 PM
Members

Yeap, 4 bikes. 2 on top and 2 at the back. That's what I've been doing with my E39. It's just that the roof rack for the E60 doesn't screw into the roof inserts like the E39. It's more like a grip hold on the roof and, in my opinion, doesn't look as sleek. That's what I can gather from pictures I've seen.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:33 PM
Members

My Ride: E60 - 520i Dec 2004 built Previous 320i for 5 years

Originally Posted by Explorer' post='422392' date='May 9 2007, 10:18 AM

I have the bicyle rack for E60 and they are quite well designed. If you are going to ferry the bicycles frequently, you may want to leave the rack there althought it can installed within 20min. It does not look good with the rack on. It has a preloaded mechanism that make the lifting of the bicycle up the roof with ease.

It cost quiet an amount.

Quick Reply: E60 for Singaporeans